23.74°C Vancouver

News

federal-government-announces-1-5b-tariff-relief-after-u-s-expands-trade-measures
CanadaMay 04, 2026

Federal government announces $1.5B tariff relief after U.S. expands trade measures

The federal government says it will roll out $1.5 billion in tariff relief following recent changes by the United States that broadened the scope of its tariff measures last month. According to a federal announcement, the package includes a new $1 billion program through the Business Development Bank of Canada aimed at supporting the manufacturing sector. The government says the program is intended to help businesses manage cost pressures and maintain operations amid shifting trade conditions. The plan also includes a $500 million top-up to the regional tariff response fund, which provides tar
CanadaMay 04, 2026

CSIS report flags India, China among countries linked to foreign interference in Canada

Canada’s intelligence agency says several foreign states, including India and China, continue to be active in interference and espionage efforts targeting Canada, according to its latest annual report. The 2025 report from the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) names India, China, Pakistan, Iran and Russia as countries engaged in activities such as foreign interference, intelligence gathering and influence operations. The findings are based on CSIS assessments of threats to national security. According to the report, Chinese intelligence services have adapted their methods, includ
federal-government-commits-9-8m-to-canada-soccer-training-centre-project-in-vancouver
CanadaMay 01, 2026

Federal government commits $9.8M to Canada Soccer training centre project in Vancouver

The federal government has announced $9.8 million in funding for early-stage work on a proposed national training centre for Canada Soccer in Vancouver. According to a federal announcement made Friday, the funding will support the design, planning and pre-construction phases of the project. Secretary of State for Sport Adam van Koeverden and Housing and Infrastructure Minister Gregor Robertson outlined the investment at a news conference in Vancouver. Van Koeverden said the funding is aimed at developing a high-performance training facility for athletes, adding the project is intended to stren
CanadaMay 01, 2026

Canada reduces refugee health coverage, introduces co-payments for prescriptions and supplementary care

Cuts to federally funded health coverage for refugees and asylum claimants took effect Friday, introducing new out-of-pocket costs for medications and certain health services. According to federal program changes to the Interim Federal Health Program, refugees will now be required to pay $4 per prescription and cover 30 per cent of the cost for supplementary health products and services. These include mental health counselling, dental care, vision care, medical devices and mobility aids such as wheelchairs. Until now, the program provided full health coverage for eligible refugees until they q
carney-appoints-jonathan-wilkinson-as-canadas-next-ambassador-to-the-european-union
CanadaApr 30, 2026

Carney appoints Jonathan Wilkinson as Canada’s next ambassador to the European Union

Prime Minister Mark Carney has appointed Member of Parliament and former cabinet minister Jonathan Wilkinson as Canada’s next ambassador to the European Union, according to a news release from the Prime Minister’s Office. Wilkinson, who represents North Vancouver–Capilano, previously served in senior cabinet roles under former prime minister Justin Trudeau, including minister of natural resources and minister of environment and climate change. The Prime Minister’s Office said Wilkinson brings “proven experience, judgment and leadership” to the role as Canada seeks to strengthen its
carney-to-visit-saudi-arabia-amid-renewed-canada-gulf-relations
CanadaApr 30, 2026

Carney to visit Saudi Arabia amid renewed Canada–Gulf relations

Prime Minister Mark Carney is expected to visit Saudi Arabia in the coming period, in what would be the first trip by a Canadian prime minister to the kingdom in at least two decades. According to government officials, the visit follows an invitation from Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and comes after recent efforts by both countries to rebuild diplomatic ties that were strained for several years. The dispute dates back to 2018, when the former Trudeau government criticized Saudi Arabia’s justice system and raised concerns about the arrest of women’s rights activists. In response, Saudi
vancouver-police-searching-for-missing-man-with-liver-disease
BCApr 29, 2026

Vancouver Police searching for missing man with liver disease

The Vancouver Police Department is seeking help from the public in locating a missing man who was last seen near the 29th Avenue SkyTrain Station on the morning of April 25. Gurminder Dhaliwal is a 46-year-old South Asian man who suffers from liver disease, who has difficulty walking because of his illness. Mr. Dhaliwal is 6'2" and weighs 196 lbs. He was last seen wearing Merrell hiking boots and a blue or grey hoodie with “Team Canada” written on the front. Mr. Dhaliwal’s family wants people to know he is not a risk to the public. If seen, please call 911 and wait with Mr. Dhaliwal un
federal-government-allocates-up-to-145m-for-world-cup-security-in-toronto-vancouver
BCApr 29, 2026

Federal government allocates up to $145M for World Cup security in Toronto, Vancouver

The federal government says it will provide up to $145 million to support security operations during FIFA World Cup matches scheduled this summer in Toronto and Vancouver. According to a Public Safety Canada news release, the funding responds to “specific operational needs identified by the host provinces and cities,” where 13 matches are set to take place in June and July as part of the tournament co-hosted by Canada, the United States and Mexico. The federal government says the funding is intended to reduce financial pressure on municipal and provincial governments while ensuring law enf
one-dead-one-injured-in-targeted-shooting-in-surreys-newton-area
CanadaApr 29, 2026

One dead, one injured in targeted shooting in Surrey’s Newton area

A man is dead and another was taken to hospital with minor injuries after a shooting in Surrey’s Newton neighbourhood on Tuesday evening, according to police. Surrey Police Service Staff Sgt. Lindsey Houghton said the incident occurred at 7p.m. in the 6800-block of 148 Street. Officers responding to reports of shots fired found two victims inside a vehicle parked in a residential driveway. One person was pronounced dead at the scene, while the second was transported to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. According to police, CCTV footage shows a silver car attempting to reverse out

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees