21.32°C Vancouver

News

liberals-secure-majority-after-three-byelection-wins-under-prime-minister-mark-carney
CanadaApr 14, 2026

Liberals secure majority after three byelection wins under Prime Minister Mark Carney

The Liberal Party led by Prime Minister Mark Carney has secured a majority government following victories in three federal byelections held Monday, according to preliminary election results. The party now holds 174 seats in the House of Commons, surpassing the 172 seats required for a majority. According to Elections Canada results, Liberal candidates won comfortably in the Ontario ridings of University–Rosedale and Scarborough South West, while narrowly capturing Terrebonne in Quebec by roughly 700 votes. This marks the first time in Canadian history that a governing party has moved from mi
voters-cast-ballots-in-three-byelections-that-could-give-liberals-majority-in-house
CanadaApr 13, 2026

Voters cast ballots in three byelections that could give Liberals majority in House

Voters are heading to the polls in three federal byelections today that are expected to determine whether the governing Liberals secure a majority in the House of Commons. Two of the ridings are long-held Liberal seats in the Toronto area, while a third contest in Terrebonne, Que., is considered competitive between the Bloc Québécois and the Liberals. The Quebec riding is being closely watched as it could decide whether the government crosses the majority threshold. According to Elections Canada, the byelections were called to fill vacancies left by former Liberal MPs Bill Blair and Chrystia
statcan-to-publish-march-jobs-data-after-labour-markets-rough-start-to-2026
CanadaApr 10, 2026

StatCan to publish March jobs data after labour market's rough start to 2026

Statistics Canada is set to release its March labour force survey Friday, offering the latest snapshot of Canada’s job market after a sharp slowdown at the start of the year. According to a Reuters poll of economists, the economy is expected to have added 15,000 jobs in March. That would follow losses totalling more than 100,000 positions in January and February combined, based on previous labour force data. The same poll projects the national unemployment rate will edge up to 6.8 per cent. Economists at RBC, however, expect the rate to hold at 6.7 per cent, citing modest hiring conditions t
b-c-premier-defends-proposed-temporary-suspension-of-parts-of-dripa-in-letter-to-indigenous-leaders
BCApr 09, 2026

B.C. premier defends proposed temporary suspension of parts of DRIPA in letter to Indigenous leaders

British Columbia Premier David Eby says a proposed move to suspend sections of the province’s Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act is intended to address legal uncertainty, not weaken First Nations rights. In a letter to Indigenous leaders, Eby wrote that the government is considering a temporary pause on certain provisions of Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act to clarify how land use and resource management decisions are made. According to the letter, the goal is to resolve uncertainty that has emerged in regulatory processes. Eby has previously argued that a
ontario-mp-marilyn-gladu-leaves-conservatives-to-join-liberals
CanadaApr 08, 2026

Ontario MP Marilyn Gladu leaves Conservatives to join Liberals

Ontario MP Marilyn Gladu says she has left the Conservative caucus and will sit with the Liberals under Prime Minister Mark Carney, becoming the fifth member of Parliament to cross the floor since November. Gladu confirmed the move in a statement, saying she will support the government’s agenda going forward. The reasons for her decision were not immediately detailed, and it is not clear whether she will take on a formal role within the Liberal caucus. Floor crossings do not trigger a byelection under federal rules, meaning Gladu will continue to represent her Ontario riding as a Liberal MP
first-nation-seeks-court-injunction-to-halt-alberta-separation-petition
FeaturedApr 07, 2026

First Nation seeks court injunction to halt Alberta separation petition

An Alberta First Nation is in court Tuesday seeking an injunction to stop a citizen-led petition campaign advocating for the province to leave Canada. The Sturgeon Lake Cree Nation has filed an application in the Court of King’s Bench in Edmonton, asking a judge to suspend the campaign while legal questions over treaty rights are addressed. According to the court filing, the First Nation argues that any move toward Alberta’s separation from Canada would require the consent of First Nations under existing treaties. The application alleges that the governments of Alberta and Canada, along wi
environment-canada-warns-of-strong-winds-across-b-c-south-coast-starting-monday
BCApr 06, 2026

Environment Canada warns of strong winds across B.C. south coast starting Monday

Environment Canada has issued a special weather statement warning of strong winds across British Columbia’s then coast beginning Monday afternoon. According to the federal weather agency, gusts of up to 70 km/h are expected to develop late Monday as a cold front moves across the South Coast. The winds are forecast to continue into Tuesday morning. The statement applies to several , including Metro Vancouver, Greater Victoria, eastern Vancouver Island and the Southern Gulf Islands. Environment Canada says the system will bring “strong and gusty” westerly winds in the wake of what it descr
canada-super-60-season-2-returns-to-bc-place-stadium
BCApr 02, 2026

Canada Super 60 season 2 returns to BC Place Stadium

The Canada Super 60 league is set to return to Vancouver's iconic BC Place Stadium. The second season of the league has been announced. This time, the league will be played from September 29 to October 4. Organizers say that the league will once again see the combination of the game of cricket with entertainment, cultural activities and concerts. League organizer Yuvraj Singh, iconic former international cricketer, says that the first season was successful and we are happy that we are now going ahead with the second season. Yuvraj Singh with BC Premier David Eby at BC Place stadium during the
anand-to-join-u-k-led-talks-on-strait-of-hormuz-as-conflict-disrupts-global-oil-shipments
CanadaApr 01, 2026

Anand to join U.K.-led talks on Strait of Hormuz as conflict disrupts global oil shipments

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand is set to join multi-nation talks hosted by the United Kingdom on Thursday aimed at identifying diplomatic options to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a key global trade corridor disrupted by the ongoing Iran conflict. Anand said Canada is prepared to support efforts to secure the strait once a ceasefire is in place, though she indicated the federal government has not yet determined what specific measures it would take. According to her office, the discussions will focus on restoring safe passage for commercial shipping amid rising tensions in the region. The c

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees