5.4°C Vancouver

Jun 2, 2021 4:08 PM -

Indian Supreme Court directs Centre to submit complete data on purchase history of COVID-19 vaccines

Share On
sc-directs-centre-to-submit-complete-data-on-purchase-history-of-covid-19-vaccines
A file image of the Supreme Court of India/ ANI

The Supreme Court on Wednesday directed the Central government to submit complete data on its purchase history along with administration of doses of all the COVID-19 vaccines - Covaxin, Covishield and Sputnik V - till date.

"The data should clarify the dates of all procurement orders placed by the Centralgovernment for all three vaccines, the quantity of vaccines ordered on each date, and the projected date of supply," the Court said in its order.

The Apex Court also directed the Central government to file an affidavit on COVID-19 management, data on the percentage of the population (both rural and urban) vaccinated with the number of doses administered against eligible persons in the first three phases of the vaccination drive.

"While filing its affidavit, the Union of India (UoI) shall also ensure that copies of all the relevant documents and file notings reflecting its thinking and culminating in the vaccination policy...," it added.

The top court also passed a slew of directions in connection with the distribution of essential supplies and services during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The apex court three-judge bench, headed by Justice Dr Dhananjaya Y Chandrahud and also comprising justices L Nageswara Rao and Shripathi Ravindra Bhat passed the order on May 31.

The Court, in its order, said, "We also note that Union of India (UoI)'s stated position in its affidavit of May 9, is that every State/Union Territory (UT) governments shall provide vaccination free of cost to its population. It is important that state/UT governments confirm or deny this position before this Court."

The Court fixed the matter for further hearing till June 30 and directed the Central government to file its affidavit within two weeks.

Further, the Court also said that if they (states/UT governments) have decided to vaccinate their population for free then, as a matter of principle, it is important that this policy is annexed to their affidavit so that the population within their territories can be assured of their right to be vaccinated for free at a state vaccination centre.

"Hence, we direct each of the state/UT governments to also file an affidavit within two weeks, where they shall clarify their position and put on record their individual policies," the Court added.

The Court also said that an outline has to be filed by the Central government for how and when the Centre seeks to vaccinate the remaining population of the first, second, and third phases.

It further said that the steps being taken by the Central government to ensure drug availability for mucormycosis have also to be filed before the Court.

Latest news

police-examine-shooting-that-damaged-home-in-north-surrey
BCNov 27, 2025

Police examine shooting that damaged home in north Surrey

Surrey Police Service and the Surrey RCMP’s Provincial Operations Support Unit say they are reviewing evidence after shots were fired at a home in the Fraser Heights area early Thursday morning. Officers were called around 3:05 am to a residence near 112 Street and 153A Street, where they confirmed the house had been struck by gunfire. Police say no one was hurt. The General Investigation Unit with the RCMP support unit has taken over the file and is gathering surveillance footage and witness statements. Investigators are also checking whether the incident may connect to other recent police
richmond-rcmp-warns-residents-as-sophisticated-grandparent-scams-resurface
BCNov 27, 2025

Richmond RCMP warns residents as sophisticated grandparent scams resurface

Richmond RCMP is urging residents to be cautious after a recent rise in reports of so-called grandparent scams, a type of fraud that often targets seniors but can impact anyone who receives an unexpected call claiming a loved one is in trouble. Investigators say the scams share a common pattern in which suspects create panic and pressure victims into paying large sums of money. Police say one of the latest cases involved a caller pretending to be an official with a foreign embassy. The scammer told the victim that their grandson had been detained and that urgent bail money was required. The vi
mission-rcmp-seeks-public-assistance-after-violent-home-invasion-and-weapons-theft
BCNov 27, 2025

Mission RCMP seeks public assistance after violent home invasion and weapons theft

Mission RCMP says investigators are searching for two outstanding suspects after a violent home invasion earlier this month that left several residents injured and resulted in the theft of multiple long guns. Police were called to a home around 1:30 a.m. on November 13, where intruders allegedly forced their way inside, used pepper spray on the occupants, and struck one person with a crowbar. Officers say one suspect was injured during the altercation with the homeowner before fleeing. About half an hour later, staff at a local hospital reported that a man with suspicious injuries had been dro
ottawa-and-alberta-sign-agreement-on-west-coast-pipeline-propose-path-to-revisiting-b-c-tanker-limits
CanadaNov 27, 2025

Ottawa and Alberta sign agreement on West Coast pipeline, propose path to revisiting B.C. tanker limits

The federal government and Alberta have signed a new memorandum of understanding that lays out a framework for advancing an oil pipeline to Canada’s West Coast, while also opening the door to potential changes to British Columbia’s tanker restrictions. Prime Minister Mark Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith formalized the agreement at a ceremony in Calgary on Thursday, describing it as a step toward defining the project as one of national interest under the Building Canada Act. Under the terms released by officials, Ottawa says it would be prepared to adjust the West Coast tanker ban
akal-takht-acting-jathedar-meets-family-of-slain-jalandhar-teen-calls-for-strongest-penalties
IndiaNov 27, 2025

Akal Takht acting Jathedar meets family of slain Jalandhar teen, calls for strongest penalties

The acting Jathedar of the Akal Takht, Giani Kuldeep Singh Gargajj, met with the family of a 13-year-old girl who was killed during an alleged attempted sexual assault in Jalandhar, urging authorities to pursue the maximum punishment allowed under law. The visit comes as community members continue to express concern about the handling of the case. During the meeting, the Jathedar offered prayers for the victim and received a detailed account of the events from the family. He assured them that the Panth’s highest temporal seat, along with the broader Sikh community, supports the family as the

Related News