18.17°C Vancouver

News

man-wanted-on-a-canada-wide-warrant-for-second-degree-murder-arrested-new-westminster-police
BCFeb 05, 2021

Man wanted on a Canada wide warrant for second-degree murder arrested: New Westminster Police

Police in New Westminster have arrested a man wanted on a Canada wide warrant for second-degree murder out of Calgary. Police say they found the 19 year old suspect, Michael Elendu, at a home in the city and arrested him without incident. Elendu was being sought in connection with the murder of 20 year old Kyreese Wright, who was found stabbed to death the morning of December 16th in Calgary. Elendu was transported to New Westminster police department cells and he will be returned to Calgary to face the charge there. New Westminster Police Department on Twitter: Second degree murder suspect f
b-c-officials-urge-safe-choices-on-super-bowl-sunday-amid-covid-19-variants
BCFeb 05, 2021

B.C. officials urge 'safe choices' on Super Bowl Sunday amid COVID-19 variants

The COVID-19 curve is slowly bending downward in British Columbia but health officials are urging caution for those making weekend plans given the presence of new variants. The province confirmed 465 new cases Thursday for a total of 69,245 since the pandemic began. There are 4,447 active cases and of those, 257 people are hospitalized including 76 in intensive care. Six more people have died for a total death toll of 1,240 in B.C., while about 62,078 people who tested positive are considered recovered. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix say in a joint s
BCFeb 05, 2021

BC Hydro is urging football fans to consider power consumption on Super Bowl Sunday

BC Hydro is urging football fans to consider power consumption as they munch snacks in front of the television on Super Bowl Sunday. A release from the Crown utility says, thanks to the pandemic, more people will be watching the big game at home, rather than gathering in large groups, and while that meets health requirements, it could hike electricity use. Eight hundred people were surveyed on Hydro's behalf and results show that electricity use is expected to climb as all those halftime snacks are cooked and more people watch the game at home on individual television screens, some even watch
victoria-police-department-gratified-by-the-response-to-a-call-for-information-about-sexualized-violence
BCFeb 05, 2021

Victoria Police Department gratified by the response to a call for information about sexualized violence

Detectives with the Victoria Police Department's special victims unit are gratified by the response to a call for information about sexualized violence alleged to have involved a former employee at a downtown Victoria restaurant. Police issued a public notice on Monday urging witnesses or victims to come forward if they have details about incidents at the bar and grill. Since then, police say the response has been "amazing" and they are working through the many tips, although they caution the process takes time and patience is necessary. Officers were flagged about alleged sexualized violence
nearly-10-000-people-have-received-a-covid-19-shot-in-yukon-but-dr-hanley-says-restrictions-could-remain-even-after-everyone-is-immunized
BCFeb 05, 2021

Nearly 10,000 people have received a COVID-19 shot in Yukon, but Dr. Hanley says restrictions could remain, even after everyone is immunized

Yukon's chief medical officer of health says vaccination is going well and nearly 10,000 people have received a COVID-19 shot. But Dr. Brendan Hanley says restrictions could remain, even after everyone is immunized. Dr. Hanley made the comment during the regular COVID briefing today in Whitehorse. He says Yukon's initial four-phase response plan predicted public health orders might be scaled back once most people were vaccinated, but he says a surge in COVID-19 variants, plus a growing number of cases in northern BC mean Yukon must stay vigilant. Hanley says even though Yukon currently has no
woman-dead-and-man-injured-after-shots-fired-in-surrey
BCFeb 04, 2021

Woman dead and man injured after shots fired in Surrey

A woman is dead and a man has been injured in a shooting in Surrey, B.C., in what police say was not a random act. Police were called Thursday morning to a home after reports of gunshots being heard. Officers found a woman in grave condition and a man suffering non-life-threatening injuries inside the home. Both were taken to hospital, but police say the woman died of her injuries. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has been called to help with the investigation. Surrey RCMP's tweet: One woman is dead and one male injured following a shooting inside a residence this morning in North S
vancouver-man-charged-with-second-degree-murder-for-the-citys-first-homicide-of-2021
BCFeb 04, 2021

Vancouver man charged with second-degree murder for the city's first homicide of 2021

Police say a 48 year old Vancouver man has been charged with second-degree murder for the city's first homicide of 2021. The killing happened in the Downtown Eastside on Sunday. The VPD says Kenneth Gates was arrested that morning after officers were called to a single-occupancy hotel for a double stabbing. Police say 40 year old Jeremy Greene died on scene and a second stabbing victim, a 28 year old, was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Gates remains in custody and he has also been charged with aggravated assault.
police-identify-victim-of-deadly-targeted-shooting-in-langley-b-c
BCFeb 04, 2021

Police identify victim of deadly targeted shooting in Langley, B.C.

