20.14°C Vancouver

Feb 6, 2020 11:30 PM -

Two more presumptive cases of the coronavirus in BC

Share On
two-more-presumptive-cases-of-the-coronavirus-in-bc
BC provincial health officer Dr. Bonie Henry and health minister Adrian Dix talking to media in Vancouver. January 31, 2020. Connect News/Jawad Siddiqui

Two more presumptive cases of the novel coronavirus have been diagnosed in British Columbia.

Dr. Bonnie Henry, the provincial health officer, says a man and woman, both visitors from China's Hubei province, have been confirmed to have the illness.

Henry says the visitors are linked to a woman who was diagnosed earlier this week in the Vancouver area. She says officials are confident one of the newly diagnosed people is the source of the novel coronavirus in that household.

Henry says that source is a young, healthy man who had a very mild illness and didn't seek medical attention.

B.C. will have four people sickened with the coronavirus if the latest cases are confirmed at a national laboratory in Winnipeg.

Latest news

carney-says-alberta-central-to-canadas-future-after-smith-referendum-announcement
CanadaMay 22, 2026

Carney says Alberta central to Canada’s future after Smith referendum announcement

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Alberta remains a critical part of Canada’s future after Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced plans to include a separation question in a provincial referendum scheduled for Oct. 19. According to statements made Friday on Parliament Hill, the Alberta government plans to ask voters whether the province should remain part of Canada or pursue separation through a legal process. Carney said Canada is functioning as a successful country and described Alberta as essential to the country’s continued economic and political development. He said the federal govern
CanadaMay 22, 2026

China’s foreign minister to visit Canada next week amid improving bilateral ties

China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi is scheduled to visit Canada from May 28 to 30 in what officials describe as a step toward strengthening diplomatic and economic ties between the two countries. The visit will mark the first trip to Canada by a Chinese foreign minister in nearly a decade. Speaking at a press conference in Beijing, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun said relations between China and Canada have recently improved and that both countries are working toward what he described as a “new type of strategic partnership.” According to the Chinese foreign ministry, Beij
alberta-voters-to-weigh-referendum-question-on-provinces-future-in-canada-on-oct-19-says-premier-smith
FeaturedMay 22, 2026

Alberta voters to weigh referendum question on province’s future in Canada on Oct. 19, says Premier Smith

Albertans will take part in a province-wide referendum on Oct. 19 that will ask voters to weigh in on Alberta’s future relationship with Canada, Premier Danielle Smith announced Thursday evening during a televised address. Smith said the provincial government plans to include a new “blended question” on the ballot aimed at reflecting the views of both groups advocating for Alberta to remain within Canada and those supporting greater sovereignty or separation. She said the wording was developed with input from the pro-Canada group Forever Canadian and the separatist group Stay Free Albert
poilievre-says-conservatives-would-campaign-against-alberta-separation-referendum
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Poilievre says Conservatives would campaign against Alberta separation referendum

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he and all Conservative MPs would campaign to keep Alberta in Canada if a referendum on separation is held in the province. Poilievre said the party would take the same position in Quebec if a Parti Québécois government were elected and moved ahead with a sovereignty referendum there. The comments come as Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is expected to deliver a televised address later today. Her United Conservative government is considering whether to include a question related to Alberta’s future within Canada in a series of referendums planned for
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-amid-renewed-separation-referendum-debate
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address amid renewed separation referendum debate

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is scheduled to deliver a televised address Thursday evening amid renewed political debate over a possible referendum on Alberta’s future within Confederation. The address is set to air at 6:45 p.m. on CTV, Global and Rogers television networks and will also be livestreamed on the premier’s social media channels. The appearance follows controversy at a United Conservative Party caucus committee meeting Wednesday, where members debated a motion urging Smith to call an Oct. 19 referendum on Alberta’s place in Canada. The motion, introduced by UCP member Nate

Related News