17.47°C Vancouver

News

covid-19-in-canada-total-cases-63-496
CanadaMay 07, 2020

COVID-19 in Canada: Total cases - 63,496

There are 63,496 confirmed and presumptive cases in Canada. Quebec: 34,327 confirmed (including 2,510 deaths, 8,284 resolved) Ontario: 18,722 confirmed (including 1,429 deaths, 13,222 resolved) Alberta: 5,963 confirmed (including 112 deaths, 3,552 resolved) British Columbia: 2,255 confirmed (including 124 deaths, 1,494 resolved) Nova Scotia: 998 confirmed (including 41 deaths, 661 resolved) Saskatchewan: 512 confirmed (including 6 deaths, 312 resolved) Manitoba: 273 confirmed (including 7 deaths, 242 resolved), 11 presumptive Newfoundland and Labrador: 259 confirmed (including 3 deaths, 244 r
shops-in-punjab-to-remain-open-from-7am-to-3pm
IndiaMay 07, 2020

Shops in Punjab to remain open from 7am to 3pm

Punjab Home Department on Wednesday said that shops would remain open from 7 am to 3 pm in the State during the coronavirus-induced lockdown. "The State government has now decided that the shops will remain open from 7 am to 3 pm," said the state Home Department in a notification. "The district authorities shall ensure that there is no overcrowding and social distancing is maintained as already advised," adds the notification further. It, however, said that banks shall continue to open for public works only from 9 am to 1 pm but allowed to carry out their non-public dealing office work as per
premier-john-horgan-unveils-plan-for-easing-covid-19-restrictions
BCMay 07, 2020

Premier John Horgan unveils plan for easing COVID-19 restrictions

British Columbians will move forward with safely restarting their province beginning in mid-May, according to a plan announced by Premier John Horgan. Under B.C.'s Restart Plan, government will work closely with public health officials, businesses and labour organizations to lift restrictions in phases, gradually allowing for more social and economic activity, while closely monitoring health information to minimize the risk to the public. "Our plan puts safety first. British Columbians have made enormous sacrifices so far, and it's thanks to them that we're able to begin to lift some restri
covid-19-23-new-cases-and-3-more-deaths-reoported-in-british-columbia
BCMay 07, 2020

COVID-19: 23 new cases and 3 more deaths reported in British Columbia

The province has announced 23 new cases of COVID-19, raising the total to 2,255 cases. Three more deaths have also been recorded. Two in the Vancouver Coastal Health region and one on Vancouver Island, for a total of 124 deaths. Two thirds of people who tested positive for the novel coronavirus have recovered. But chief health officer Doctor Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix say in a statement that cases would quickly surge without continued vigilance.
british-pmboris-johnson-set-a-new-target-for-testing-capacity-of-200-000-tests-a-day
WorldMay 06, 2020

British PM Boris Johnson set a new target for testing capacity of 200,000 tests a day

The U.K. has become the second country to record more than 30,000 deaths as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. Robert Jenrick, the communities secretary, said at the government's daily briefing that another 649 people in the U.K. have died in all settings, including hospitals and care homes, after testing positive for the coronavirus. That takes the U.K.'s official death toll to 30,076, only behind the United States, which has more than 71,000 coronavirus-related deaths. The British government is expected to extend the lockdown restrictions on Thursday when they come up for review, partly
after-4-month-investigation-vancouver-police-uncovered-millions-of-dollars-worth-of-drugs
BCMay 06, 2020

After 4 month investigation, Vancouver police uncovered millions of dollars worth of drugs

Police say Metro Vancouver gangs may be producing their own illegal drug supplies in an effort to get around border closures caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Vancouver police announced officers uncovered millions of dollars worth of drugs, including 20 kilograms of what's suspected to be fentanyl, as part of a four month investigation. Inspector Bill Spearn says police believe the seizure shows gangs may be producing their own drugs to get around closer scrutiny at ports and the Canada-US border. He says it's another example of gangs changing drug trafficking methods to deal with law enforcem
forces-members-killed-in-canadas-worst-military-tragedy-in-more-than-a-decade-honoured-in-emotional-repatriation-ceremony
CanadaMay 06, 2020

Forces Members killed in Canada's worst military tragedy in more than a decade honoured in emotional repatriation ceremony

Six hearses lined up on the tarmac at Canadian Forces Base Trenton in Ontario today, as the Forces Members killed in Canada's worst military tragedy in more than a decade were welcomed home. The families of the dead and missing from last week's helicopter crash off Greece met privately with a mask-wearing Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Trudeau and Governor-General Julie Payette then watched as the casket carrying the remains of Sub-Lieutenant Abbigail Cowbrough was carried from a heavy transport aircraft. The body of the 23-year-old sailor is the only one recovered from the Ionian Sea. The se
31-million-government-action-plan-to-combat-mental-health-impacts-of-pandemic-in-quebec
CanadaMay 06, 2020

$31-million government action plan to combat mental health impacts of pandemic in Quebec

Quebec is reporting an additional 112 deaths from COVID-19, bringing the provincial total to 2,510. The total number of cases has risen to 34,327, an increase of 910 from the previous day. Of those cases, 8,284 are classified as recovered. There are 1,840 people in hospital, including 213 in intensive care. Deputy premier Genevieve Guilbault announced a $31-million government action plan to combat mental health impacts of the pandemic.
chief-public-health-officer-acknowledged-covid-19-related-deaths-in-canada-have-exceeded-the-national-projections
CanadaMay 06, 2020

Chief public health officer acknowledged, COVID-19 related deaths in Canada have exceeded the national projections

The chief public health officer has acknowledged that the number of deaths as a result of COVID-19 in Canada has now exceeded the national projections for potentially 3,883 deaths by May 5. Just over 4,100 people have died in Canada to date. Tam says the increased number of deaths is due to the tragic fact that those who were infected weeks ago are now coming to the end stages of COVID-19, and are passing away, most often those in long-term care facilities. But Dr. Theresa Tam points out that the epidemic still appears to be slowing down and that the doubling time for infections is now at abo

Just In

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in