18.35°C Vancouver

News

b-c-reports-33-new-covid-19-cases-and-2-new-deaths
BCMay 07, 2020

B.C. reports 33 new COVID-19 cases and 2 new deaths

BC is reporting 33 new cases of COVID-19 and two new deaths. That raises the total number of cases to 2,288 with 126 deaths, while more than 1,500 people have fully recovered. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says everyone is looking forward to a new phase after the May long weekend when some COVID-19 restrictions are eased. But she says just because it's allowed, doesn't mean everyone should expand their social bubbles or reopen businesses depending on their own unique circumstances.
greyhound-canada-to-shut-down-temporarily-all-bus-routes-as-ridership-plunges
CanadaMay 07, 2020

Greyhound Canada to shut down temporarily all bus routes as ridership plunges

Greyhound Canada is temporarily slamming the brakes on all of its busing routes and services as ridership plummets amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The transportation company says starting May 13 it will halt all routes until passenger demand recovers. Greyhound Canada says it made the decision after its ridership dropped by 95 per cent. The bus operator says it has already cut costs across its business and "made significant outreach efforts" to provincial and federal governments seeking financial support. It says 400 employees will be affected by the decision. Greyhound Canada has pulled back on
b-c-government-announces-ambitious-plan-to-reschedule-thousands-of-cancelled-surgeries
BCMay 07, 2020

B.C. government announces "ambitious plan" to reschedule thousands of cancelled surgeries

The B.C. government is announcing what it describes as an ``ambitious plan'' to rescheduled thousands of cancelled surgeries and increase capacity in the health-care system. The government estimates it will take 17 to 24 months to clear a backlog of 30,000 patients whose surgeries have been cancelled or weren't scheduled because COVID-19 health restrictions. It says those patients joined or remained on an existing backlog, bringing the total waiting list to 93,000. The first year of the plan will cost $250 million, and includes hiring additional staff, expanding hours, opening new and unused
b-c-reports-highest-overdose-related-death-toll-this-year-in-march
BCMay 07, 2020

B.C. reports highest overdose related death toll this year in March

Overdose deaths in British Columbia jumped in March compared with February, and marked the first time the monthly death toll exceeded 100 in the past year. The BC Coroners Service says 113 people died in March of suspected illicit drug toxicity, which is a three per cent dip from March of last year but represents a 61 per cent increase from February. It says the last time there were more than 100 deaths in a month was in March 2019. The service says 76 per cent of those who have died from illicit overdose deaths this year were men, and the Northern Health authority has the highest rate of ove
governor-general-julie-payette-lessons-being-learned-will-be-useful-for-potential-upcoming-crises
CanadaMay 07, 2020

Governor General Julie Payette: Lessons being learned will be useful for potential upcoming crises

Governor General Julie Payette says the lessons being learned from the COVID-19 pandemic will be useful for potential upcoming crises. Payette points out that natural disasters, like volcanic eruptions or asteroids, could cause major disruptions to life in Canada. She suggests science could help foresee those catastrophes and the country would have time to plan and react. Payette, a former astronaut, says one of the things she learned from her past job is to spend a lot of time planning when things are quiet so everyone is ready to work together when ``all hell breaks loose.''
dr-theresa-tam-going-to-a-cottage-or-a-second-home-can-be-a-bad-idea
CanadaMay 07, 2020

Dr. Theresa Tam: Going to a cottage or a second home can be a bad idea

Dr. Theresa Tam says it's a bad idea to go to a cottage or a second home if you risk straining local health resources. Rules and advice on how to apply that will vary from province to province and situation to situation, though. In Ontario, for instance, Premier Doug Ford has called on people who own cottages not to leave city homes for them over the upcoming Victoria Day weekend, after previously saying he thought it might be OK. Tam says part of the concern is about spreading the virus that causes COVID-19, and part is about simply having too many people heading to places that don't have the
feds-to-partly-cover-top-ups-for-front-line-workers-on-minimum-wage
CanadaMay 07, 2020

Feds to partly cover 'top ups' for front-line workers on minimum wage

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government, provinces and territories will spend $4 billion to increase the wages of essential workers in the COVID-19 pandemic.He says the details are still to be finalized with some provinces.But Trudeau says all the country's first ministers agree that front-line workers who are risking their health and make minimum wage deserve a raise.It will be up to each province to decide which workers count as ``essential'' and will get a top-up.Trudeau says Canadians are relying on these workers now, more than ever, and all provinces and territories work
1-350-canadian-armed-forces-members-to-provide-support-at-quebecs-long-term-care-homes-sajjan
CanadaMay 07, 2020

1,350 Canadian Armed Forces members to provide support at Quebec’s long term care homes : Sajjan

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says as of today, the Canadian Armed Forces will have 1,020 personnel committed to 20 long-term care homes in Quebec.He says that includes 670 medical and support staff inside the facilities, as well as 350 members providing outside support such as delivering personal protective equipment.Sajjan says by mid-May, more than 1,350 Forces members will be helping in 25 of the province's long-term care homes. There are also 265 Forces personnel assisting at five facilities in Ontario.Canadian Forces members are also helping in rural and remote regions doing in contact
b-c-plans-reopening-of-schools-amid-the-covid-19-pandemic
BCMay 07, 2020

B.C. plans reopening of schools amid the COVID-19 pandemic

Students in K to 12 education will be returning to school in September, with only a partial return this school year. Students in post-secondary education will be returning to school in September with a mix of online and in-class learning. On Wednesday, B.C. Premier John Horgan said classes will fully resume in September. Routine daily screening protocols would be place at schools, but provincial health officer Doctor Bonnie Henry is expected to provide more details. Premier John Horgan says the province wants to do a dry run in June to consider how the education system could operate to prevent

Just In

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in