17.26°C Vancouver

Apr 29, 2024 1:41 PM - The Canadian Press

Pro-Palestinian encampment grows at Montreal's McGill university

Share On
pro-palestinian-encampment-grows-at-montreals-mcgill-university
While Montreal police could be seen parked on nearby streets and campus security were present, there were no signs of conflict at McGill on Sunday.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Pro-Palestinian student activists in Montreal have set up camp on the grounds of McGill University this weekend, following a wave of similar protests on campuses across the United States.

More than two dozen tents had been pitched at the school's downtown campus On Sunday afternoon, with a steady stream of visitors stopping by to drop off donations and supplies.

"Ruth," a McGill student and spokesperson who didn't want to give her full name for fear of reprisals from the school or police, said the campers intend to remain indefinitely.

She said student activists from McGill and Concordia universities are demanding their schools divest and cut ties and funding from Israeli institutions and companies in response to Israel's offensive in Gaza.

McGill said in a statement dated Saturday night that the students refused a request to remove their tents, but confirmed the protest had been peaceful and was contained to the lower field.

The encampment spokesperson said the Montreal students have been inspired by the dozens of pro-Palestinian protests that have appeared at campuses across the United States against the backdrop of the Israel-Hamas war. Critics argue the protests are antisemitic and leave Jewish students feeling unsafe.

"It's an incredible movement, and we feel like it's our time to contribute to that movement and try and refocus all our energy on Gaza, in the situation that is still costing thousands of lives as we speak," Ruth said.

The Associated Press reported that nearly 900 people had been arrested in U.S. college protests since April 18, when New York police removed a pro-Palestinian protest encampment at Columbia University and arrested more than 100 demonstrators.

The tensions are tied to the ongoing conflict in Gaza, which began after Hamas launched a deadly attack on southern Israel on Oct. 7, killing about 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and taking roughly 250 hostages. Vowing to stamp out Hamas, Israel launched an offensive in Gaza. In the ensuing war, Israel has killed more than 34,000 Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, according to the local health ministry.

While Montreal police could be seen parked on nearby streets and campus security were present, there were no signs of conflict at McGill on Sunday.

Dozens of supporters clapped and waved Palestinian flags near the encampment as a speaker on a megaphone chanted "Disclose. Divest. We will not stop, we will not rest."

A number of young people sat in tents and under tarps to hide from the drizzle in the encampment, which was flanked by a large banner reading "Ceasefire!" Someone had written the words "Viva viva Intifada" and "Free Palestine" in chalk on the gates leading to the school.

Intifada is an Arabic word with meanings that include shaking off oppression. In English, it is most commonly associated with two periods of particular intensity in the Israel-Palestine conflict, which included a series of attacks by Palestinian terrorist groups on public venues inside Israel.

In a video published to social media late Saturday, MP Anthony Housefather called on McGill to dismantle the encampment, with the help of police if needed. He said that while people have a right to protest, encampments violate "pretty much every code of conduct," including McGill's.

"I call upon the McGill administration in public, as I have in private, to make sure this encampment is removed, according to their own rules, given that we need to make sure students feel safe accessing campus for their final exams that are coming up," he said in a video on X.

Jewish organization B'nai Brith Canada, meanwhile, urged the public to write to provincial higher education ministers to denounce what it called "a horrifying normalization of antisemitism on university campuses," including McGill.

Ruth, the student spokesperson, said the campers haven't yet experienced any reprisals from the police or the school, but are prepared for it to happen.

She said the campers had no intention of leaving, and said their numbers had grown since the encampment was set up on Saturday.

"We just want to make sure that all eyes are on Gaza, all eyes on Rafah, all eyes on Palestine, that is our fundamental goal," she said.

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News