21.75°C Vancouver

Mar 3, 2022 8:15 PM - Connect News

Two arrested, one handgun seized following traffic stop in Surrey

Share On
two-arrested-one-handgun-seized-following-traffic-stop-in-surrey
Surrey RCMP is advising the public of seizure of a loaded handgun and the arrest of two men, one who was wanted on a Canada wide warrant for human trafficking. (Photo - Surrey RCMP/Twitter)

Surrey RCMP is advising the public of seizure of a loaded handgun and the arrest of two men, one who was wanted on a Canada wide warrant for human trafficking.

On February 25, 2022, at 11:18 pm, the Surrey RCMP Gang Enforcement Team conducted a traffic stop in the area of 13200-block of old Yale Road. The driver and passenger attempted to flee on foot but didn’t make it far before they were arrested.

As the driver attempted to flee, he dropped a loaded handgun as he was running away from police. SGET officers took possession of the suspected firearm. The passenger was arrested a short distance away with assistance from the Metro Vancouver Transit Police.

The alleged driver, 27-year old Loukman Abdullah of Montreal, has been charged with several firearms offences including possession of a loaded prohibited or restricted firearm and willfully obstruct police. Loukman Abdullah has been remanded in custody.

The alleged passenger, 33-year-old Mali Jean of Burnaby, was arrested and further investigation into his identity lead to the discovery that he was wanted on a Canada wide warrant for human trafficking. He has been held in custody until his next appearance in court.

This is just one example of how proactive police work can help disrupt criminal activity, and in this case, take two suspects and a loaded firearm off our streets, says Cst Sarbjit K. Sangha, Media Relations Officer. We know criminal activity is not confined to any city or provincial borders, and greatly appreciate the assistance of our policing partners, including the Metro Vancouver Transit Police, who assisted SGET with these arrests.

Latest news

AlbertaAug 19, 2026

Alberta AI Data Centres Face Public Scrutiny at Lacombe Town Hall

Alberta’s Minister of Technology and Innovation, Nate Glubish, is holding a town hall meeting in Lacombe this evening to hear residents’ views and concerns about artificial intelligence (AI) data centres. Plans to establish large-scale data centres in the area have faced opposition from some local residents and environmental advocates. Critics are particularly concerned about the large amounts of water the facilities could consume, their potential impact on the environment, and the heavy electricity demand that could put additional pressure on Alberta’s power grid and potentially increas
b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint

Related News