22.25°C Vancouver

Jan 13, 2023 1:52 AM - Connect News

New fund to protect thousands of renters in B.C. - Premier Eby

Share On

More renters in B.C. will be protected from housing speculators and profiteers through the creation of a new $500 million Rental Protection Fund dedicated to protecting tenants and preserving affordable rental homes for decades.

"Today, we’re taking action to protect renters who found an affordable place to live, but are worried their building will be bought out from underneath them," said Premier David Eby. "This fund will allow non-profits to secure older rental buildings and protect vulnerable renters from speculators who can drive up rents and evict tenants that have lived there for years. Instead, community non-profits will now be able to work with tenants to make improvements or expand to house more people, and at the same time protect affordable housing."

Increasingly, in B.C. and across Canada, older rental housing buildings are being bought by speculators and large corporations, such as real estate investment trusts. Their business model often includes redeveloping properties so they can evict tenants, allowing the trusts to make large profits by either hiking rents or selling the units and taking much-needed rental housing off the market.

The Rental Protection Fund will provide one-time capital grants to non-profit housing organizations so they can purchase affordable residential rental buildings and ownership co-operatives listed for sale to protect the renters that are living there and safeguard those rental units for the long-term. The fund is expected to protect thousands of affordable housing units throughout the province.

A new report from BC Housing shows 2022 had the highest number of new purpose-built rental units on record. A total of 14,546 rental units were registered last year, representing a 10% increase from 2021. In 2012, BC Housing recorded fewer than 2,000 new rental units.

"Our province is building more rental housing than ever, but we must also protect what we have. It’s not acceptable for speculators to be pushing renters out of their homes," said Ravi Kahlon, Minister of Housing. "By protecting more affordable housing more people can stay in their homes and build a good life in B.C."

Latest news

peter-milobar-announces-departure-from-b-c-conservative-caucus
BCAug 14, 2026

Peter Milobar Announces Departure from B.C. Conservative Caucus

Senior B.C. Conservative MLA Peter Milobar has formally announced that he is leaving the party caucus, effective immediately. He will now sit as an independent MLA for Kamloops Centre in the B.C. legislature. Milobar said that over the past several months, it had become increasingly clear to him that his personal values no longer aligned with the party’s new direction under Leader Kami-Leon Findlay. He said he fully respects Findlay’s right to shape the party according to her vision, but stressed that his top priority remains serving the people of Kamloops Centre, a commitment that has not
gunfire-outside-former-jathedar-giani-raghbir-singhs-residence
IndiaAug 14, 2026

Gunfire Outside Former Jathedar Giani Raghbir Singh’s Residence

A firing incident involving the vehicle of former Jathedar of Sri Akal Takht Sahib and former Head Granthi of Sri Harmandir Sahib, Giani Raghbir Singh, has come to light. The incident was discovered when his driver noticed a bullet lodged in the vehicle while cleaning it and immediately informed the police. Giani Raghbir Singh said police have launched an investigation into the incident. He added that he also checked the CCTV footage outside his residence. According to the footage, a sound believed to be a gunshot was heard at around 11:04 p.m. on August 12, after which the security guard pres
b-c-premier-announces-three-cabinet-changes-as-brenda-bailey-takes-leave-for-cancer-treatment
BCAug 14, 2026

B.C. Premier Announces Three Cabinet Changes as Brenda Bailey Takes Leave for Cancer Treatment

British Columbia Premier David Eby has announced three cabinet changes following Finance Minister Brenda Bailey’s decision to take a leave of absence for cancer treatment and recovery. Bailey has been diagnosed with early-stage cancer that is treatable. She is expected to begin treatment in late August 2026 and return to work in early October. She will remain a member of cabinet during her leave. Effective August 14, the changes are: Josie Osborne — Minister of Finance Ravi Kahlon — Minister of Health Brenda Bailey — Minister of Jobs and Economic Growth Bailey is returning to the
downtown-vancouver-stranger-assault-vpd-seeks-witnesses
BCAug 14, 2026

Downtown Vancouver stranger assault: VPD seeks witnesses

Vancouver Police are investigating a random assault that left a man seriously injured near Nelson and Richards streets. Police say a couple was walking back to their hotel after attending a concert at around 11:45 p.m. when a stranger approached from behind and punched one of them in the face. The victim fell and struck his head on the pavement. The suspect then fled toward Granville Street. The victim was taken to hospital with serious injuries. The suspect is described as a white man, approximately 5'5" to 5'8" tall, aged 20 to 35, with a medium build. He was reportedly wearing fingerless gl
CanadaAug 14, 2026

Greer Takes Tough Stance Amid Canada-U.S. Tariff Talks

As Canada continues efforts to secure a tariff deal with the United States, U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer has issued a strong response. Speaking to reporters in Des Moines, Iowa, on Friday, Greer said the proposed 50 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods are not a sudden decision. He said they are a response to retaliatory measures previously imposed by Canada against U.S. products. Greer criticized Canada for imposing retaliatory tariffs rather than engaging directly with Washington, comparing the approach to the strategy used by countries such as China. He pointed to Canadian measure

Related News