23.34°C Vancouver

News

hamas-is-a-threat-to-the-world-it-must-be-eliminated-bill-blair
CanadaOct 24, 2023

Hamas is a threat to the world, it must be eliminated: Bill Blair

Defence Minister Bill Blair says Hamas is a terrorist organization that is a threat to the whole world and must be "eliminated." Blair also says he has no expectation that Hamas would respect international law, including any agreement on a ceasefire. His comments are the furthest any Canadian minister has gone in explaining why Canada does not support calls for a ceasefire. The defence minister also appeared unwilling to back more recent calls for a "humanitarian pause," but says there are talks underway to get more aid into the Gaza Strip. More than one million Palestinians have been displace
canadian-in-gaza-shares-details-about-israel-hamas-war-situation-gets-more-dangerous
CanadaOct 23, 2023

Canadian in Gaza shares details about Israel-Hamas war, situation gets more dangerous

A Canadian man in Gaza says Israeli airstrikes that were previously heard roughly every hour can now be heard every few minutes as the Israel-Hamas war escalates.Mansour Shouman says Israel's bombardment of Gaza has grown relentless recently, and even locations where civilians were previously advised to take refuge are not safe.The sounds of explosions can be heard in the background as Shouman says he narrowly escaped an airstrike near the southern Gaza hospital complex where he has been taking shelter.He also says that small shipments of aid that were twice allowed into Gaza over the weekend
israel-approves-delivery-of-humanitarian-aid-to-gaza
WorldOct 18, 2023

Israel approves delivery of humanitarian aid to Gaza

Israel has approved the delivery of some humanitarian aid from Egypt to Gaza. This decision has been taken by Israel at the request of US President Joe Biden. According to the statement issued by the PM of Israel, food, water and medicines can be sent but oil will not be sent. Along with this, all the goods will be sent only until these supplies reach Hamas. Notably, Biden has given full support to Israel, stressing the need to end a massive humanitarian crisis in Gaza. On October 7, Hamas attacked Israel, after which Israel also started retaliatory bombing. Yesterday, Israel attacked a hospit
hundreds-of-people-killed-in-israeli-airstrike-on-gaza-city-hospital-ministry-of-health
WorldOct 17, 2023

Hundreds of people killed in Israeli airstrike on Gaza City Hospital: Ministry of Health

Gaza's health ministry says hundreds of people have been killed in an Israeli airstrike on a Gaza City hospital.Many hospitals in Gaza City have become refugees for hundreds of people and there is a fear that 500 people will be killed in this attack.Photographs of the hospital have also surfaced showing hospital halls, broken glass and a fire in the hospital.Israeli army spokesman Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari said there were no details yet on the deaths at the hospital, adding that the public would be updated once details were available.It is worth mentioning that Hamas attacked Israel on October 7
sixth-canadian-killed-in-israel-hamas-war-two-missing-foreign-minister
CanadaOct 17, 2023

Sixth Canadian killed in Israel-Hamas war, two missing: Foreign Minister

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says an Israeli with ties to Canada who had been missing is now confirmed dead, amid the continued fallout from Hamas's recent surprise attacks on Israel.Joly is offering condolences to the family of Tiferet Lapidot, who she said was one of three Canadians reported missing after Hamas attacked southern Israel on Oct. 7, killing more than 1,400 people and setting off a war that has left more than 4,000 dead on both sides.The minister says that during her recent trip to Israel, she met with Lapidot's Canadian father in Tel Aviv, as well as Lapidot's uncle,
israel-hamas-war-canadian-youth-dies-while-saving-fiancée
CanadaOct 16, 2023

Israel-Hamas war: Canadian youth dies while saving fiancée

The fifth Canadian killed in the Israel-Hamas war has been identified as a 21-year-old man.The name of the young man who died in this attack is Netta Epstein.Speaking to reporters on a TV channel, Netta Epstein's mother said that Epstein died after jumping on a grenade to save his fiancée.Five Canadians have been confirmed dead in the Israel-Hamas war so far and three more are reported missing.Among the dead are two girls and three boys.As of Sunday, an estimated 1,000 Canadians and their families had been flown from Israel to Athens through a Canadian Armed Forces military operation.
a-group-of-canadians-reached-jordan-by-crossing-the-border-by-bus-foreign-minister
CanadaOct 16, 2023

A group of Canadians reached Jordan by crossing the border by bus: Foreign Minister

