24.3°C Vancouver

News

victoria-police-chief-disappointed-as-esquimalt-council-rejects-the-portion-of-his-departments-2022-budget
BCMar 23, 2022

Victoria Police Chief disappointed as Esquimalt council rejects the portion of his department's 2022 budget

Victoria Police Chief Del Manak says he's disappointed Esquimalt council has rejected the portion of his department's 2022 budget that would have funded 10 new positions. Esquimalt and the City of Victoria share policing costs for the capital and although Victoria council has approved the department's entire 63.4-million dollar budget, Esquimalt rejected the portion that would have funded the 10 new jobs. Manak says the new hires, including two plainclothes co-responder officers who work as a team with a psychiatric nurse, are ``an essential component of the department's overall core budget r
vpd-investigation-leads-to-charges-in-skytrain-assault
BCMar 23, 2022

VPD investigation leads to charges in SkyTrain assault

Vancouver police say an assault charge has been approved after a man was allegedly shoved down a flight of stairs at a Vancouver SkyTrain station. Police say 53 year old Bradley King faces a single count of assault related to the March 1st incident where video appears to show a 61 year old man being pushed and then kicked as he lay at the bottom of the stairway. Investigators say there was a verbal confrontation between the victim and another man in the moments before the 61 year old was shoved. Court documents show King has been released from custody and is scheduled to return to court on Ap
delta-police-arrest-a-minor-in-arson-case-that-caused-estimated-100-000-in-damage
BCMar 23, 2022

Delta police arrest a minor in arson case that caused estimated $100,000 in damage

Police in Delta say the suspect in an arson case that caused an estimated 100,000 dollars in damage is a minor. Police say the youth was arrested on Friday but has been released, and is expected to appear in court at a later date. They say information is being prepared for a submission to Crown for approval of a charge against the individual. The possible charge is tied to a fire earlier this month at a playground at Chalmers Park in North Delta. Delta police on Twitter: On March 5, 2022 Delta Police responded to a report of a fire at the playground area of Chalmers Park. On March 18, 2022 a
sister-shares-grief-as-man-sentenced-to-10-years-in-death-of-woman-in-b-c
BCMar 23, 2022

Sister shares grief as man sentenced to 10 years in death of woman in B.C.

A man has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for his role in the death of a 49-year-old woman in her home last year in New Westminster, B.C. Carlo Tobias, who is 22, was originally charged with first-degree murder but pleaded guilty to one count each of manslaughter and being an accessory after the fact in the death of Ma Cecilia Loreto. The defence and Crown counsel submitted a joint recommendation of a 10-year sentence, minus 18 months for time served, which Judge Peter La Prairie of the B.C. provincial court agreed to. An agreed statement of facts read in court by Crown counsel Jay Fogel
b-c-reports-254-new-covid-19-cases-as-hospitalizations-continue-to-decrease
BCMar 23, 2022

B.C. reports 254 new COVID-19 cases as hospitalizations continue to decrease

The Health Ministry says there have been no more deaths related to COVID-19 in British Columbia. B.C. reported 254 hospitalizations on Tuesday, a slight drop from Monday when there were 271 people in hospital. It says 48 people were in intensive care. No new outbreaks have been declared in health-care facilities since Monday, and three others have ended. That leaves five facilities with ongoing outbreaks across the health-care system. The government says 91 per cent of eligible people aged 12 and up have had their second dose of a vaccine and 57.1 per cent of those have had a third dose.
outstanding-people-recognized-for-service-during-the-pandemic-in-b-c
BCMar 23, 2022

Outstanding people recognized for service during the pandemic in B.C.

Thirty-one people from throughout B.C. and one group are being honoured with the Medal of Good Citizenship, recognizing outstanding contributions to the well-being of their communities during the COVID-19 pandemic. The virtual medal presentation will take place on Thursday, March 24, 2022. "We are proud to honour these British Columbians who have demonstrated themselves to be extraordinary individuals," said Premier John Horgan. "Each one of them has been singled out by their peers for their tremendous generosity, kindness and selfless acts of service during one of the most challenging times i
abbotsford-police-looking-for-public-assistance-in-identifying-a-black-sports-car-and-driver
BCMar 22, 2022

Abbotsford police looking for public assistance in identifying a black sports car and driver

Abbotsford police is looking for the public’s assistance in identifying a black sports car and driver involved in this dangerous driving incident on March 19th. Saturday evening at 7:27 pm the driver was caught in a dangerous driving action within the 2600 block of Sunnyside Street. Police has shared the video of the incident. Abbotsford police has appealed to share the information if anyone has knowledge about the incident or the driver involved. Click the link to watch video: https://twitter.com/AbbyPoliceDept/status/1506314844919709696
lillooet-man-facing-charges-in-homicide-of-25-year-old
BCMar 22, 2022

Lillooet man facing charges in homicide of 25 year old

RCMP in Lillooet say charges have been laid in last week's homicide in that community. The 35 year old Lillooet man was arrested Saturday and remains in custody. Mounties say 25 year old Leeland Alexander, also from Lillooet, was found on the ground with severe injuries last Tuesday evening. He died a short time later and police have not said how he was killed or offered a motive for the attack, except to say the public is not at risk.
man-appears-in-court-on-a-charge-related-to-discovery-of-a-body-inside-a-van-near-kamloops
BCMar 22, 2022

Man appears in court on a charge related to discovery of a body inside a van near Kamloops

RCMP say a 54 year old man has appeared in court on a charge related to last week's discovery of a body inside a van near Kamloops. Rogelio Bagabuyo, a family lawyer and mediator with an office in Kamloops, has been charged with interference with a dead body and court documents show he remains in custody and had another court date slated for today. RCMP Constable Crystal Evelyn says in a news release that the victim's remains had been found in a plastic bin, but investigators are still waiting for autopsy results before confirming the victim's name or cause of death. The van that contained th

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees