20.23°C Vancouver

Sep 15, 2022 7:14 PM - Connect News

Sharp-eyed store employees’ call to police results in return of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise in Richmond

Share On
sharp-eyed-store-employees-call-to-police-results-in-return-of-thousands-of-dollars-worth-of-merchandise-in-richmond
On August 31, 2022, Richmond RCMP responded to the 7800 block of Templeton Station Rd for an alleged theft-in-progress at a store within a mall. (Photo - Connect News)

On August 31, 2022, Richmond RCMP responded to the 7800 block of Templeton Station Rd for an alleged theft-in-progress at a store within a mall. The complainant, an employee from the store, advised employees were, from a safe distance, following a woman who had allegedly stolen multiple items.

Richmond RCMP frontline officers stationed at the Vancouver International Airport (YVR) quickly responded and arrested two women. The two allegedly were in possession of three reusable shopping bags. A search incidental to arrest resulted in the recovery of thousands of dollars-worth of clothing from multiple retail stores.

This is an excellent example of if you see something say something. Without the employee making the call to police these suspects may have gotten away scot-free, says Staff Sergeant Major Shane Stovern, NCO in-charge of RCMP Operations at YVR, Being able to recover and return this amount of merchandise to the impacted retailers put a big smile on our officers’ faces. We are here to serve the entire community of Sea Island and YVR. We encourage anyone who has been a victim or witness to a potential crime to contact police.

The two woman were released on police undertakings with conditions that include a no go to the mall.

This investigation remains active and on-going.

Latest news

b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic

Related News