15.29°C Vancouver

News

further-investigation-by-tsb-after-two-die-in-february-tug-sinking-off-northern-b-c
BCMar 16, 2021

Further investigation by TSB after two die in February tug sinking off northern B.C.

The Transportation Safety Board will conduct a broader investigation into the deadly sinking of a tugboat last month along British Columbia's north coast. Two men died and one survived when the Ingenika sank Feb. 11 south of Kitimat while towing a barge, which remained afloat. A data collection investigation has been completed by the board but a spokesman confirms a wider investigation is now planned looking for any contributing factors or safety deficiencies. Chris Krepski says an investigation page will soon be posted on the board's website and a report will be released when the probe wraps
BCMar 16, 2021

BC's police watchdog investigating police actions after man injured in Kamloops

BC's police watchdog is investigating to determine whether police actions are linked to the injury of a man in Kamloops on Friday night. RCMP say in a statement that an officer was on a routine patrol when he saw a fight in progress and placed one man under arrest for assault. They say, "an interaction occurred" before the man was taken into custody and he complained of injury en route to the RCMP detachment. The Mounties say emergency services brought the man to a local hospital, where it was determined he was suffering from serious injury. Police released no further information as the provi
naci-says-astrazeneca-vaccine-now-recommended-for-use-on-seniors
CanadaMar 16, 2021

NACI says AstraZeneca vaccine now recommended for use on seniors

The National Advisory Committee on Immunization says there is now enough ``real-world evidence'' to show the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine is both safe and effective for seniors.The decision reverses a recommendation made by the body on March 1, when the panel of vaccine experts said AstraZeneca hadn't included enough people over the age of 65 in its clinical trials.NACI chair Dr. Caroline Quach said Tuesday that two studies of patients who received the vaccine in the United Kingdom have been released since then and show the AstraZeneca vaccine is both safe and effective for seniors, par
delhi-reports-425-fresh-covid-19-cases-one-death-in-last-24-hours
IndiaMar 16, 2021

Delhi reports 425 fresh COVID-19 cases, one death in last 24 hours

Delhi reported 425 new COVID-19 cases and one related death in the last 24 hours, taking the total number of cases to 6,44,489 in the national capital, informed the Delhi health department on Tuesday.According to the health bulletin, as many as 257 people recovered in the national capital from the disease in the said period. With this, the total number of recoveries in Delhi goes to 6,31,056 so far. However, the active number of COVID-19 cases in the Union Territory stands at 2,488.The cumulative death toll in the national capital has now reached 10,945.The cumulative positivity rate of COVID-
delhi-police-would-give-seven-days-prior-notice-to-accused-if-they-intend-to-arrest-them-says-delhi-court
IndiaMar 16, 2021

Delhi Police would give seven days prior notice to accused, if they intend to arrest them, says Delhi Court

A Delhi Court while disposing of the anticipatory bail applications moved by Nikita Jacob, Shantanu Muluk and Shubham Kar Chaudhari said that the investigating agency/Delhi police would give seven days prior notice to the accused, in case they intend to arrest them in the 'Toolkit' document case related to the farmers' protest.Additional Sessions Judge Dharmender Rana observed that when arrest becomes unavoidable, advance notice of seven working days shall be given to them to avail remedies.During the course of the hearing, Additional Public Prosecutor (APP) Atul Srivastav appearing for the De
more-than-17-million-doses-of-oxford-astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine-administered-and-concerns-about-blood-clots-related-to-37-cases-dr-bonnie-henry
BCMar 16, 2021

More than 17 million doses of Oxford-AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine administered and concerns about blood clots related to 37 cases: Dr. Bonnie Henry

BC is reporting 1,506 new cases of COVID-19 over the past three days. And provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says 10 more people have died, bringing the death toll in BC to 1,407. Dr. Henry used her COVID update today to urge people to get vaccinated as soon as possible with whatever vaccine they are offered. She says concerns about blood clots that have led some countries to suspend use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine appear to be related to 37 cases. She says blood clots can occur naturally and that's out of more than 17 million doses administered so far. BC's initial shipment of
man-expected-to-survive-after-police-involved-shooting-in-victoria-early-monday
BCMar 16, 2021

Man expected to survive after police-involved shooting in Victoria early Monday

Police are releasing few details about an officer-involved shooting in Victoria on Monday. A statement from Victoria police says a man armed with a weapon was shot by officers during an altercation at Royal Jubilee Hospital shortly before 5:30 a.m. Police say the victim is believed to have non-life-threatening injuries and no officers were hurt. The statement from Const. Cam MacIntyre says police were in the area on an unrelated call when they were alerted to a man at the hospital, allegedly carrying a weapon. MacIntyre says police used a less-lethal stun gun when they encountered the man but
39-year-old-man-facing-several-charges-after-allegedly-attacking-a-man-with-a-firearm-in-nanaimo
BCMar 16, 2021

