19.57°C Vancouver

Dec 24, 2020 9:24 PM -

Quebec and Ontario set new records for COVID-19 infections

Share On
quebec-and-ontario-set-new-records-for-covid-19-infections
A man makes his way through Pearson International Airport during the COVID-19 pandemic in Toronto on Monday, Dec. 14, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

Both Quebec and Ontario set new records today for COVID-19 infections.

Quebec reported 2,349 new cases and Ontario reported 2,447 cases.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford sent out a tweet urging everyone to go out only if it's necessary, even before the entire province goes into lockdown on Saturday.

Quebec is closing all non-essential businesses from tomorrow through January 11th.

And Alberta is banning indoor and outdoor social gatherings in the face of rising infections and hospitalizations.

Latest news

CanadaMay 21, 2026

Ontario investigating suspected Ebola case linked to East Africa travel

Ontario health officials say a patient who recently returned from East Africa has been hospitalized and tested for Ebola as a precautionary measure. A spokesperson for the Ontario Ministry of Health said the testing is being conducted under established medical protocols and “out of an abundance of caution.” Officials said there are currently no confirmed Ebola cases in the province. Public health authorities said infection-control measures have been implemented to reduce any potential risk of transmission. Officials also emphasized that Ebola does not spread easily through the air and said
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Toronto Pearson airport baggage tag scam linked to international drug smuggling investigation

A suspected international drug smuggling network operating through Toronto Pearson International Airport has been uncovered following the arrest of six baggage and ramp employees over the past year, according to reports citing an RCMP investigation. Authorities allege the scheme involved switching baggage tags on passengers’ luggage and replacing them with suitcases containing illegal drugs destined for international locations. The operation allegedly led to several innocent Canadian travellers being detained abroad on drug trafficking allegations. Reports indicate at least 17 passengers wer
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Edmonton police seize $8M worth of cocaine in multi-province drug investigation

Edmonton police say a nearly two-year joint investigation involving police agencies in Ontario and Winnipeg has led to the seizure of $37.2 million worth of illegal drugs across Canada and the arrest of 33 people. According to the Edmonton Police Service, officers executed a search warrant on April 16 in the area of 109 Street and Jasper Avenue, where investigators seized approximately 80 kilograms of cocaine, 176 grams of methamphetamine, 50 pounds of buffing agent, a firearm, ammunition and about $30,000 in cash. Police estimated the street value of the cocaine at roughly $8 million. A 21-ye
carney-says-new-oil-pipeline-would-require-emissions-plan-indigenous-consultation
BCMay 20, 2026

Carney says new oil pipeline would require emissions plan, Indigenous consultation

Prime Minister Mark Carney says any future oil pipeline connecting Alberta to the British Columbia coast would depend on conditions including a major emissions-reduction project, economic benefits for B.C., and constitutionally required consultation with First Nations. Speaking to the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Carney said the pipeline proposal discussed last week between the federal and Alberta governments would only move forward alongside the proposed Pathways Alliance carbon capture project. He said Indigenous consultation under Section 35 of the Constitution is “non-negotiable.”
AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Alberta ticket wins $12.5M share of Lotto Max jackpot

A Lotto Max ticket purchased in Alberta has won a $12.5-million share of the latest jackpot draw, according to the Western Canada Lottery Corporation. The corporation said the winning ticket was sold somewhere in Alberta outside the Edmonton and Calgary regions. Another winning ticket was sold in Quebec, splitting the $25-million jackpot between the two winners. Lottery officials said the Alberta ticket holder has one year from the draw date to claim the prize. The winning location and ticket holder have not yet been identified publicly. The jackpot split means multiple winners matched all sev

Related News