26.14°C Vancouver

News

AlbertaJan 08, 2026

Propane leak from Zamboni blamed for explosion at Taber ice arena

Officials in the southern Alberta town of Taber say a propane leak from an ice resurfacing machine triggered an explosion that damaged the community’s main hockey arena earlier this week. According to the town, the leak occurred inside the arena on Dec. 17, allowing propane gas to build up into a cloud. That gas was later ignited by an electric heater, causing a fireball that blew open a garage door, shattered windows and knocked down interior walls separating the facility’s two ice rinks. Town spokesperson Meghan Brennan said more than a dozen people were inside the building at the time o
alberta-launches-information-portal-for-proposed-oil-pipeline-to-northwest-b-c-coast
AlbertaJan 07, 2026

Alberta launches information portal for proposed oil pipeline to northwest B.C. coast

The Alberta government has unveiled a new website outlining its vision for a proposed oil pipeline that would carry oilsands crude to the northwest coast of British Columbia, as the province continues early groundwork on the long discussed project. The province says the website is intended to serve as a central source of information and updates, aimed at improving public transparency and countering misinformation. The site includes a section addressing common misconceptions, including claims that construction has already started, that Alberta is financing the full project, or that a final pipe
calgary-woman-charged-after-traffic-pylon-thrown-from-downtown-balcony
AlbertaJan 07, 2026

Calgary woman charged after traffic pylon thrown from downtown balcony

Calgary police have charged a woman after a video circulated on social media showing a traffic pylon being tossed from a highrise balcony in the city’s downtown. Investigators said they began looking into the incident after receiving complaints about the video on Monday afternoon. The footage was determined to have been recorded the previous Saturday at an apartment building on the 1100 block of Third Street Southeast. The pylon was reportedly dropped from the 14th floor. Officers located a nearly six-kilogram traffic pylon on the sidewalk outside the building. Police said their investigatio
AlbertaJan 07, 2026

Calgary council to review independent report on Bearspaw watermain failures

Calgary city councillors are set to receive and discuss a long-awaited independent report examining repeated failures of a major watermain that supplies drinking water to much of the city. The report focuses on the Bearspaw South Feeder Main, a critical piece of infrastructure that delivers treated water to roughly 60 per cent of Calgary residents. The line first ruptured in the summer of 2024, triggering weeks of mandatory water restrictions across the city. Concerns intensified again late last month when the same watermain ruptured for a second time on Dec. 30, forcing the city to reintroduc
AlbertaJan 02, 2026

Calgary officials call for immediate water conservation after second major feeder main break

City officials in Calgary are asking residents to sharply reduce their daily water use after a key water feeder main ruptured late last month, placing pressure on the city’s drinking water system. Mayor Jeromy Farkas said the Bearspaw South Feeder Main remains in a critical state following the Dec. 30 break, leaving Calgary using more water than it can currently produce and store. The situation has prompted renewed calls for voluntary conservation across the city of roughly 1.6 million people. According to Chris Huston, the city’s manager of drinking water distribution, Calgary needs to ke
AlbertaDec 31, 2025

Water main break in northwest Calgary strands drivers, prompts new water restrictions

Calgary residents are facing renewed water restrictions after a major water main break overnight flooded a busy northwest interchange, trapping vehicles and forcing emergency rescues. The rupture occurred near the intersection of 16th Avenue NW and Sarcee Trail, close to Canada Olympic Park, an area that serves as a key commuter route. Fire crews were called in to rescue 13 people from vehicles surrounded by freezing water as the break sent water rushing across the roadway. Police closed the interchange, and city officials say the road will remain shut while crews assess damage and begin repai
rcmp-union-challenges-alberta-panel-report-advocating-mountie-replacement
AlbertaDec 30, 2025

RCMP union challenges Alberta panel report advocating Mountie replacement

The head of the national RCMP union is criticizing a provincial panel report that recommends Alberta continue efforts to replace the Mounties with a provincial police force. Brian Sauve, president of the National Police Federation, described the Alberta Next panel’s report as “misleading,” saying it relies on outdated references and misinterpreted federal policies to support its conclusions. He added the panel appears to be reviving a proposal that Albertans have already rejected in past consultations. The Alberta Next Panel, established and chaired by Premier Danielle Smith, was tasked
smith-says-alberta-health-overhaul-groundwork-finished-results-to-be-tested-in-2026
AlbertaDec 30, 2025

Smith says Alberta health overhaul groundwork finished, results to be tested in 2026

Premier Danielle Smith says 2025 marked a turning point for Alberta’s sweeping health-care overhaul, with the legal framework for the province’s new system now firmly in place. She says the coming year will be focused on showing Albertans whether the changes deliver measurable improvements. Smith said her government believes the restructuring will lead to better patient outcomes after years of strain on the health system. Alberta is in the process of replacing Alberta Health Services as a single province-wide provider with four separate organizations responsible for acute care, primary car
man-charged-with-second-degree-murder-after-couple-killed-on-rural-northern-alberta-road
AlbertaDec 29, 2025

Man charged with second-degree murder after couple killed on rural northern Alberta road

RCMP in northern Alberta have charged a 42-year-old man with two counts of second-degree murder following a fatal shooting that claimed the lives of a married couple on a rural road near Grande Prairie. Police say officers were called early Saturday to reports of an active shooting near the intersection of Range Road 35 and Township Road 730, north of Grande Prairie. When officers arrived, they found David Lagace, 54, and his wife Michelle Lagace, 44, dead beside their vehicle. Investigators identified Curtis Phillip Halladay as the suspect later that day. RCMP say Halladay was known to the co

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees