21.46°C Vancouver

Sep 5, 2024 5:37 PM - The Canadian Press

No photos of Trudeau on campaign signs in Montreal riding ahead of byelection

Share On
no-photos-of-trudeau-on-campaign-signs-in-montreal-riding-ahead-of-byelection
The riding, in Montreal's southwest, has long been a Liberal stronghold. Former cabinet minister David Lametti held it from 2015 until he resigned in January.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

One familiar face is conspicuously absent from a federal byelection campaign in Montreal that could have major implications for the Liberal government.

As candidates embark on the home stretch of the campaign in LaSalle Émard Verdun, their election signs are everywhere at major intersections, on side streets, fixed to lampposts, beneath stop signs.

Alongside photos of the candidates are images of their leaders: Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre, smiling against a backdrop of a Canadian flag; Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet, smiling against a pale blue backdrop; NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh, smiling against a backdrop of some sort of greenery.

But campaign signs featuring Prime Minister Justin Trudeau smiling or otherwise are nowhere to be found.

The riding, in Montreal's southwest, has long been a Liberal stronghold. Former cabinet minister David Lametti held it from 2015 until he resigned in January. But with the Liberals lagging in the polls, LaSalle Émard Verdun could be up for grabs this time around, with one survey suggesting both the NDP and the Bloc are competitive. Voters will go to the polls on Sept. 16.

The absence of Trudeau images is not surprising for a governing party well into its third term, said former Liberal staffer Carlene Variyan. "The early years of a governing party's life cycle tend to place the party leader at the centre of its branding, with the outer years being characterized by a greater focus on the party name and brand," she said.

Photos of Trudeau have appeared on campaign signs in general elections past. Andrew Perez, principal at Perez Strategies and a Liberal strategist, said he remembers volunteering during the 2015 campaign, when Trudeau first came to power. At the time, he said, "Trudeau was the brand … and visibly that was the focus of the signage."

Nearly a decade later, though, Trudeau's brand has been badly tarnished. "In past elections, Trudeau was front and centre in all the messaging of the campaign. His picture was everywhere," said Vincent Raynauld, affiliate professor of communications at Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières. "The novelty of Trudeau and the youth and the positive energy … is not necessarily there this time around. So I think they're going to try to find other ways to energize the public."

Party spokesperson Parker Lund said in an email that the Liberal party signs in LaSalle Émard Verdun, featuring photos of candidate Laura Palestini, "are the same design that we have used in previous Quebec byelections."

The most recent Quebec byelection was in June 2023, when Liberal Anna Gainey won a seat in another Montreal riding. Before that, there hadn't been a byelection in the province since before the 2019 election.

Lund pointed out that the phrase "Team Trudeau" is printed on the bottom of all of Palestini's campaign signs, and the prime minister visited the riding last month. Voters in the riding will also be receiving "a number of Liberal print products, including a letter from Justin Trudeau," ahead of election day, he said.

Perez said political operatives have long used subtle changes in branding and signage to telegraph messages to voters. He recalled that during the 2004 election, then-prime minister Paul Martin included his name and image on every campaign sign featuring local candidates. He said it was a "deliberate attempt to distance the Liberal party" from Martin's predecessor, Jean Chrétien.

A recent Léger poll found the Liberals lagging the Conservatives in all regions of the country except Quebec. But even in Quebec, the poll found the Liberals running in second place behind the Bloc Québécois. Earlier this summer, Trudeau suffered a major blow when the Liberals lost another former stronghold, Toronto St. Paul's, in a June byelection. The loss prompted calls for the prime minister to step aside.

LaSalle Émard Verdun is a "crown jewel of the party," Perez said, pointing out that it was Martin's seat for 20 years, under the old name of LaSalle Émard. If the Liberals were to lose it, he said, "it will blow open the doors yet again for another debate around Trudeau's future."

Perez said the situation is further complicated by the NDP's decision Wednesday to pull out of the supply-and-confidence agreement that has helped keep the minority Liberal government in power. That decision means the Liberals will now have to seek support from opposition parties on a case-by-case basis on key votes to avoid triggering an election.

The Montreal byelection will feature two municipal councillors, Palestini and NDP candidate Craig Sauvé. The Bloc candidate is longtime political staffer Louis-Philippe Sauvé, and business owner Louis Ialenti is running for the Conservatives.

The ballot will include a record 91 candidates, most of whom are linked to the Longest Ballot Committee, a group protesting Canada's first-past-the-post voting system. Elections Canada is warning that the large number of candidates could cause delays when the ballots, which will be nearly a metre long, are counted on voting day.

The agency says it has recruited more workers to count votes cast during advance polls, which open Friday, and workers will start counting the advance ballots before polls close on Sept. 16. Elections Canada also says it is running simulations to help prepare for election night, which include going through "the whole counting process to see how long it takes to open a ballot box, unfold all the ballots, count the votes, deal with any objections and report results."

Latest news

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees

Related News