21.25°C Vancouver

Jan 28, 2020 2:57 PM -

Sonia Furstenau promises to build on progress of B.C. Greens with leadership bid

Share On
sonia-furstenau-promises-to-build-on-progress-of-b-c-greens-with-leadership-bid
House leader Sonia Furstenau looks on as Mike Farnworth answers questions about the speaker situation and theMcLachlan report during a press conference at Legislature in Victoria, B.C., on Thursday, May 16, 2019. Furstenau, a Green member of the British Columbia legislature known for her fight against a contaminated-soil quarry in her community, has announced her bid for leadership of the party.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito

Sonia Furstenau, a Green member of the British Columbia legislature known for her fight against a contaminated-soil quarry in her community, is running for the party's leadership.

Furstenau, who represents the Cowichan Valley riding on Vancouver Island, promised at a news conference Monday to build on her party's progress and set it up for another election breakthrough.

Former leader Andrew Weaver was the lone Green member of the legislature until Furstenau and Adam Olsen joined him following the 2017 election, marking a historic moment for the party.

The three-member caucus signed a deal to support an NDP minority government, allowing the Greens to secure commitments to fight climate change, campaign financing and a referendum on electoral reform.

Furstenau said the Greens have been behind major policy changes including strengthening oversight of resource industries, making the legislature more transparent and accountable, and banning big money from politics.

But she said the changes have just scratched the surface of what the Greens can achieve.

"For me, leadership isn't about being the loudest or the most dominant person in the room. It is about listening and creating a sense of engagement and belonging," she said.

Weaver announced last fall that he would step down as leader, saying it was "time to let another generation take the lead." Earlier this month, he left the party to sit as an Independent, citing health challenges affecting his family.

Olsen is serving as interim leader until the party holds its leadership contest in June.

Furstenau said she was drawn into politics during the successful fight against a provincial permit that allowed a company to store contaminated soil in a quarry in the Cowichan Valley, potentially affecting water quality.

"It was most certainly a turning point in my life. I had never had aspirations to be in politics but the injustice of what was happening in my community drove me to want to participate in solving the roots of these problems," she said.

Through that work, she said it became clear to her that there was a "major disconnect" between how decisions are made in Victoria and Ottawa and the effects those decisions have on communities.

She blamed the former B.C. Liberal government for a "string of bad decisions" but also took aim at the NDP.

She said Premier John Horgan's government continues to claim B.C. has a strong economy while one in five children live in poverty, the forestry industry is in crisis and urban employers have worker shortages because of unaffordable housing.

"We could do so much better," she said.

Furstenau said she's spoken with dozens of enthusiastic future candidates who are eager to be "part of something new."


Latest news

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees

Related News