15.61°C Vancouver

News

amit-shah-holds-rally-in-nandigram
IndiaMar 30, 2021

Amit Shah holds rally in Nandigram

Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Tuesday held a roadshow in West Bengal's Nandigram ahead of the second phase of polling in the state on April 1.A huge number of party workers and supporters have gathered, hurling garlands and waving party flags.Nandigram seat is experiencing a high-octane battle between turncoat Suvendu Adhikari and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, which falls in the second phase of the state assembly elections to be held on April 1.In phase-II, 30 seats will go to the polls to decide the fate of 171 candidates including 19 women.The first phase of the West Bengal
bjp-mla-attack-case-farmers-end-protest-in-malout-after-punjab-police-assures-evidence-based-probe
IndiaMar 30, 2021

BJP MLA attack case: Farmers end protest in Malout after Punjab police assures evidence-based probe

A farmers protest -- going on against the registeration of an FIR against some farmers who had attacked BJP MLA Arun Narang in Malout -- concluded on Monday after the police assured them of a proper probe.A Punjab Police official said, "No innocent person will be punished and evidence-based investigation will be done."Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MLA Arun Narang was surrounded and restrained on March 27 by agitators in the Malout area of Punjab's Muktsar district.As per a police statement, Superintendent of Punjab Police Gurmail Singh also suffered injuries while attempting to rescue Narang fr
b-c-temporarily-suspends-use-of-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-for-those-under-age-55-2-518-new-covid-19-cases-reported
BCMar 30, 2021

B.C. temporarily suspends use of Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine for those under age 55; 2,518 new COVID-19 cases reported

BC is temporarily suspending use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine for those under age 55 for the next few days. The national advisory committee on immunization issued that recommendation today over concerns the vaccine may be linked to rare blood clots. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry calls the condition very rare and says it's unlikely any cases will be seen in Canada. She says she anticipates more information in the next two to three days. The province says there were 2,518new cases, pushing the total in the province past 98,000. Six more people have died, raising that total to
ajay-devgn-reacts-on-viral-delhi-brawl-video-calls-it-baseless
IndiaMar 30, 2021

Ajay Devgn reacts on viral 'Delhi brawl' video, calls it 'baseless'

Bollywood actor Ajay Devgn on Monday has shut down the claims of a viral Delhi brawl video, where a man fighting outside a pub, has been mistaken for him over social media. Shutting down all the rumours, Ajay Devgn took to his official Twitter account and wrote, "Some 'doppelganger' of mine seems to have got into trouble." "I've been getting concerned calls. Just clarifying, I've not traveled anywhere. All reports regarding me being in any brawl are baseless." He further wished his fans, a Happy Holi." The viral video sees two men fighting outside a pub, using obscene language. One of the men,
dr-henry-introduces-restrictions-including-banning-indoor-dining-at-bars-and-restaurants-describes-the-move-as-a-circuit-breaker
BCMar 30, 2021

Dr. Henry introduces restrictions including banning indoor dining at bars and restaurants, describes the move as a "circuit breaker"

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry is banning indoor dining at bars and restaurants and indoor activity at fitness centres for three weeks starting at midnight. Dr. Henry describes the move as a "circuit breaker" amid concerns that more infectious variants are driving "exponential growth" of COVID-19 cases. She says the Whistler Blackcomb ski resort will also be closed until at least April 19th as cases spread in the community. Dr. Henry has also reintroduced restrictions on indoor religious services that she just announced would ease last week. Social activities need to be limited to
naci-announces-change-in-recommendations-for-the-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine
CanadaMar 29, 2021

NACI announces change in recommendations for the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine

Federal immunization experts changed their recommendations for the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine. The National Advisory Committee on Immunization says the vaccine should not be used on people under the age of 55. Health Canada is asking AstraZeneca to do a full analysis of the risks of its vaccine across all age groups and genders, following additional reports of patients in Europe developing blood clots. Dr. Supriya Sharma, the chief medical adviser at Health Canada, says there have been no blood clots reported in Canada to date and still believes the vaccine's benefits outweigh the r
surrey-rcmp-special-victims-unit-seeks-information-in-sexual-assault-investigation
BCMar 29, 2021

Surrey RCMP Special Victims Unit seeks information in sexual assault investigation

The Surrey RCMP Special Victims Unit is looking for information from the public related to an on-going investigation.This investigation began on March 12, 2021, after police received information about a sexual assault that occurred in February 2021. Further investigation put investigators in contact with three additional victims related to incidents that took place between June 2019 and February 12, 2021.On March 19, 2021, a male suspect was arrested. However, investigators believe there may be further victims in the community who have not yet come forward. Further information is being release
woman-in-serious-condition-after-shooting-inside-guildford-residence
BCMar 29, 2021