Homicide investigators have identified the victim of a targeted shooting in Langley, B.C. Sgt. Frank Jang with the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 22-year-old Arshdeep Singh died in the late-night attack on Jan. 26. Jang says Singh's name and photo are being released in an effort to further the investigation, but he provided no other information. Singh was in the driver's seat of a car parked in a residential area of Langley when it was riddled by gunfire, killing him and injuring a man in the passenger seat.In the hours after the shooting, Jang confirmed Singh had been known to p
burnaby-hospital-reports-new-covid-19-flare-up-two-days-after-declaring-outbreak-over-414-new-covid-19-cases-and-16-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCFeb 04, 2021

Burnaby Hospital reports new COVID-19 flare-up two days after declaring outbreak over; 414 new COVID-19 cases and 16 deaths reported in B.C.

Just a few days after a COVID-19 outbreak was declared over at the hospital in Burnaby, B.C., another flare-up has been reported at the health centre. The Fraser Health authority says nine patients in the medicine unit at Burnaby Hospital have tested positive and it has been temporarily closed to admissions. The emergency department remains open at the hospital and enhanced cleaning and contact tracing has begun. B.C. reported 414 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, for a total of 68,780. There were also 16 more COVID-19-related deaths, 4,426 active cases and 278 in hospital. Provincial healt

Just In

peter-milobar-announces-departure-from-b-c-conservative-caucus
BCAug 14, 2026

Peter Milobar Announces Departure from B.C. Conservative Caucus

Senior B.C. Conservative MLA Peter Milobar has formally announced that he is leaving the party caucus, effective immediately. He will now sit as an independent MLA for Kamloops Centre in the B.C. legislature. Milobar said that over the past several months, it had become increasingly clear to him that his personal values no longer aligned with the party’s new direction under Leader Kami-Leon Findlay. He said he fully respects Findlay’s right to shape the party according to her vision, but stressed that his top priority remains serving the people of Kamloops Centre, a commitment that has not
gunfire-outside-former-jathedar-giani-raghbir-singhs-residence
IndiaAug 14, 2026

Gunfire Outside Former Jathedar Giani Raghbir Singh’s Residence

A firing incident involving the vehicle of former Jathedar of Sri Akal Takht Sahib and former Head Granthi of Sri Harmandir Sahib, Giani Raghbir Singh, has come to light. The incident was discovered when his driver noticed a bullet lodged in the vehicle while cleaning it and immediately informed the police. Giani Raghbir Singh said police have launched an investigation into the incident. He added that he also checked the CCTV footage outside his residence. According to the footage, a sound believed to be a gunshot was heard at around 11:04 p.m. on August 12, after which the security guard pres
b-c-premier-announces-three-cabinet-changes-as-brenda-bailey-takes-leave-for-cancer-treatment
BCAug 14, 2026

B.C. Premier Announces Three Cabinet Changes as Brenda Bailey Takes Leave for Cancer Treatment

British Columbia Premier David Eby has announced three cabinet changes following Finance Minister Brenda Bailey’s decision to take a leave of absence for cancer treatment and recovery. Bailey has been diagnosed with early-stage cancer that is treatable. She is expected to begin treatment in late August 2026 and return to work in early October. She will remain a member of cabinet during her leave. Effective August 14, the changes are: Josie Osborne — Minister of Finance Ravi Kahlon — Minister of Health Brenda Bailey — Minister of Jobs and Economic Growth Bailey is returning to the
downtown-vancouver-stranger-assault-vpd-seeks-witnesses
BCAug 14, 2026

Downtown Vancouver stranger assault: VPD seeks witnesses

Vancouver Police are investigating a random assault that left a man seriously injured near Nelson and Richards streets. Police say a couple was walking back to their hotel after attending a concert at around 11:45 p.m. when a stranger approached from behind and punched one of them in the face. The victim fell and struck his head on the pavement. The suspect then fled toward Granville Street. The victim was taken to hospital with serious injuries. The suspect is described as a white man, approximately 5'5" to 5'8" tall, aged 20 to 35, with a medium build. He was reportedly wearing fingerless gl
CanadaAug 14, 2026

Greer Takes Tough Stance Amid Canada-U.S. Tariff Talks

As Canada continues efforts to secure a tariff deal with the United States, U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer has issued a strong response. Speaking to reporters in Des Moines, Iowa, on Friday, Greer said the proposed 50 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods are not a sudden decision. He said they are a response to retaliatory measures previously imposed by Canada against U.S. products. Greer criticized Canada for imposing retaliatory tariffs rather than engaging directly with Washington, comparing the approach to the strategy used by countries such as China. He pointed to Canadian measure