Canada's Minister of Foreign Affairs Melanie Joly has posted information on X that a group of Canadians have crossed the border by bus from the West Bank and entered Jordan safely.Jolie thanked the teams in Ramallah, Amman, Tel-Aviv and Ottawa, saying it was possible with the support of teams working 24 hours a day.According to the information received, a group of 30 people left by bus.This group mainly includes Canadians and citizens of Australia and New Zealand.There were 21 Canadians on the bus.Global Affairs Canada said it is using two buses to evacuate Canadians from the West Bank.About 2
israel-hamas-war-6-year-old-palestinian-child-killed-in-hate-crime-in-illinois
WorldOct 16, 2023

Israel-Hamas war: 6-year-old Palestinian child killed in hate crime in Illinois

Authorities say a 71-year-old Illinois man has been charged with a hate crime, accused of fatally stabbing a young boy and seriously wounded a woman because of their Islamic faith and the Israel-Hamas war.The Will County Sheriff's Office says in a statement that the man was in custody Sunday and is charged with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, hate crimes and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.Authorities say they found the woman and the 6-year-old child repeatedly stabbed Saturday morning at a home southwest of Chicago.The sheriff's office says the woman was hospitaliz
fifth-canadian-killed-in-israel-hamas-war-global-affairs-canada
CanadaOct 16, 2023

Fifth Canadian killed in Israel-Hamas war: Global Affairs Canada

Global Affairs Canada has confirmed the death of a fifth Canadian in Israel after a series of attacks by Hamas militants, while Canadians in the besieged Gaza Strip still have no way to get out.Three other Canadians who were in Israel when the attacks happened Oct. 7 are still missing, officials said Sunday.Global Affairs did not provide details of the fifth person who died or those who are missing, citing privacy reasons.More than 6,800 Canadians are registered in Israel, and more than 450 in the West Bank and Gaza.Canada is currently assisting about 3,300 permanent residents, Canadians and t

Just In

AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Calgary-Shaw by-election set for Sept. 14 following vacant seat

Elections Alberta has confirmed that a by-election in the Calgary-Shaw provincial constituency will be held Sept. 14. The official writ for the election has now been issued. The seat has been vacant since May, when former Environment and Protected Areas Minister Rebecca Schulz resigned following a recall petition launched against her. The United Conservative Party has nominated Mike Dery to contest the riding, while the NDP has nominated Kyle Campbell. NDP Leader Naheed Nenshi said electing Campbell would send a message to Premier Danielle Smith about her government's approach to separatists.
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Petition to Remove U.S. Ambassador Pete Hoekstra Surpasses 225,000 Signatures

A petition calling for the removal of U.S. Ambassador to Canada Pete Hoekstra has surpassed 225,000 signatures, reflecting growing opposition to his comments and actions in Canada. The petition, launched by Calgary woman Lee Walker, alleges that Hoekstra’s statements have undermined Canada’s sovereignty. It calls for him to be declared persona non grata under the rules of the United Nations’ Vienna Convention and expelled from Canada. However, experts say Hoekstra’s actions have not reached the threshold that would normally justify such a diplomatic step. Green Party Leader Elizabeth M
canadian-exports-face-50-per-cent-tariff-threat-as-carney-speaks-with-trump
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Canadian exports face 50 per cent tariff threat as Carney speaks with Trump

Prime Minister Mark Carney spoke by phone with U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday evening as Canada faces the prospect of 50 per cent tariffs on some exports. Neither government has released details of the discussion. The tariff deadline is now less than 24 hours away. The federal government has indicated that Ottawa could respond with countermeasures if the U.S. tariffs take effect, raising the possibility of further escalation in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute. The new U.S. tariffs are expected to affect more than $20 billion worth of Canadian exports. Reports citing sources familiar with
BCAug 17, 2026

B.C. Conservatives Slam Eby Cabinet Shuffle

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad and Surrey-Cloverdale MLA Eleanor Sturko have sharply criticized Premier David Eby’s latest cabinet shuffle. Rustad described the new appointments - including Josie Osborne as finance minister and Ravi Kahlon as health minister - as little more than a “musical chairs” exercise. He argued that replacing ministers will not address the province’s growing tax burden and large deficits, saying the Eby government has no concrete plan to bring spending and finances under control. Sturko, meanwhile, accused the NDP government of failing to address hom
shots-fired-at-abbotsford-home-while-family-was-sleeping
BCAug 17, 2026

Shots Fired at Abbotsford Home While Family Was Sleeping

A shooting at a home in Abbotsford is under investigation after several bullets were fired at the residence early Sunday morning. Police say they were called around 1 a.m. on August 16 to a home in the 2100 block of Enderby Street, near McMillan Road, after receiving reports of gunfire. When officers arrived, they found that the home had been struck by multiple bullets. Family members were inside the residence and asleep at the time of the shooting. Fortunately, no one was injured. The Abbotsford Police Major Crime Unit has taken over the investigation. Based on the initial findings, police do