12.39°C Vancouver

Jun 3, 2021 3:17 PM -

India will continue to ensure fugitive Mehul Choksi is brought back: MEA

Share On
india-will-continue-to-ensure-fugitive-mehul-choksi-is-brought-back-mea
India will continue to ensure fugitive Mehul Choksi is brought back: MEA

India will continue to ensure that fugitive diamantaire Mehul Choksi is brought back to the country, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said here on Thursday.

"India remains steadfast in its efforts that fugitives are brought back to India. He is currently in the custody of Dominica with some legal proceedings underway. We will continue to ensure he is brought back to India," MEA spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said during a briefing.

Choksi had gone missing from Antigua on May 23 after going out for dinner and was soon caught in Dominica after Antigua police launched a manhunt for Mehul Choksi last month.

Choksi was charged with illegal entry by the police in Dominica after he allegedly escaped from Antigua and Barbuda in a possible attempt to evade extradition to India.
A Dominican court on Thursday denied bail to Mehul Choksi.

During the hearing, Dominican Judge Bernie Stephenson said the fugitive businessman must answer the illegal entry charges into Dominica in Magistrates court.

Choksi and his nephew Nirav Modi are accused in the Rs 13,500 crore Punjab National Bank fraud case.

Choksi fled the country. He was granted citizenship of Antigua and Barbuda in January 2018. He is involved in a legal battle to prevent his extradition to India.

Meanwhile, the fugitive diamantaire's lawyer Vijay Aggarwal said on Wednesday Choksi was kidnapped, he did not go to Dominica on his own free will and added that the only question in front of the Dominican court is whether he entered Dominica illegally or not and whether the local police has the right to keep him in custody.

Latest news

death-toll-rises-to-24-after-russian-missile-strike-on-kyiv-apartment-building-zelenskyy-says
WorldMay 15, 2026

Death toll rises to 24 after Russian missile strike on Kyiv apartment building, Zelenskyy says

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Friday that the death toll from a Russian missile strike on a Kyiv apartment building has risen to 24, including three children, after emergency crews completed search operations at the site. In posts published on X, Zelenskyy said rescue workers spent more than a day clearing debris from the damaged nine-storey residential building following Thursday’s attack. Ukrainian officials also reported 48 people injured in the broader assault on the capital, including two children. According to the Ukrainian air force, the strike formed part of what offic
911-communications-workers-in-b-c-vote-95-in-favour-of-strike-action
BCMay 15, 2026

911 communications workers in B.C. vote 95% in favour of strike action

A union representing more than 700 emergency communications workers in British Columbia says members have voted 95 per cent in favour of strike action as contract negotiations continue with E-Comm, the organization that operates many of the province’s 911 call services. CUPE 8911 said Thursday the vote reflects concerns among front-line staff about staffing shortages, workload pressures and long-term sustainability within the emergency communications system. The union said workers would be in a legal strike position once an essential services order is finalized through the labour relations p
carney-smith-expected-to-unveil-alberta-industrial-carbon-pricing-deal-tied-to-pipeline-plan
CanadaMay 15, 2026

Carney, Smith expected to unveil Alberta industrial carbon pricing deal tied to pipeline plan

Prime Minister Mark Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith are expected to announce an agreement Friday on the future of industrial carbon pricing in Alberta, a move both governments have linked to plans for a new bitumen export pipeline to Canada’s West Coast. According to a source familiar with the discussions, the agreement would see Alberta’s industrial emissions price rise to an effective rate of $130 per tonne by 2040. Alberta froze its industrial carbon price at $95 per tonne last year. The expected announcement follows a memorandum of understanding signed by Ottawa and Alberta i
AlbertaMay 15, 2026

Re-entry to begin for some evacuees after Woodlands County wildfire holds steady

Some residents forced from their homes earlier this week due to a wildfire northwest of Edmonton could begin returning Friday as fire conditions stabilize in parts of Woodlands County. Woodlands County officials said on social media that re-entry is expected to begin for residents in Zone 1 only, while evacuation orders for other affected areas remain in place. Residents returning to the area are being asked to complete a waiver because the wildfire is still considered active. About 140 residents were ordered to evacuate Monday as crews responded to a wildfire near the town of Whitecourt, loca
CanadaMay 15, 2026

Indian man pleads guilty in cross-border human smuggling case linked to Canada–U.S. route

A 22-year-old Indian national has pleaded guilty in a U.S. court in connection with a human smuggling network accused of moving Indian migrants from Canada into the United States illegally, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. Authorities allege Shivam Lnu was involved in a cross-border operation that transported migrants from Canada into New York State between October 2024 and June 2025. Investigators said the network later arranged travel for migrants to other parts of the United States. According to the Justice Department, Shivam’s role included coordinating drivers, arranging pic

Related News