24.39°C Vancouver

Jan 14, 2022 11:25 PM - Connect News

Suspect charged after senior stabbed on SkyTrain between Scott road and Gateway stations

Share On
suspect-charged-after-senior-stabbed-on-skytrain-between-scott-road-and-gateway-stations
Charges have been approved following the arrest by Metro Vancouver Transit Police of a suspect in the stabbing of a 67-year-old man on board a SkyTrain. (Photo - Metro Vancouver Transit Police)

Charges have been approved following the arrest by Metro Vancouver Transit Police of a suspect in the stabbing of a 67-year-old man on board a SkyTrain.

As was previously reported by Transit Police, on December 4, 2021, shortly after 1:00 p.m., a man boarded an eastbound SkyTrain at Scott Road Station. As he attempted to sit down, he accidentally bumped into another man who was about to sit in the same seat. The victim ignored the accidental bump and moved to a different part of the train. Moments later, the suspect allegedly approached the victim, got close to his face and demanded an apology. The victim pushed the suspect away into a nearby seat and attempted to hold him down until help could arrive when he felt a sharp pain in his side. The victim looked down and allegedly saw that the suspect had a knife in his hand. As the SkyTrain arrived at Gateway Station, the suspect ran off the train and out of the station. The victim was taken to the hospital with multiple, but non-life-threatening stab wounds.

Following the stabbing, Metro Vancouver Transit Police worked around the clock to identify the suspect involved. Weeks later, while dealing with a man on an unrelated matter, Metro Vancouver Transit Police Crime Suppression Team members recognized this person as a possible suspect from the stabbing. Further investigation led to the arrest of the suspect.

Charged with Aggravated Assault and Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose is Siwakorn Wangcharoensap, a 19-year-old Surrey man who is known to police. Wangcharoensap has been held in custody.

"A person was stabbed; there is no feel-good ending to a file like this. The seriousness of this incident was not lost on our investigators. Our General Investigation Unit worked tirelessly to identify and arrest this violent suspect, bringing a successful conclusion to this investigation." – Constable Mike Yake.

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News