Woman in serious condition after shooting inside Guildford residence

The Surrey RCMP General Investigation Unit is currently investigating a shooting that occurredinside of a residence in Guildford. Shortly before 12:00 a.m. on March 29, 2021, Surrey RCMP responded to a call from Emergency HealthServices reporting a shooting in a residence in the 16300-block of 113B Avenue. Frontline officers arrived and located a woman suffering from gunshot wounds. She was transported to the hospital in serious condition. The suspect in this shooting fled the residenceprior to police arrival. The initial indications are that this shooting is between parties known to one anoth
20-year-old-man-identified-as-victim-of-homicide-in-port-alberni
BCMar 29, 2021

20 year old man identified as victim of homicide in Port Alberni

RCMP on Vancouver Island have identified the victim in what they now say is a homicide investigation. They say the 20 year old man from the Port Alberni and Ahousat areas was found on the street Saturday morning with stab wounds to his chest and died from the injuries. The investigation is ongoing and police say they believe the suspect and victim knew each other, and there is no ongoing risk to the public. They're asking anyone who was around the 35-hundred block of 4th Avenue in Port Alberni early Saturday morning to call them. BC RCMP on on 27th March tweeted: #PortAlberni - RCMP investiga

Just In

illegal-gambling-investigation-in-metro-vancouver-leads-to-11-arrests
BCMay 08, 2026

Illegal gambling investigation in Metro Vancouver leads to 11 arrests

Police in British Columbia say 11 people have been arrested following an investigation into an alleged illegal gambling operation in Metro Vancouver. According to investigators, the probe began in November 2025 after police received information about a suspected gaming house operating in Maple Ridge. Officers executed search warrants on April 29 at locations in Maple Ridge, Coquitlam and Surrey. Police said investigators seized gambling equipment, more than $34,000 in cash, and a shotgun fitted with a suppressor during the searches. Authorities have not released details about the identities of
lethbridge-man-charged-with-breaching-release-conditions-tied-to-child-sexual-abuse-case
AlbertaMay 08, 2026

Lethbridge man charged with breaching release conditions tied to child sexual abuse case

Lethbridge Police say a 36-year-old man has been charged after officers allegedly found him in contact with a youth while bound by court-ordered release conditions connected to previous child sexual abuse charges. According to a Lethbridge Police Service release, officers responded May 6 to a report of a vulnerable 15-year-old girl getting into a vehicle with an adult male in the parking lot of a northside swimming pool. Police conducted a traffic stop and identified the driver as a man prohibited from having contact with anyone under 16 years old. Police said the accused was also subject to c
smith-presses-carney-on-pipeline-agreement-and-project-approvals
CanadaMay 08, 2026

Smith presses Carney on pipeline agreement and project approvals

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith met with Prime Minister Mark Carney in Ottawa on Thursday to discuss federal–provincial energy cooperation and major infrastructure project approvals. Smith said Albertans and industry investors are growing frustrated with delays tied to large-scale projects. She called for an oil pipeline and energy cooperation memorandum of understanding to be finalized within days. According to Smith, some conditions tied to the agreement between the federal and Alberta governments were supposed to be completed by April 1, a deadline that has already passed. She also argued
CanadaMay 08, 2026

Manitoba declares public health emergency over rising HIV cases

The Manitoba government has declared a public health emergency following a sharp rise in HIV cases across the province, marking the first time Manitoba has issued such an emergency declaration related to HIV. According to Manitoba chief provincial public health officer Dr. Brent Roussin, the number of reported HIV cases increased from 90 in 2019 to 328 in 2025. Preliminary data for the first quarter of 2026 shows approximately 120 cases, a level health officials describe as concerning. Final figures for 2026 have not yet been released. Provincial health officials said Manitoba’s HIV rate has
canada-post-begins-notifying-residents-of-end-to-door-to-door-mail-delivery
CanadaMay 08, 2026

Canada Post begins notifying residents of end to door-to-door mail delivery

Canada Post has begun sending letters to residents whose homes are expected to lose door-to-door mail delivery as part of a nationwide transition to community mailboxes. In notices sent to customers, the Crown corporation said mail and parcel delivery to residents’ doors will continue for now, but service is expected to shift to community mailboxes by late 2026 or early 2027. According to Canada Post, the change is being introduced as part of efforts to modernize operations and improve the long-term financial sustainability of the postal system. The plan would affect approximately four milli