21.69°C Vancouver

Feb 21, 2024 3:31 PM - The Canadian Press

Saskatchewan Premier Moe in India amid country's diplomatic tensions with Ottawa

Share On
saskatchewan-premier-moe-in-india-amid-countrys-diplomatic-tensions-with-ottawa
Moe says he wants to maintain and expand markets that thousands of Saskatchewan jobs rely upon.(Photo: twiter/Scott Moe)

Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe is in India to promote trade despite heightened tensions between Canada and the overseas country.

Moe says he wants to maintain and expand markets that thousands of Saskatchewan jobs rely upon.

Tensions hit a boiling point last year, after India was accused of being involved in the killing of a Sikh community leader in British Columbia and meddling in Canada's affairs.

The accusations led to India forcing most of Canada's diplomats to be sent home.

Saskatchewan Opposition NDP trade critic Aleana Young says she hopes Moe addresses the killing in Canada, should that topic come up.

She says India is an important trading partner for Saskatchewan and any murder of a Canadian citizen should concern all levels of government.

"Being against the murder of a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil is something I would hope all Canadians could be unified behind, including this premier," Young said Tuesday.

Hardeep Singh Nijjar was shot dead in June outside his gurdwara in Surrey, B.C., where congregants decried it as a politically motivated attack.

In September, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Canadian intelligence agencies were "pursuing credible allegations of a potential link" between India's government and Nijjar's death. American officials later alleged other assassinations were being considered in Canada.

The independent inquiry into foreign interference of Canadian elections also asked Ottawa to share information about possible meddling by India.

New Delhi rejected that it's behind such acts and repeated its long-standing view that Canada allows Sikh separatists to intervene in its affairs.

Moe did not address Nijjar's death or issues of foreign interference in his statement about the weeklong trip.

"Saskatchewan has been working alongside India for many years and I'm proud of the relationships we've built in that time," Moe said.

The federal government did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the trip. In September, Ottawa postponed a trade mission to India.

The NDP compiled data that shows Saskatchewan has spent more than $230,000 on travel to India since 2018, with two trips taking place last year.

Young said Moe should not be taking the trip right now, arguing the province should be dealing with mounting health-care and education issues at home.

Canada’s total exports to India were valued at $5 billion last year, with Saskatchewan responsible for about one-quarter of that.

Latest news

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees

Related News