16.72°C Vancouver

News

WorldFeb 04, 2026

Deadly strikes resume across Gaza after Rafah crossing reopens, hospitals say about 20 killed

Deadly Israeli strikes hit northern and southern parts of Gaza again after Israel reopened the Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt, with local hospitals reporting that about 20 Palestinians were killed. Medical officials said casualties were brought to several facilities as attacks continued in multiple areas. The Israeli military said the strikes targeted what it described as militant positions. According to Israeli officials, the attacks were carried out in response to gunfire directed at Israeli troops operating in northern Gaza, an incident that left one Israeli officer seriously
WorldFeb 03, 2026

Iran signals conditional openness to talks with U.S. amid diplomatic uncertainty

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian says he has directed the country’s foreign minister to explore negotiations with the United States, provided talks take place under what he described as fair and respectful conditions. In a message posted Tuesday on social media platform X, Pezeshkian said discussions would only proceed if the diplomatic environment is free of threats or what he called unreasonable demands. He said any engagement must be guided by national dignity, prudence, and Iran’s broader interests. The remarks mark the clearest public indication so far that Iran’s new reformist a
trump-to-meet-colombian-president-petro-at-white-house-amid-drug-trafficking-concerns
WorldFeb 03, 2026

Trump to Meet Colombian President Petro at White House Amid Drug Trafficking Concerns

U.S. President Donald Trump is scheduled to meet Colombian President Gustavo Petro at the White House on Tuesday. The meeting comes weeks after Trump threatened military action against Colombia over issues related to drug trafficking. On Monday, Trump indicated that Petro appears willing to cooperate with U.S. authorities to curb illegal drug shipments originating from Colombia. Officials say the discussions during the visit are expected to focus on regional security collaboration and efforts to accelerate anti-drug initiatives. Petro and Trump have also voiced ongoing criticism of Venezuelan
trump-signals-tariff-cut-for-india-after-pledge-to-halt-russian-oil-imports
WorldFeb 02, 2026

Trump signals tariff cut for India after pledge to halt Russian oil imports

U.S. President Donald Trump says his administration plans to lower tariffs on Indian goods to 18 per cent, down from the current 25 per cent, after India agreed to stop purchasing oil from Russia. The announcement follows months of pressure from Washington urging New Delhi to reduce its reliance on discounted Russian crude amid the ongoing war in Ukraine. India has been one of the world’s largest buyers of Russian oil since Moscow’s February 2022 invasion of Ukraine, taking advantage of lower prices as many Western countries moved to restrict energy trade with Russia. The issue has been a
pakistan-says-145-militants-killed-in-security-crackdown-after-deadly-balochistan-attacks
WorldFeb 02, 2026

Pakistan says 145 militants killed in security crackdown after deadly Balochistan attacks

Pakistan’s security forces say they have killed about 145 militants in a series of counter-operations across the southwestern province of Balochistan, following coordinated attacks that left around 50 people dead. The provincial government says the operations were launched shortly after the assaults, which targeted multiple locations early Saturday. Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti said the army and police responded swiftly after the attacks, which were later claimed by the banned separatist group Balochistan Liberation Army. He stated that those killed in the security operation were
gaza-egypt-rafah-crossing-reopens-on-limited-basis-as-ceasefire-takes-hold
WorldFeb 02, 2026

Gaza–Egypt Rafah crossing reopens on limited basis as ceasefire takes hold

The Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt has reopened for limited movement, according to Egyptian and Israeli security officials, marking an early practical step following the implementation of a ceasefire in the Israel–Hamas conflict. An Egyptian official involved in ceasefire coordination said around 50 Palestinians were expected to cross in each direction on the first day of operations. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the discussions surrounding the ceasefire arrangements remain confidential. Egypt’s state-run media also reported that the crossing had resume
israel-to-reopen-gaza-egypt-border-crossing-after-nearly-two-years-of-closure
WorldJan 30, 2026

Israel to reopen Gaza–Egypt border crossing after nearly two years of closure

Israel says it will reopen Gaza’s Rafah border crossing with Egypt on Sunday, allowing limited movement of people in and out of the territory for the first time in nearly two years. The Israeli military agency COGAT, which oversees civilian coordination with Gaza, said the reopening will permit “limited movement of people only,” with both Israel and Egypt screening those seeking to cross. European Union border assistance personnel will supervise operations at the crossing, Gaza’s primary link to the outside world. The Rafah crossing has been largely closed since May 2024, following ren
trump-nominates-kevin-warsh-as-next-chair-of-u-s-federal-reserve
WorldJan 30, 2026

Trump nominates Kevin Warsh as next chair of U.S. Federal Reserve

U.S. President Donald Trump has nominated Kevin Warsh to serve as the next chair of the Federal Reserve, a move that could signal a shift in the direction of American monetary policy. The nomination comes as the term of current chair Jerome Powell is set to expire in May. Warsh, 55, previously served as a Federal Reserve governor from 2006 to 2011, a period that included the global financial crisis. He is well known in financial and policy circles and is viewed as an experienced figure with deep familiarity with central banking and global markets. President Trump has repeatedly criticized Powe
man-charged-after-liquid-thrown-at-u-s-rep-ilhan-omar-during-minneapolis-event
WorldJan 29, 2026

Man charged after liquid thrown at U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar during Minneapolis event

U.S. federal prosecutors have laid charges against a Minnesota man accused of throwing a liquid on Democratic Congresswoman Ilhan Omar during a public event in Minneapolis earlier this week, an incident authorities are treating as an assault on a sitting lawmaker. Court documents filed by the U.S. Justice Department say Anthony Kazmierczak was arrested following the incident and is charged with forcibly assaulting, opposing, impeding and intimidating a member of Congress while she was performing official duties. According to a sworn affidavit, investigators later determined the substance spray

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to