22.54°C Vancouver

Feb 23, 2023 7:34 PM - The Canadian Press

Media advocate calls Google's move to block news content disrespectful to Canadians

Share On
media-advocate-calls-googles-move-to-block-news-content-disrespectful-to-canadians
Google confirmed on Wednesday that it's blocking less than four per cent of Canadian users from viewing news content in a five-week test run of a potential response to the Liberal government's online news bill.

Advocates for the print and digital media industry say Google is disrespecting Canadian readers by temporarily blocking news to some of its users.

News Media Canada president Paul Deegan says the action is unbecoming of the leading global company.

Google confirmed on Wednesday that it's blocking less than four per cent of Canadian users from viewing news content in a five-week test run of a potential response to the Liberal government's online news bill.

Bill C-18 would require digital giants such as Google and Meta, which owns Facebook, to negotiate deals to compensate Canadian media companies for displaying or providing links to their news content.

FRIENDS, formerly known as Friends of Canadian Broadcasting, says the move by Google is about greed.

Its executive director Marla Boltman says Google is pursuing money at all costs, rather than co-operating with lawmakers around the world to support and sustain the free press and democracy.

Latest news

IndiaAug 19, 2026

Various Sikh Organisations Support ‘Punjab Bandh’ Call

Various Sikh organisations have extended their support to the ‘Punjab Bandh’ call given by the Qaumi Insaaf Morcha for August 21. The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) has also backed the bandh and decided to keep its offices and all affiliated institutions closed on August 21. Apart from the SGPC, the Shiromani Akali Dal Reunited, Akali Dal ‘Waris Punjab De’, Dal Khalsa, Hawara Committee, Mann Dal and several other Sikh organisations have announced their support for the bandh. Sikh leaders have appealed to the public to completely shut their businesses until 2 p.m. on Aug
vancouver-granville-street-homicide-35-year-old-man-arrested
BCAug 19, 2026

Vancouver Granville Street Homicide: 35-Year-Old Man Arrested

Vancouver Police have arrested 35-year-old James Christopher Holmgren after Crown counsel approved a second-degree murder charge in connection with a fatal stabbing on Granville Street last year. Police were called to the area of Granville Street and Helmcken Street on November 17, 2025, after reports of a man suffering from a stab wound. The victim, 20-year-old Aymen Al-Hafidh, was taken to hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Holmgren was arrested by Vancouver Police Homicide Unit detectives and remains in custody.
b-c-wildfires-destroy-or-damage-more-than-500-buildings-this-year
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Wildfires Destroy or Damage More Than 500 Buildings This Year

More than 500 homes and buildings have been destroyed or damaged by wildfires across British Columbia this year, marking one of the province’s worst years for structural wildfire damage in recent years. Although the total area of forest burned remains lower than in some record-breaking fire seasons, more than 1,000 wildfires have already caused significant damage to structures. Four major fires - Bald Range near Summerland, the Bradley Complex near Vernon, the Big Bar Complex near Clinton and the Brunswick Complex near Boston Bar - have grown to major incidents, with only the Bradley Compl
IndiaAug 19, 2026

Kolkata Hotel Fire Kills 9, Including 5 Bangladeshis

A devastating fire broke out at a hotel in Kolkata, West Bengal, early Wednesday morning, killing around nine people, including five Bangladeshi nationals. A child was also among those who died. Police officials said the fire broke out on the second floor of the hotel at around 2:50 a.m. local time and was brought under control within about an hour. A preliminary investigation suggests that an electrical short circuit may have caused the fire. According to Bangladesh’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, four of the five Bangladeshi nationals who died were members of the same family. Six other Bang
canada-u-s-trade-deal-trump-announces-no-new-tariffs-auto-tariffs-to-get-relief
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada-U.S. Trade Deal: Trump Announces No New Tariffs, Auto Tariffs to Get Relief

Canada-U.S. trade relations could be entering a new phase. U.S. President Donald Trump said Wednesday while speaking to reporters in Washington that no new tariffs will be imposed on goods coming from Canada. He also announced some relief from the tariffs imposed on Canadian automobiles. Trump described the proposed trade agreement as a “great” deal for American farmers and a very good deal for both countries. Meanwhile, during a meeting with Canadian Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc in Washington, U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told reporters that the two countries had reached an

Related News