-0.07°C Vancouver

Mar 5, 2020 10:15 PM -

Navdeep Bains: Government moving forward on its commitment to reduce wireless prices

Share On
navdeep-bains-government-moving-forward-on-its-commitment-to-reduce-wireless-prices
Innovation Minister Navdeep Bains holds a press conference in Ottawa on Wednesday, July 24, 2019. The federal government is making clear that cuts to wireless rates it expects from mobile service providers must go above and beyond any price reductions already seen since 2016. Bains says the 25 per cent rate reductions he has been mandated to achieve over the next two years will be measured from after the October election. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

Federal Industry Minister Navdeep Bains says the government is moving forward on its commitment to reduce wireless prices with quarterly progress reports and spectrum set aside for smaller carriers in an upcoming auction.

He says the incumbents Bell, Telus and Rogers have two years to reduce prices for their wireless plans in the two to six gigabyte range by 25 per cent from where they were at the start of this year, or face further regulatory action.

The commitment comes as a 2019 pricing report showed regional carriers had plans substantially lower than the big three carriers, though the wireless space in Canada has shifted substantially since much of the data was gathered last May.

One of the biggest changes is the shift by the big three to 10 gigabyte wireless plans with no overage penalties, which has helped lead to significant price reductions by the incumbents in numerous categories, but Bains says there still hasn't been enough of a price drop in the two to six gigabyte range that makes up about 40 per cent of subscriptions.

He says that for the upcoming auction of 3500 MHz band wireless spectrum, the government will set aside 25 per cent of what's on offer for smaller and regional competitors, where space allows, to further foster competition.

The auction for the spectrum, which is capable of running 5G wireless technology that is up to 100 times faster than 4G systems, is scheduled for Dec. 15 this year.


Latest news

IndiaFeb 18, 2026

Court Grants Bail to BKU Ekta Ugrahan Leaders, Protests to Continue Across Punjab

A court in Bathinda on Wednesday granted bail to two senior leaders of Bharatiya Kisan Union Ekta Ugrahan who had been lodged in the Bathinda Central Jail during ongoing farmer protests in Punjab. Confirming the development, state president Joginder Singh Ugrahan said while the bail of the two leaders has been approved, demonstrations across the state will continue until all workers detained during the protests are released. He stated that the union will organize “victory rallies” across Punjab on Thursday. The arrests came as authorities moved to prevent a large-scale protest planned for
ottawa-expands-express-entry-system-to-include-researchers-and-military-recruits
CanadaFeb 18, 2026

Ottawa expands express entry system to include researchers and military recruits

The federal government is expanding Canada’s express entry immigration system to include new permanent residency pathways for researchers, senior managers and certain military recruits, Immigration Minister Lena Diab announced this week. The changes introduce three additional streams under the federal express entry program, aimed at attracting skilled professionals to address labour shortages and support what the minister described as a strategy to bring top talent to Canada. Among those newly eligible are researchers and senior managers with Canadian work experience. The transport sector wi
israeli-gunfire-incidents-in-gaza-leave-two-dead-several-injured-amid-medical-evacuation-delays
WorldFeb 18, 2026

Israeli gunfire incidents in Gaza leave two dead, several injured amid medical evacuation delays

Two Palestinians were killed in separate shooting incidents in Gaza on Wednesday, according to local hospital officials, as tensions continue despite a ceasefire announced in mid October. Medical authorities reported that the shootings occurred in the Al Mughraqa area of central Gaza and in Al Mawasi, west of Rafah in the south. At least three other Palestinians were injured in the incidents and taken to nearby hospitals for treatment. The violence comes as Israeli forces attempt to restrict movement near the Rafah border crossing with Egypt, a critical route for patients seeking urgent medica
AlbertaFeb 18, 2026

Traffic fatalities in Calgary raise renewed safety concerns as city reviews enforcement measures

Traffic-related deaths in Calgary are drawing renewed concern from municipal leaders after eight people were killed in collisions during the first seven weeks of the year. Three of the victims were pedestrians, according to city data, prompting calls for stronger safety measures on local roads. The most recent fatalities occurred over the Family Day weekend, when a child and a senior lost their lives in separate incidents. City officials say that if the current pace continues, the number of deaths in 2026 could exceed last year’s total of 38 traffic fatalities, marking a troubling trend for
alberta-mp-matt-jeneroux-joins-liberal-caucus-after-leaving-conservatives
CanadaFeb 18, 2026

Alberta MP Matt Jeneroux joins Liberal caucus after leaving Conservatives

Alberta Member of Parliament Matt Jeneroux has crossed the floor in the House of Commons, leaving the Conservative Party to sit with the Liberal caucus. Prime Minister Mark Carney announced the move on social media Tuesday morning, saying he was honoured to welcome Jeneroux as the newest member of the government caucus. Jeneroux, who represents an Edmonton-area riding, had previously indicated he intended to resign his seat later this year. The decision follows recent caucus changes in Ottawa. Earlier this month, Nova Scotia MP Chris d'Entremont also left the Conservatives to join the Liberals

Related News