16.12°C Vancouver

News

india-asked-41-canadian-diplomats-to-leave-country-by-october-10
CanadaOct 03, 2023

India asked 41 Canadian diplomats to leave country by October 10

Another news has come out amid heightened tensions between India and Canada.India has ordered 41 Canadian diplomats to leave the country.According to the Financial Times report, India has asked Canada to recall 41 diplomats by October 10.Tensions have been running high between India and Canada for the past few weeks after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau accused India of involvement in the death of Sikh leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar.After this, India stopped visa services for Canadian citizens.There are 62 Canadian diplomats working in India, out of which around 41 diplomats have been asked to with
trudeau-apologizes-for-honouring-person-from-nazi-unit-in-parliament
CanadaSep 27, 2023

Trudeau apologizes for honouring person from Nazi unit in Parliament

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau apologized for Parliament's recognition of a man who fought alongside the Nazis during last week's address by Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.House Speaker Anthony Rota resigned yesterday after a controversy over inviting a man who had fought for the Nazi unit to a parliamentary event honoring the president of Ukraine that led to continued opposition to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and an apology was also being sought for the same.Trudeau said he was very sorry for all the members standing and applauding in this House on Friday, even though they were unawar
house-speaker-anthony-rota-resigns
CanadaSep 26, 2023

House Speaker Anthony Rota resigns

House Speaker Anthony Rota has resigned.There were constant demands for Rota's resignation.Rota's resignation will be effective at the end of the meeting day on Wednesday.He had invited 98-year-old Yaroslav Hunka who fought for the Nazis to attend a speech by the President of Ukraine.Earlier, the opposition demanded the resignation of the Speaker, but later some cabinet ministers also joined.Anthony also apologized to the MPs when the proceedings of Parliament started on Monday.While apologizing for this in the House of Commons, Speaker Rota said that he alone was responsible for inviting this
india-has-suspended-indian-visa-services-for-canadians
CanadaSep 21, 2023

India suspends visa services in Canada

Due to the tension between India and Canada over the murder of Hardeep Singh Nijjar, the Indian government has taken a big decision.External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said that Canadians will not get visas for now.He cited security as the reason behind this.Indian visa processing services have been suspended from September 21 until further notice, the BLS Indian Visa Application Center said in a statement.80,000 Canadian tourists visited India in 2021, making them the fourth largest group according to the Immigration Bureau of India.Meanwhile, Indian Foreign Ministry spokesp
nijjar-death-case-vancouver-police-boost-security-at-indian-consulate-since-trudeau-remarks
BCSep 20, 2023

Nijjar death case: Vancouver police boost security at Indian Consulate since Trudeau remarks

The Vancouver Police Department says it's beefing up security outside India's Consulate after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said this week there was credible intelligence about a potential link between India's government and the killing of a Sikh community leader in B.C.Const. Tania Visintin, the department's media relations officer, says police are "closely monitoring the situation" since Trudeau's announcement about the killing of Hardeep Singh Nijjar, a vocal supporter of an independent Sikh homeland, who was shot dead in Surrey in June.She says Vancouver police aren't aware of any specific
covid-19-numbers-spike-in-b-c-241-patients-admitted-to-hospitals
BCSep 08, 2023

COVID-19 numbers spike in B.C., 241 patients admitted to hospitals

British Columbia is experiencing a spike in COVID-19 numbers, with cases, test positivity, hospitalizations and deaths all up in recent weeks.The BC Centre for Disease Control says in a monthly report that 447 people tested positive in tests funded by the province's medical services plan in the week ending Sept. 2, more than triple the 133 cases in the week ending Aug. 12.Positivity doubled to about 18 per cent in the same period.The increase in COVID-19 numbers comes after the detection of Canada's first known case of the BA. 2.86 variant last month in B.C., but the centre says that remains t
economy-pulled-back-in-q2-revises-q1-growth-lower-statistics-canada
CanadaSep 01, 2023

Economy pulled back in Q2, revises Q1 growth lower: Statistics Canada

The Canadian economy appeared to stall in the second quarter as Statistics Canada says the economy contracted at an annualized rate of 0.2 per cent in the second quarter. The agency also revised its reading for growth in the first quarter to an annual pace of 2.6 per cent, down from 3.1 per cent. Economists say the latest spending data showing a contraction in the economy suggests the Bank of Canada's rate hiking campaign may be coming to an end. Statistics Canada says the economy contracted at an annualized rate of 0.2 per cent in the second quarter. The pullback in the second quarter came as
CanadaSep 01, 2023

CRA fired 120 employees inappropriately claiming CERB

The Canada Revenue Agency says 120 people have been fired for claiming a federal COVID-19 benefit while employed there. The CRA is reviewing approximately 600 cases in which current employees received the Canada Emergency Response Benefit — or CERB — during the COVID-19 pandemic. The benefit was worth $2,000 a month to Canadians whose jobs were lost or downgraded as a result of public-health restrictions. The CRA said in July that it had let 20 employees go as a result of its CERB investigation, but it now says that number is up to 120. Claims for CERB were found to be legitimate in 30 cas
walmart-diesel-and-hugo-boss-under-question-forced-labor-investigation-begins
CanadaAug 24, 2023

Walmart, Diesel and Hugo Boss under question, forced labor investigation begins

Canada's corporate ethics watchdog is investigating allegations that Walmart, Hugo Boss and Diesel involved forced labor in their supply chains.Sheri Meyerhoffer released three reports today that say none of the three companies have done enough to disclose that the products they are selling in Canada are free of slave labor.These are the fourth, fifth and sixth investigations announced by the Canadian Ombudsperson for Responsible Enterprise (CORE) since it began accepting complaints in March, 2021.Last month CORE announced investigations into Nike Canada and Canadian mining company Dynasty Gol

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees