13.73°C Vancouver

News

b-c-raising-fines-for-promoting-attending-events-that-break-covid-19-rules
BCMar 26, 2021

B.C. raising fines for promoting, attending events that break COVID-19 rules

The B.C. government is more than doubling the fines for those promoting and attending events against COVID-19 health rules in an effort to crack down on "selfish behaviour." The fine has increased to $575 from $230, although the penalty for those caught hosting such an event remains at $2,300. Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says it's become clear in the last few months that the risk of paying the ticket isn't enough of a deterrence. The $230 fine will continue to apply to a range of other COVID-19 violations, such as not wearing a mask. The ministry says in a news release that the incre
b-c-reports-highest-increase-in-covid-19-cases-since-early-december
BCMar 26, 2021

B.C. reports highest increase in COVID-19 cases since early December

Elders in British Columbia care homes will soon be able to socialize and receive visits from loved ones after being locked down by COVID-19 for more than a year. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says the benefits of lifting some of the restrictions outweigh the risks to the elderly, who have had little interaction with family or friends since the pandemic began. Starting April 1st, residents in long-term care and assisted-living facilities will be able to have frequent and routine visits. The rule changes include allowing two visitors, plus a child, at one time -- and they're allowe
unmasked-man-arrested-for-assault-at-metropolis-at-metrotown
BCMar 25, 2021

Unmasked man arrested for assault at Metropolis at Metrotown

Burnaby RCMP are investigating an altercation at the Metrotown Mall in which a West Vancouver man allegedly spat on someone after being asked to wear a mask. Police say the incident happened outside the mall's McDonald's restaurant around 11 am on Monday when a bystander asked the man to wear a mask, and he refused. The man has been issued a $230 fine and police are investigating the allegations as a possible assault. Mounties say people should call police instead of trying to enforce COVID-19 guidelines. Burnaby RCMP on Twitter: Unmasked man arrested by #BurnabyFrontline officers for assault
crown-says-burden-is-on-mengs-lawyers-to-prove-device-information-was-wrongly-shared
BCMar 25, 2021

Crown says burden is on Meng's lawyers to prove device information was wrongly shared

A lawyer for Canada's attorney general says there's no evidence that the RCMP shared serial numbers with U.S. investigators for the devices of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou. John Gibb-Carsley told the B.C. Supreme Court that the burden of proof is on Meng's legal team to show the numbers were shared, but they can't do it. The court has seen email evidence that the Federal Bureau of Investigation asked for the serial numbers and RCMP collected them, but the email chain goes cold before confirming if they were sent or not. Meng's legal team is arguing that proceedings in her extradition case sh
BCMar 25, 2021

33 tickets issued and 59 vehicles ispected during a safety campaign: Delta police

Delta police say a fully loaded dump truck was pulled off the road earlier this month after officers discovered its brakes were completely inoperable during an enforcement blitz. Police says officers inspected 59 vehicles during a safety campaign on March 16, handing out 33 tickets, while drivers of 31 vehicles were given orders or had their vehicle placed out of service immediately. Officers also pulled over a commercial cargo van where the tread on two of its tires was gone and the wear was into the inner structure of the tires. Thirty inspections of taxis and ride-sharing vehicles were als
federal-government-faces-costly-path-to-recoup-wrongly-paid-aid-auditor-says
CanadaMar 25, 2021

Federal government faces costly path to recoup wrongly paid aid, auditor says

The federal auditor general is giving the Trudeau government a sort of back-handed compliment on how it handled the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. Karen Hogan says the government moved as fast as it could to respond to the pandemic, but on the other hand it wasn't prepared for one in the first place. Hogan's report on the government's response found the Public Health Agency of Canada spent years letting elements of pandemic preparedness slide. She found the government's financial support programs rolled out well, but now extensive efforts will be needed to ensure the money went where it was
surrey-woman-is-responsible-for-more-than-250-000-dollars-in-fraud-police
BCMar 25, 2021

Surrey woman is responsible for more than 250,000 dollars in fraud: Police

RCMP in Alberta say a BC woman is responsible for more than 250,000 dollars in fraud connected to a scheme involving fake travel vouchers. Airdrie RCMP say they have arrested and charged 40 year old Alexandra Beckow.Beckow is from Surrey and has been arrested following an 18 month long fraud investigation. Officials say the victims reported they had purchased travel vouchers from Beckow or had fraudulent charges on their credit cards. Police say they have identified 47 victims from Alberta, BC and Ontario who were allegedly defrauded of more than 250,000 dollars.
three-cases-of-blood-clotting-reported-among-300-000-canadians-who-received-a-oxford-astrazeneca-shot-dr-supriya-sharma
CanadaMar 25, 2021

Three cases of blood clotting reported among 300,000 Canadians who received a Oxford-AstraZeneca shot: Dr. Supriya Sharma

Health Canada's chief medical adviser says the three cases of blood clotting reported out of 300,000 Canadians who have received a Oxford-AstraZeneca shot have no apparent link to the vaccine. Dr. Supriya Sharma says none of the cases resemble the very rare brain blood clot seen in a small number of patients in Europe. She notes that blood clotting rates are the same or even higher among people who have not received the AstraZeneca vaccine than for those who have been jabbed. Warning of blood clotting on product label for the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine Health Canada has updated the product l
man-and-teen-charged-after-body-of-a-woman-found-burned-in-burnaby-park
BCMar 25, 2021

Man and teen charged after body of a woman found burned in Burnaby park

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says a woman whose burned body was found in a Burnaby park was a recent immigrant from the Philippines and mother with a loving family.Ma Cecilia Loreto was 49 years old and two people, aged 21 and 15, have been charged with first-degree murder and indignity to human remains after her death.Corporal Frank Jang says it is ``incredible'' that Carlo Tobias and the youth are facing the most serious murder charges in the book, but he cannot say much about the case as it's before the courts.He did say that the three knew each other, the alleged killing was

Just In

CanadaMay 21, 2026

Ontario investigating suspected Ebola case linked to East Africa travel

Ontario health officials say a patient who recently returned from East Africa has been hospitalized and tested for Ebola as a precautionary measure. A spokesperson for the Ontario Ministry of Health said the testing is being conducted under established medical protocols and “out of an abundance of caution.” Officials said there are currently no confirmed Ebola cases in the province. Public health authorities said infection-control measures have been implemented to reduce any potential risk of transmission. Officials also emphasized that Ebola does not spread easily through the air and said
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Toronto Pearson airport baggage tag scam linked to international drug smuggling investigation

A suspected international drug smuggling network operating through Toronto Pearson International Airport has been uncovered following the arrest of six baggage and ramp employees over the past year, according to reports citing an RCMP investigation. Authorities allege the scheme involved switching baggage tags on passengers’ luggage and replacing them with suitcases containing illegal drugs destined for international locations. The operation allegedly led to several innocent Canadian travellers being detained abroad on drug trafficking allegations. Reports indicate at least 17 passengers wer
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Edmonton police seize $8M worth of cocaine in multi-province drug investigation

Edmonton police say a nearly two-year joint investigation involving police agencies in Ontario and Winnipeg has led to the seizure of $37.2 million worth of illegal drugs across Canada and the arrest of 33 people. According to the Edmonton Police Service, officers executed a search warrant on April 16 in the area of 109 Street and Jasper Avenue, where investigators seized approximately 80 kilograms of cocaine, 176 grams of methamphetamine, 50 pounds of buffing agent, a firearm, ammunition and about $30,000 in cash. Police estimated the street value of the cocaine at roughly $8 million. A 21-ye
carney-says-new-oil-pipeline-would-require-emissions-plan-indigenous-consultation
BCMay 20, 2026

Carney says new oil pipeline would require emissions plan, Indigenous consultation

Prime Minister Mark Carney says any future oil pipeline connecting Alberta to the British Columbia coast would depend on conditions including a major emissions-reduction project, economic benefits for B.C., and constitutionally required consultation with First Nations. Speaking to the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Carney said the pipeline proposal discussed last week between the federal and Alberta governments would only move forward alongside the proposed Pathways Alliance carbon capture project. He said Indigenous consultation under Section 35 of the Constitution is “non-negotiable.”
AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Alberta ticket wins $12.5M share of Lotto Max jackpot

A Lotto Max ticket purchased in Alberta has won a $12.5-million share of the latest jackpot draw, according to the Western Canada Lottery Corporation. The corporation said the winning ticket was sold somewhere in Alberta outside the Edmonton and Calgary regions. Another winning ticket was sold in Quebec, splitting the $25-million jackpot between the two winners. Lottery officials said the Alberta ticket holder has one year from the draw date to claim the prize. The winning location and ticket holder have not yet been identified publicly. The jackpot split means multiple winners matched all sev