0.19°C Vancouver

Jan 22, 2020 2:43 AM -

Shaheen Bagh protestors meet Delhi LG

Share On
shaheen-bagh-protestors-meet-delhi-lg
A delegation of protestors, including elderly women from Shaheen Bagh area, which met Delhi Lieutenant Governor/Photo-ANI

A delegation of protestors, including elderly women from Shaheen Bagh area, which met Delhi Lieutenant Governor (LG) Anil Baijal on Tuesday regard to their over month-long protest against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) and the proposed National Register of Citizens (NRC) said they were not pressurised to meet anyone.

An elderly woman, who was among the delegation said they will continue their protest and block roads on January 29 if the proposed CAA and NPR are taken forward by the government.

Earlier today, Baijal called for maintaining peace and order and urged the protestors to call off their agitation in view of continued inconvenience to locals due to the blockade of road.

"Met delegation of protestors from Shaheen Bagh. Assured them to convey their concerns to appropriate authorities. Appealed to call off their agitation in view of continued inconvenience to locals due to blockade of road. I once again request all to maintain peace and order," the LG tweeted.

Three elderly women -- Bilkis, Sharvari and Nurnesha -- were part of the delegation which met Baijal today.

"We were not coerced by anyone. He (Baijal) listened to us. If (Prime Minister Narendra) Modi is our son, then why did he not meet us and chalk out a solution," the woman said.

They also said that their concerns have been forwarded to the Prime Minister and Home Minister Amit Shah through a letter. Meanwhile, a petition was filed in the Supreme Court on Monday seeking directions to the police to open Kalindi Kunj-Shaheen Bagh stretch, which has been closed since December 15 due to ongoing protests against the CAA.

The petition said that the public at large is facing huge inconvenience and hardship as the road is blocked and residents, shopkeepers, children, and patients are facing extreme difficulties. Recently, the Delhi High Court asked the Delhi Police to look into the matter of blockage of Kalindi Kunj road due to the protest at Shaheen Bagh. Also, on Tuesday the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) took up a complaint on viral videos of children participating in protests at Shaheen Bagh. It wrote to the district magistrate of South Delhi asking the authority to submit a detailed report within 10 days.

The letter read: "As per the complaint, there are children shouting that their elders have told them that the Prime Minister and Home Minister of India will ask them to produce documents of citizenship and if they fail to produce they will be sent to detention centres where they will not be allowed even food and clothing."

The child rights body requested the district magistrate to direct the "District Child Protection Officer (DCPO) along with Police Child Welfare Officer/SJPU to identify children, shown in the viral videos, and arrange a counselling session for them and their parents if deemed fit".


Latest news

IndiaFeb 18, 2026

Court Grants Bail to BKU Ekta Ugrahan Leaders, Protests to Continue Across Punjab

A court in Bathinda on Wednesday granted bail to two senior leaders of Bharatiya Kisan Union Ekta Ugrahan who had been lodged in the Bathinda Central Jail during ongoing farmer protests in Punjab. Confirming the development, state president Joginder Singh Ugrahan said while the bail of the two leaders has been approved, demonstrations across the state will continue until all workers detained during the protests are released. He stated that the union will organize “victory rallies” across Punjab on Thursday. The arrests came as authorities moved to prevent a large-scale protest planned for
ottawa-expands-express-entry-system-to-include-researchers-and-military-recruits
CanadaFeb 18, 2026

Ottawa expands express entry system to include researchers and military recruits

The federal government is expanding Canada’s express entry immigration system to include new permanent residency pathways for researchers, senior managers and certain military recruits, Immigration Minister Lena Diab announced this week. The changes introduce three additional streams under the federal express entry program, aimed at attracting skilled professionals to address labour shortages and support what the minister described as a strategy to bring top talent to Canada. Among those newly eligible are researchers and senior managers with Canadian work experience. The transport sector wi
israeli-gunfire-incidents-in-gaza-leave-two-dead-several-injured-amid-medical-evacuation-delays
WorldFeb 18, 2026

Israeli gunfire incidents in Gaza leave two dead, several injured amid medical evacuation delays

Two Palestinians were killed in separate shooting incidents in Gaza on Wednesday, according to local hospital officials, as tensions continue despite a ceasefire announced in mid October. Medical authorities reported that the shootings occurred in the Al Mughraqa area of central Gaza and in Al Mawasi, west of Rafah in the south. At least three other Palestinians were injured in the incidents and taken to nearby hospitals for treatment. The violence comes as Israeli forces attempt to restrict movement near the Rafah border crossing with Egypt, a critical route for patients seeking urgent medica
AlbertaFeb 18, 2026

Traffic fatalities in Calgary raise renewed safety concerns as city reviews enforcement measures

Traffic-related deaths in Calgary are drawing renewed concern from municipal leaders after eight people were killed in collisions during the first seven weeks of the year. Three of the victims were pedestrians, according to city data, prompting calls for stronger safety measures on local roads. The most recent fatalities occurred over the Family Day weekend, when a child and a senior lost their lives in separate incidents. City officials say that if the current pace continues, the number of deaths in 2026 could exceed last year’s total of 38 traffic fatalities, marking a troubling trend for
alberta-mp-matt-jeneroux-joins-liberal-caucus-after-leaving-conservatives
CanadaFeb 18, 2026

Alberta MP Matt Jeneroux joins Liberal caucus after leaving Conservatives

Alberta Member of Parliament Matt Jeneroux has crossed the floor in the House of Commons, leaving the Conservative Party to sit with the Liberal caucus. Prime Minister Mark Carney announced the move on social media Tuesday morning, saying he was honoured to welcome Jeneroux as the newest member of the government caucus. Jeneroux, who represents an Edmonton-area riding, had previously indicated he intended to resign his seat later this year. The decision follows recent caucus changes in Ottawa. Earlier this month, Nova Scotia MP Chris d'Entremont also left the Conservatives to join the Liberals

Related News