39 year old man facing several charges after allegedly attacking a man with a firearm in Nanaimo

RCMP say a 39 year old man is facing several charges after he allegedly struck another man repeatedly with a firearm in a Nanaimo parking lot. Police say several bystanders were able to disarm the suspect following the attack yesterday afternoon and stopped him from fleeing on his motorbike. They say the 50 year old victim was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries. He was struck with a firearm and other items. The male suspect was arrested for assault with a weapon, uttering threats and a number of firearm-related charges.
girl-dead-man-in-custody-after-stabbing-in-edmonton-area-school
CanadaMar 15, 2021

Girl dead, man in custody after stabbing in Edmonton-area school

A 17 year old girl is dead after a violent assault at a school just south of Edmonton. RCMP say it happened at about 10 a.m. at Christ the King School in Leduc, which has about 350 students in grades 9 to 12. Mounties say the girl was airlifted to hospital, where she died of her injuries, and her death is being investigated as a homicide. Police say a 19 year old man was taken into custody outside of the school. Bob Young, the mayor of Leduc, says the girl was a student at the school and was stabbed. He says all schools in the area were locked down until officers made the arrest.

Just In

punjab-cm-bhagwant-mann-meets-nitin-gadkari-shivraj-singh-chouhan-in-delhi
IndiaMay 13, 2026

Punjab CM Bhagwant Mann meets Nitin Gadkari, Shivraj Singh Chouhan in Delhi

Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann met Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari during a visit to New Delhi on Wednesday. Senior Punjab government officials were also present at the meeting. According to the Punjab government, discussions focused on National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) projects in Punjab, including several works that have been delayed. Mann said the two sides discussed steps to expedite and complete the pending projects. Later, the chief minister also met Union Agriculture Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan. Mann said the meeting included detailed discu
AlbertaMay 13, 2026

Edmonton court hears evidence of prior dog attack at trial over death of 11-year-old boy

An Edmonton court heard testimony Wednesday about a previous violent dog attack involving two Cane Corsos at the centre of a criminal negligence trial tied to the death of an 11-year-old boy. Shawn Hesse testified that in 2023, his Pomeranian escaped from his property and ran toward the two dogs later involved in the death of Kache Grist. According to Hesse, the Cane Corsos grabbed the smaller dog from opposite sides and attempted to tear it apart. Hesse told the court he rushed the injured Pomeranian to a veterinarian, but the dog later died from its injuries. The Cane Corsos were owned by Cr
poilievre-calls-for-immigration-ministers-removal-over-expiring-visa-concerns
CanadaMay 13, 2026

Poilievre calls for immigration minister’s removal over expiring visa concerns

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is calling for Immigration Minister Lena Diab to be removed from cabinet, accusing the Liberal government of failing to manage Canada’s immigration system as millions of temporary visas approach expiry. Speaking about immigration and labour pressures, Poilievre alleged the federal government does not have a clear plan to track or manage people whose visas are expiring. He claimed there is no effective system in place to determine who has left Canada after their visa expired and who may still be in the country. Poilievre also accused Prime Minister Mark Ca
surrey-man-charged-with-multiple-firearm-offences-after-traffic-stop-in-city-centre
BCMay 13, 2026

Surrey man charged with multiple firearm offences after traffic stop in City Centre

A 24-year-old Surrey man is facing several firearm-related charges following a vehicle stop by Surrey Police Service officers in the City Centre area Sunday evening. According to Surrey Police Service, officers with the Crime Reduction Unit stopped a vehicle near 146 Street and 108 Avenue at about 7:45 p.m. on May 11 for a traffic-related infraction. During the investigation, police allege one of the occupants was found in possession of a firearm. Police said Gurwinder Singh has been charged with seven Criminal Code offences, including possession of a loaded restricted or prohibited firearm, c
cbsa-launches-hundreds-of-immigration-investigations-linked-to-extortion-networks-across-canada
CanadaMay 13, 2026

CBSA launches hundreds of immigration investigations linked to extortion networks across Canada

The Canada Border Services Agency says it has launched hundreds of immigration investigations tied to alleged extortion networks operating across Canada, with dozens of foreign nationals already deported as part of the enforcement effort. According to information shared during a public safety roundtable in British Columbia, the agency had opened 446 immigration investigations nationwide as of May 7 involving foreign nationals suspected of participating in or being connected to extortion-related activities. The CBSA said 118 removal orders have been issued following those investigations, while