19.79°C Vancouver

Jul 28, 2021 8:35 AM -

Parliament: LS, RS adjourned amid Opposition's 'Khela Hobe' sloganeering over Pegasus row

Share On
parliament-ls-rs-adjourned-amid-oppositions-khela-hobe-sloganeering-over-pegasus-row
Parliament: LS, RS adjourned amid Opposition's 'Khela Hobe' sloganeering over Pegasus row

Amid the continuous ruckus created by the Opposition, which raised 'Khela Hobe' slogan demanding a discussion on 'Pegasus Project' report, the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha both were adjourned till 2 pm on Wednesday on the sixth day of the ongoing Monsoon Session of Parliament.

The Lower House was adjourned two times on Wednesday, first till 12:30 pm and then 2:00 pm.

On the other hand, the Upper House of Parliament was also adjourned twice as well, first till 12 noon and then till 2 pm.

This comes as the leaders of Opposition parties had earlier in the day held a meeting at Parliament to chalk out the future course of action on several issues in both the Houses. Congress leader Rahul Gandhi was also present at the meeting.

Accusing the Centre of defaming the Opposition, Gandhi at the meeting said, "Government is defaming Opposition by saying that we're not allowing Parliament to function, while we are raising matters related to the citizens, farmers and security of the country."

Speaking to ANI after the meeting, Gandhi said, "We don't want to compromise on the issues of inflation, Pegasus, and farmers' issues. We want discussion in the House."

Earlier today, CPI (Marxist) MP Elamaram Kareem gave suspension of business notice under Rule 267 in Rajya Sabha, demanding a discussion on the 'Pegasus Project' report.

The Monsoon Session began on a stormy note on July 19 amidst uproar from Opposition parties who did not allow Prime Minister Narendra Modi to introduce newly-inducted Union ministers to the Parliament.

The session shall conclude on August 13.

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News