19.79°C Vancouver

News

b-c-covid-19-immunizations-still-on-track-for-end-of-march-dr-bonnie-henry
BCJan 19, 2021

B.C. COVID-19 immunizations still on track for end of March: Dr. Bonnie Henry

British Columbia's top doctor says production delays for the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine are a temporary setback that will slow down the delivery of first doses in the province over the next few weeks. But Dr. Bonnie Henry says B.C. is still on track to vaccinate its most vulnerable residents by the end of March, ahead of a significant expansion of the province's immunization program in April. She says a shortfall of about 60,000 doses of vaccine should be made up in March. B.C. has recorded 1,330 new cases of COVID-19 since Friday, including 301 in the last 24 hours, the lowest single-d
biden-indicates-plans-to-cancel-keystone-xl-pipeline-permit-on-1st-day-in-office-documents-show
CanadaJan 18, 2021

Biden indicates plans to cancel Keystone XL pipeline permit on 1st day in office, documents show

Transition documents suggest president-elect Joe Biden plans to block the Keystone XL pipeline on his first day in the White House.The documents, seen by The Canadian Press, include a to-do list dated Wednesday that includes rescinding the construction permit signed by predecessor Donald Trump.Campaign officials promised in May that if elected, Biden would cancel the controversial cross-border project, but the timeline was never clear until now.The pipeline expansion would ferry up to 830,000 additional barrels a day of diluted bitumen from Alberta's oilsands to refineries along the U.S. Gulf
b-c-crosses-60-000-covid-19-cases-since-the-start-of-pandemic-509-cases-and-9-deaths-reported-today
BCJan 16, 2021

B.C. crosses 60,000 COVID-19 cases since the start of pandemic; 509 cases and 9 deaths reported today

BC reported 509 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, bringing the province's total to 60,117. There have been nine new deaths from the virus since the province's last update. Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry say in a joint statement that there are 4,604 active cases of COVID-19. They say residents must continue to work together as short-term production delays affect the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. So far, 75,614 people have received COVID-19 vaccine shots in BC. 349 people are currently hospitalized, of those 68 are in intensive care.
dr-theresa-tam-says-bc-is-sending-an-important-message-to-the-rest-of-the-country
CanadaJan 15, 2021

Dr. Theresa Tam says, BC is sending an important message to the rest of the country

Canada's top doctor says BC is sending an important message to the rest of the country as officials in this province explore limits on interprovincial travel. Doctor Theresa Tam, chief medical officer of health, says now is not the time for vacation travel, across the country or anywhere else. She says halting interprovincial travel would be a difficult decision but could limit potential contact with COVID-19 carriers, slowing the spread of the virus. Premier John Horgan said yesterday that his government is seeking legal opinions on whether restrictions can be placed on visitors to BC. This
pfizer-biontech-temporarily-reducing-deliveries-of-covid-19-vaccine-pm-trudeau-says-there-will-be-a-few-bumps-along-the-way
CanadaJan 15, 2021

The goal to have enough vaccines for every Canadian who wants one by September, still on: PM Trudeau

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his government is working day in and day out to get vaccines delivered as quickly as possible. But he says with an undertaking this historic, it's only to be expected that there will be a few bumps along the way. Pfizer-BioNTech is temporarily reducing deliveries of its COVID-19 vaccine to Canada because of production issues in Europe.Trudeau says it is an issue out of our hands. Trudeau says this does not impact the goal to have enough vaccines for every Canadian who wants one by September.
pfizer-cutting-back-vaccine-deliveries-to-canada-due-to-production-issues
CanadaJan 15, 2021

Pfizer cutting back vaccine deliveries to Canada due to production issues

Procurement Minister Anita Anand says production issues in Europe will temporarily reduce Pfizer-BioNTech's ability to deliver vaccines to Canada. Anand says the U.S drug-maker is temporarily reducing deliveriesbecause of issues with its European production lines.She adds that while the company says it will still be able to deliver four million doses by the end of March, that is no longer guaranteed.Anand says it's unfortunate, but such delays and issues are to beexpected when global supply chains are stretched well beyond their limits.Canada has received about 380,000 doses of the vaccine so
b-c-reports-first-case-of-south-african-covid-19-strain-four-now-from-the-u-k
BCJan 15, 2021

B.C. reports first case of South African COVID-19 strain, four now from the U.K.

British Columbia's provincial health officer expressed concern as she reported the first South African strain of COVID-19 uncovered in the province. Dr. Bonnie Henry says the person who contracted the South African variant had not travelled or had contact with anyone who did. She says officials are investigating where this person might have picked up the virus. Another person has also tested positive for the British variant of the virus, bringing that total to four cases, all connected to travel. Dr. Henry says there doesn't appear to have been any community spread of those infections. Offici
b-c-seeking-legal-advice-on-limiting-interprovincial-travel-premier-john-horgan
BCJan 14, 2021

B.C. seeking legal advice on limiting interprovincial travel: Premier John Horgan

British Columbia's premier says his government is seeking legal advice on whether it can limit non-essential travel from people out of province during the pandemic. Premier John Horgan says there is concern about people coming from other provinces or territories and spreading COVID-19. Horgan says he and other premiers across the country have made the case for Canadians to stay home during the pandemic, but people continue to travel. He says the issue has been discussed for months and it's time to determine if the government can or can't act. The issue will be discussed during the NDP governm
24-years-after-reena-virks-murder-parole-board-continues-kelly-ellards-release
BCJan 14, 2021

24 years after Reena Virk's murder, parole board continues Kelly Ellard's release

The 38 year old woman convicted of murdering teenager Reena Virk near Victoria in 1997 will be allowed to continue her day parole. The Parole Board of Canada has released its ruling on Kelly Ellard, who now goes by the name of Kerry Sim. In a decision released Thursday, the board says Sim, now the mother of two young children, remains "positive and compliant" in the community and continues to have high reintegration potential. Her day parole was expanded last summer to allow her to live away from a residential facility for up to five days each week and the parole board is continuing that orde

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to