21.89°C Vancouver

Oct 9, 2024 5:01 PM - Connect Newsroom – Jasmine Singh, with files from The Associated Press

Time to evacuate is running out as Hurricane Milton closes in on Florida

Share On
time-to-evacuate-is-running-out-as-hurricane-milton-closes-in-on-florida
The serviceposted a photoon the social platform X of the funnel crossing the highway Wednesday morning with the words: “TORNADO crossing I-75 as we speak! Seek shelter NOW! (Photo: The Canadian Press)

A tornado touched down across Interstate 75 in Florida on Wednesday morning as Hurricane Milton barreled toward the state’s west coast, the U.S. National Weather Service reported. The service shared an image on social media showing the funnel cloud crossing the highway and warned residents to “seek shelter now.”

Steady rain and intensifying winds swept across the Tampa Bay area as the massive storm — fluctuating between Category 4 and Category 5 strength — advanced toward landfall. Officials warned that Milton could bring catastrophic winds, flooding and a storm surge of up to 15 feet (4.5 metres) in some areas. The storm’s centre was expected to make landfall late Wednesday or early Thursday.

“This is it, folks,” said Cathie Perkins, emergency management director for Pinellas County. “Those of you who were punched during Hurricane Helene — this is going to be a knockout. You need to get out, and you need to get out now.” More than 5.9 million residents across 11 Florida counties have been ordered to evacuate.

Emergency managers said major bridges around Tampa Bay would close by the afternoon as shelters opened for evacuees. Despite the warnings, some residents vowed to stay, even as first responders cautioned they would not be able to perform rescues during the storm’s peak.

Milton’s approach comes just two weeks after Hurricane Helene devastated parts of western Florida, killing more than 230 people across the southern United States. Communities still clearing debris from that storm are now bracing for another potentially life-threatening disaster.

Meteorologists warned that Milton would maintain hurricane strength as it crosses central Florida and moves toward the Atlantic on Thursday, with rainfall totals of up to 18 inches (46 centimetres) possible in some inland regions.

Latest news

b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic

Related News