3.59°C Vancouver

Mar 2, 2020 6:40 PM -

Ontario reports three new coronavirus cases, brings province's total to 18

Share On
ontario-reports-three-new-coronavirus-cases-brings-provinces-total-to-18
File image/ The Canadian Press

Ontario is reporting three new cases of the novel coronavirus today, bringing the total in the province to 18.

The province's chief medical officer of health, Dr. David Williams, is expected to provide details about the new cases at a news conference this afternoon.

A spate of new cases was reported over the weekend, all of them people who had recently travelled to Iran or Egypt, or family members of those who had visited the countries.

Williams has said that so far it doesn't appear the virus known as COVID-19 is spreading locally.

The province's first four cases were people with a travel history to China, where the outbreak originated, and three of them have since been completely cleared of the virus.

Iran has confirmed 1,501 cases of the virus and 66 deaths, but many believe the true number is larger as its caseload surged more than 250 per cent in just 24 hours.

Egypt has only two publicly reported cases of the illness.

In China, nearly 80,000 people have been diagnosed and more than 2,800 have died.

Ontario's three new cases bring Canada's total to 27, with eight cases in British Columbia and one in Quebec.

Latest news

new-westminster-police-seize-pills-and-cash-in-queensborough-drug-trafficking-probe
BCFeb 20, 2026

New Westminster police seize pills and cash in Queensborough drug trafficking probe

Police in New Westminster say a targeted drug trafficking investigation has led to the seizure of a significant quantity of pills, other suspected drugs and cash from a property in the Queensborough neighbourhood. According to the New Westminster Police Department, its Street Crime Unit launched the investigation in January and worked alongside another regional policing agency. Officers later executed a search warrant at a residence in Queensborough as part of the ongoing probe. Sgt. Andrew Leaver said drug trafficking and related violence are not tolerated in the city. He noted that the depar
CanadaFeb 20, 2026

Canada advances to gold medal game after 3–2 semifinal win over Finland

Canada is heading to the gold medal game at the Winter Olympics 2026 after defeating Finland 3–2 in a tightly contested men’s hockey semifinal on Saturday. Finland opened the scoring late in the first period when Mikko Rantanen found the back of the net to give his team a 1–0 lead. Early in the second period, Erik Haula extended Finland’s advantage to 2–0, putting pressure on the Canadian squad. Canada responded before the end of the second period. West Vancouver native Sam Reinhart scored on a deflection with five minutes remaining in the frame, cutting the deficit to 2–1 and shif
india-u-s-likely-to-sign-interim-trade-deal-in-march-says-piyush-goyal
IndiaFeb 20, 2026

India, U.S. Likely to Sign Interim Trade Deal in March, Says Piyush Goyal

India’s Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal says an interim trade agreement between India and the United States could be signed as early as March, with implementation expected in April. The minister shared the update on Friday, indicating that negotiations have entered a final legal stage. According to Goyal, officials from both countries are scheduled to meet in the United States starting February 23 for three days of discussions aimed at finalizing the legal framework of the proposed agreement. The interim deal is expected to address tariff issues and market access while broader tr
WorldFeb 20, 2026

Bangladesh restores visa services for Indian nationals days after new government takes office

Bangladesh has reinstated visa services for Indian citizens just three days after a new government led by the Bangladesh Nationalist Party took office. Prime Minister Tarique Rahman announced Friday that all visa categories for Indian nationals have been restored, reversing a suspension imposed nearly two months ago. The earlier halt to visa processing had been introduced under the administration of former prime minister Muhammad Yunus. At that time, Bangladeshi authorities cited administrative and diplomatic considerations for pausing services. The decision had affected travellers seeking med
canada-welcomes-u-s-supreme-court-ruling-striking-down-trump-emergency-tariffs-but-sector
CanadaFeb 20, 2026

Canada welcomes U.S. Supreme Court ruling striking down Trump emergency tariffs, but sector

Canada’s Minister of International Trade, Dominic LeBlanc, says a recent decision by the Supreme Court of the United States to overturn tariffs imposed under former president Donald Trump’s emergency powers validates Canada’s long-standing position that the measures were unjustified. In a statement responding to the ruling, LeBlanc said the court’s decision confirms Canada’s argument that duties introduced under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act were not legally sound. Ottawa had previously raised concerns that the tariffs created uncertainty for cross-border trade and

Related News