25.82°C Vancouver

Jun 24, 2024 5:27 PM - The Canadian Press

Princess Anne's planned trip to Newfoundland cancelled following injury

Share On
princess-annes-planned-trip-to-newfoundland-cancelled-following-injury
Neither the statement nor the spokesperson provided any detail about what happened, but the statement said Anne was expected to make a full recovery.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

An injury has forced Princess Anne to cancel a trip to Newfoundland this weekend to mark the 100th anniversary of the unveiling of the National War Memorial in St. John’s.

A spokesperson for Buckingham Palace confirmed Monday morning that the trip, slated for June 30 and July 1, had been called off after the princess was injured when she was out walking on Sunday evening. The 73-year-old sister of King Charles sustained minor injuries and a concussion on the Gatcombe Park estate in Gloucestershire, England, said a statement from Buckingham Palace on Monday.

Neither the statement nor the spokesperson provided any detail about what happened, but the statement said Anne was expected to make a full recovery.

"The King has been kept closely informed and joins the whole Royal Family in sending his fondest love and well-wishes to the princess for a speedy recovery," the statement said.

Anne was scheduled to arrive in Canada on June 30, ahead of the centennial ceremony in St. John's the following day. The July 1 anniversary will be particularly poignant, as the remains of an unidentified First World War soldier from what was then known as the Dominion of Newfoundland, will be entombed on the plateau of the memorial.

Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Andrew Furey said he was saddened to learn that Anne could no longer attend the event.

"On behalf of all Newfoundlanders and Labradorians, I wish her a quick and healthy recovery," he said in a statement Monday.

Anne is the colonel in chief of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment and president of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Britain's Press Association reported the princess was walking within the protected perimeter of the estate when she was injured. Though the exact cause of the injuries was unconfirmed, there were horses in the area. Her medical team said her head injuries were consistent with a potential impact from a horse’s head or legs.

Emergency services were called to the estate and she was treated at the scene before being transferred to Southmead Hospital in Bristol. Her husband, Vice Admiral Tim Laurence, accompanied her.

Latest news

montreal-to-equip-police-with-body-cameras-give-officers-new-powers
BCAug 21, 2026

Montreal to Equip Police with Body Cameras, Give Officers New Powers

Montreal Mayor Soraya Martinez Ferrada says police officers in the city will soon be equipped with body cameras and receive new powers to help them carry out their duties. The city plans to introduce a bylaw banning insults directed at municipal employees, including police officers. If approved, the bylaw would allow officers to issue fines to people who verbally abuse or insult them or other city employees. Martinez Ferrada made the announcement alongside Montreal’s police chief and the head of the police brotherhood. She emphasized that the proposed measure is not intended to prevent criti
majithia-hints-at-possible-revival-of-akali-bjp-alliance-in-punjab
IndiaAug 21, 2026

Majithia hints at possible revival of Akali-BJP alliance in Punjab

Senior Shiromani Akali Dal leader Bikram Singh Majithia has made a significant statement regarding the possibility of a renewed alliance between the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), saying that people in Punjab want the two parties to come together again. Majithia said the situation on the alliance would become completely clear in the coming days and that the top leadership of both parties would sit together and take a final decision. He said the two parties had gone their separate ways following the controversy over the farm laws, but the situation in Punjab has
BCAug 21, 2026

One Person Dies After Drowning in Cultus Lake Near Chilliwack

One person died after drowning in the waters of Cultus Lake near Chilliwack on Thursday afternoon. It is the second fatal incident in the Entrance Bay area in less than two weeks. According to Chilliwack RCMP Media Relations Officer Cpl. Carmen Kiener, police received a report at approximately 1:12 p.m. Thursday about a person missing in the water near Entrance Bay. The individual had reportedly been on an inflatable boat before going missing. After about an hour and a half of searching, the person was pulled from the water at approximately 2:40 p.m. First responders immediately performed CPR,
CanadaAug 21, 2026

Canada-U.S. trade talks continue as tariff deadline approaches

A deadline for a potential 50 per cent U.S. tariff on about $28 billion worth of Canadian exports is set to expire at midnight, as Canadian and U.S. officials work to finalize a trade agreement. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the two countries are close to reaching a deal. Canada’s chief trade negotiator, Janice Charette, is also meeting with U.S. officials in what is being described as a final effort to reach an agreement. According to sources cited in the supplied report, the proposed deal could reduce tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum from 50 per cent to 25 per cent. Tariffs on
BCAug 20, 2026

Single-Vehicle Collision Leads to Drug Trafficking Investigation

On August 19, 2026, at approximately 8:45 p.m., West Shore RCMP Frontline officers responded to a report of a single-vehicle collision involving a pickup truck near the intersection of Island Highway and Wale Road in Colwood. A witness told police that the vehicle had been performing a burnout before crashing into a telephone pole. Officers attended the scene and identified the driver as a 53-year-old man whose driver's licence had been suspended. Although the driver was determined to be sober, police found evidence of illicit narcotics inside the vehicle during their investigation. The man wa

Related News