20.55°C Vancouver

Feb 28, 2022 8:32 PM - Connect News

VPD seeks witnesses, victims to violent attacks

Share On

Vancouver Police are appealing for victims and witnesses, after a 38-year-old man allegedly attacked at least five women and caused thousands of dollars in property damage during a 40-minute crime spree in Vancouver’s Fairview neighbourhood Saturday afternoon.

"Once again, these attacks appear completely unprovoked, and they must have been terrifying for everyone involved," says Constable Tania Visintin. "We believe there are more victims, and likely dozens of witnesses, who have information and cell phone video footage that can help the police investigation."

Vancouver Police began receiving 9-1-1 calls around noon on Saturday, reporting a man, possibly in psychosis, who was smashing glass and destroying property near Vancouver General Hospital, at Oak Street and West Broadway. The suspect allegedly approached a 40-year-old woman in her car, made shooting gestures, banged on the vehicle, and tried to open the car door. When she drove away, the suspect allegedly chased the vehicle down the street.

Thirty minutes later, the suspect allegedly chased joggers near the entrance of an apartment building. The joggers, who have not been identified, managed to seek refuge inside the building, but the suspect allegedly smashed the front door in an attempt to pursue them.

A woman who witnessed that incident was then accosted by the suspect, who allegedly cornered her and demanded her phone.

Moments later, the suspect approached a woman who was walking on Oak Street, and allegedly assaulted her by grabbing her by the hair and punching her. The 25-year-old woman broke free with the help of a bystander and fled to a building with a number of other frightened people, but the suspect allegedly pursed them through the hallways and stairwells of the building while threatening them and brandishing a large piece of broken glass. Police are looking for that bystander to come forward to assist with the investigation.

VPD officers responded from across the city and located the suspect outside a building near Oak Street and West 10th Avenue. He was arrested following a brief struggle and taken to hospital to get treatment for glass cuts, and because officers believed he was in psychosis. The man has since been taken to jail.

"Thankfully, nobody was physically injured during these frightening incidents, however VPD Victim Services staff are working with all of the victims to lend support and deal with the emotional trauma that will likely follow," adds Constable Visintin. "So far investigators have identified five victims, but we believe there are more victims, and dozens of witnesses, who fled in fear before VPD officers arrived."

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News