17.79°C Vancouver

Jul 2, 2021 10:41 AM -

New chapter for world's leading English test: IDP to acquire British Council's IELTS business in India

Share On
new-chapter-for-worlds-leading-english-test-idp-to-acquire-british-councils-ielts-business-in-india
New chapter for world's leading English test: IDP to acquire British Council's IELTS business in India

IDP and British Council, two partners of IELTS, the world's most popular high-stakes English language test, have announced today that British Council will sell its IELTS business in India to IDP.

This means that all IELTS tests in India will be delivered by IDP.

Under the terms of the agreement, IDP will acquire 100 per cent of British Council's India IELTS business for £130 million on a debt free, cash free basis.

The terms also outline that British Council employees working on IELTS in India will become part of the IDP team.

The transaction is subject to customary conditions with completion expected to occur in August.

The International English Language Testing System, or IELTS, is the world's most popular English language test for study and migration and is trusted by more than 10,000 organisations around the world as a secure and reliable indicator of English language proficiency.

One of the key benefits of this sale is that customers will see continuity of the test they know and trust.

Andrew Barkla, CEO of IDP, said, "This agreement marks the start of a new chapter for IELTS in India."

"By bringing together two expert teams, test takers can feel confident they are getting the best experience possible when taking their world-leading test," Mr Barkla said.

"Our test takers can focus on preparing for their test as planned, and our team is here to make sure everything goes smoothly on test day," he said.

"IELTS' 30-year history and global partnership model means it has globally-standardised quality and integrity processes already built into every centre's operations," he added.

Barkla said this agreement will help many people in India reignite their global goals.

"This agreement will see us move forward with expert teams, a strong strategy and a large geographic footprint across India," he said.

"Together we are well-placed to help more people in India take the first step in achieving their global study, work and career ambitions."

Kate Ewart-Biggs, Interim CEO of British Council, reiterated its commitment to its broader services in India.

"Distributing IELTS solely through IDP in India will simplify and improve the customer experience for IELTS test takers. As IDP already delivers IELTS in India, the high-quality service provided to IELTS customers will remain the same."

"To ensure we could continue to deliver on our global cultural relations mission, we explored strategic options for the English examinations business with IDP in India in 2020. The proceeds of the sale will enable British Council to improve its financial position following the impact of COVID-19 on our finances," Ewart-Biggs said.
"Our wider British Council work will continue in India. We remain committed to realising our goal of building trust and understanding between the United Kingdom and India through arts, education, assessment and the English language."

"We would like to recognise the hard work of our staff across India who have worked tirelessly for many years and especially throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. It is our leading British Council IELTS teams in India, now transitioning to IDP, who put their heart and soul into delivering safe and trusted testing services year on year."

This story is provided by PRNewswire. ANI will not be responsible in any way for the content of this article.

Latest news

senior-man-dies-after-being-struck-by-translink-bus-in-surrey
BCAug 20, 2026

Senior Man Dies After Being Struck by TransLink Bus in Surrey

A senior man who was seriously injured after being struck by a TransLink bus in Surrey last month has died in hospital. According to the Surrey Police Service, the man, believed to be between 60 and 65 years old, was found seriously injured at the intersection of 128 Street and 96 Avenue at around 9:41 p.m. on July 11. Paramedics rushed him to hospital, where he later died while undergoing treatment. Police believe the incident occurred near a bus stop. The initial investigation has ruled out factors such as excessive speed and impairment as possible causes of the crash. SPS is asking anyone w
AlbertaAug 20, 2026

Alberta to Host Second Town Hall on AI Data Centre Plans in Sturgeon County

Alberta Technology Minister Nate Glubish is set to host the province’s second town hall on its plans for artificial intelligence data centres on Thursday in Redwater, north of Edmonton. The event comes amid growing concerns over the environmental and economic impacts of large-scale AI facilities. Redwater is in Sturgeon County, where tech giant Meta is planning a $13-billion AI data centre project. The proposed facility would be a major investment in the region and is expected to be one of Canada’s largest data centres. The town hall follows a contentious meeting in Lacombe on Wednesday,
cta-orders-westjet-to-remove-power-wheelchair-weight-limit
CanadaAug 20, 2026

CTA Orders WestJet to Remove Power Wheelchair Weight Limit

The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) has ordered WestJet, Canada’s second-largest airline, to eliminate the weight limit it imposes on power wheelchairs carried on its aircraft. The regulator ruled that WestJet’s weight restriction creates an unreasonable barrier for passengers living with disabilities and must be removed before July 2027. The case came to light following a complaint filed by Winnipeg resident and former federal cabinet minister Steven Fletcher, who was prevented from boarding a WestJet flight last year because of the weight of his customized electric wheelchair. WestJ
BCAug 20, 2026

15-Year-Old Charged After Allegedly Threatening to Burn Down Port Coquitlam Home

A 15-year-old youth has been criminally charged after allegedly making threats to burn down a home in Port Coquitlam. According to Coquitlam RCMP, the case relates to an incident that occurred on May 17 this year. Following an investigation by the General Investigation Section and a review of the evidence, the B.C. Prosecution Service approved the charges on August 4. The youth’s identity has not been released because of his age under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Police also clarified that he is not a resident of the Port Coquitlam area. The youth is facing three charges, including mischi
poilievre-invites-irans-exiled-crown-prince-reza-pahlavi-to-visit-canada
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Poilievre Holds Video Call With Reza Pahlavi, Invites Him to Canada

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre held a video conference today with Iran’s exiled former Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi and invited him to visit Canada. Sharing details of the conversation, Poilievre said they discussed the current regime in Tehran and the mission to establish a free and democratic Iran. He also mentioned the strong support he received from Vancouver’s Iranian community for holding talks with Pahlavi. Poiliev was in the North Vancouver–Capilano riding last week, where a by-election is scheduled for August 31. On Saturday, he attended a meeting organized by the Conservativ

Related News