1.77°C Vancouver

Oct 4, 2024 3:44 PM - Connect Newsroom - Debby Rai with files from The Canadian Press

Suspicious fire in historic Old Montreal building sends one to hospital, investigation underway

Share On
injuries-reported-after-fire-sweeps-through-century-old-building-in-old-montreal
Fire broke out about 2:40 a.m. on the ground floor of the building, which houses a restaurant, with the upper floors used for short-term rentals. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

Montreal police are investigating a major fire that broke out early Friday morning in a century-old building in the city’s Old Montreal district, leaving one person hospitalized with burns and another treated for shock.

Authorities said the fire began around 2:40 a.m. on the ground floor of a building on Notre-Dame Street East, which houses a restaurant, while the upper floors were used for short-term rentals. The cause of the fire remains unknown, but police have taken over the case because it is considered suspicious.

About 125 firefighters were called to the scene, working for several hours to bring the flames under control as smoke billowed across the city’s historic district. One person was transported to hospital with burn injuries, while another was treated at the scene.

City records show the property, built in 1923, is owned by Emile Benamor, who also owns another nearby heritage building that was destroyed in a March 2023 fire that killed seven people. That earlier incident had raised serious questions about fire safety standards in heritage structures used for temporary accommodations.

Police and fire officials say the investigation will determine whether there is any connection between the two fires.

Latest news

b-c-and-federal-government-announce-funding-to-support-victims-of-extortion-cases
BCNov 28, 2025

B.C. and Federal Government Announce Funding to Support Victims of Extortion Cases

B.C. Premier David Eby and the federal government have committed 500,000 dollars each to support people affected by a rising number of extortion cases in the province. The announcement followed a roundtable meeting in Surrey on Friday, where officials discussed ongoing threats that have targeted residents and business owners in several communities. The meeting brought together Premier Eby, Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke and federal Public Safety Minister Gary Anandasangaree, along with senior law enforcement representatives. Participants reviewed current investigations and explored ways to improve
IndiaNov 28, 2025

Punjab announces December 14 vote for Zila Parishad and Panchayat Samiti elections

Punjab has scheduled elections for Zila Parishad and Panchayat Samiti bodies for December 14, introducing several procedural changes aimed at improving participation and oversight. The State Election Commission confirmed that ballots will be cast using paper ballots instead of electronic voting machines, marking a shift from recent local elections. Half of all seats will be reserved for women, a measure officials say is intended to strengthen representation and broaden community involvement in local governance. Vote counting is set for December 17. For the first time, each district will have a
conservation-officers-capture-two-more-grizzlies-as-investigation-continues-into-bella-coola-attack
BCNov 28, 2025

Conservation officers capture two more grizzlies as investigation continues into Bella Coola attack

Provincial conservation officers have captured two additional grizzly bears on British Columbia’s central coast as the search continues for the animal responsible for last week’s attack on a group of schoolchildren and their teachers near Bella Coola. The B.C. Conservation Officer Service says the bears are being held for assessment while forensic evidence from the attack site undergoes analysis. The incident left three students and a teacher with serious injuries during a field trip involving about 20 participants. Authorities believe a grizzly sow and two cubs may have been involved, and
AlbertaNov 28, 2025

Alberta projects $6.4B deficit as lower oil prices strain provincial revenues

Alberta is now forecasting a $6.4-billion deficit for the current fiscal year as softer oil prices and ongoing trade uncertainty continue to weigh on the province’s finances. The updated number represents only a modest improvement from the $6.5-billion shortfall estimated in the summer fiscal outlook. The new projection marks a significant reversal from last year’s $8.3-billion surplus, underscoring how quickly Alberta’s resource-driven revenues can shift. According to the province, non-renewable resource income has fallen by roughly 30 per cent compared with last year, a decline driven
canada-posts-stronger-than-expected-economic-growth-in-third-quarter
CanadaNov 28, 2025

Canada posts stronger than expected economic growth in third quarter

Canada’s economy regained momentum over the summer months, with new federal data showing a 2.6 per cent annualized increase in real gross domestic product during the third quarter. Statistics Canada’s latest release indicates the rebound was considerably stronger than forecasts from the Bank of Canada and private sector economists, many of whom expected only modest growth. The agency reports that a sharp drop in imports combined with slightly higher exports helped strengthen the country’s trade position. Federal capital spending – including major procurement of new military equipment ?

Related News