19.25°C Vancouver

Jan 29, 2020 5:35 PM -

New Brunswick’s John Williamson considering Tory leadership

Share On
new-brunswicks-john-williamson-considering-tory-leadership
Prime Minister Stephen Harper welcomes new MP John Williamson at the start of caucus meetings in Ottawa, Wednesday June 1, 2011. Another Conservative MP is testing the waters for a leadership bid. New Brunswick’s John Williamson is considering entering the race. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

New Brunswick MP John Williamson is exploring a bid for leadership of the federal Conservatives, he said Wednesday.

Williamson's announcement emerged as many Tories are grappling with whom to support in the contest now that some high-powered candidates have left the field, including former interim leader Rona Ambrose and longtime Tory MP Pierre Poilievre.

"The race is wide open and there is room, I believe, for a movement Conservative candidate and those are the waters that I'm testing right now," he said.

Former Conservative cabinet ministers Peter MacKay and Erin O'Toole are the only declared contenders who've also met the first requirements for entry into the race a $25,000 payment and 1,000 signatures from party members representing 30 ridings across seven provinces or territories.

But despite those two candidates' perceived front-runner status, there's room for others, Williamson said.

"I think it's clear that Peter MacKay has sewn up the Red Tory bloc and there is a huge element of blue conservatives on the right which are looking for a candidate," he said.

"Erin O'Toole is moving in that direction, trying to occupy that space, but that's not his natural home."

There are at least eight others engaged in rustling up the money and signatures needed to run, and five more who, like Williamson, are mulling whether they would have enough support to do so.

The first $25,000 and 1,000 signatures must be submitted to the party by Feb. 27, with a further $275,000 and 2,000 more signatures due by March 25.

Conservative party members will elect a new leader on June 27.

Latest news

AlbertaAug 19, 2026

Alberta AI Data Centres Face Public Scrutiny at Lacombe Town Hall

Alberta’s Minister of Technology and Innovation, Nate Glubish, is holding a town hall meeting in Lacombe this evening to hear residents’ views and concerns about artificial intelligence (AI) data centres. Plans to establish large-scale data centres in the area have faced opposition from some local residents and environmental advocates. Critics are particularly concerned about the large amounts of water the facilities could consume, their potential impact on the environment, and the heavy electricity demand that could put additional pressure on Alberta’s power grid and potentially increas
b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint

Related News