14.93°C Vancouver

Jan 6, 2020 11:14 PM -

India: Delhi polls on February 8

Share On
india-delhi-polls-on-february-8
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal talking to media/ ANI

Assembly polls will be held in Delhi on February 8 to decide who will rule the national capital for the next five years with the ruling Aam Aadmi Party making a determined bid to return to power and the BJP seeking to have a chief minister in the metropolis after 20 years.

The Congress, which has ruled Delhi for 15 successive years, is also making efforts to regain its support base.

The poll schedule was announced by Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora at a press conference here. Counting of votes will take place on February 11.

Assembly elections will be held in the backdrop of protests in some parts of the city over the Citizenship Amendment Act. The Jawaharlal Nehru University saw unprecedented violence on Sunday and the issue is expected to figure during the campaign.

The AAP government is fighting the polls on the work done over the past five years. Apart from other promises, BJP is expecting to earn the goodwill of people on the move of the central government to bring a law to provide ownership rights to people in illegal colonies of Delhi which is expected to benefit over 40 lakh people.

Model Code of Conduct has come into force in Delhi with the announcement of the poll schedule.

Arora said that election notification will be issued on January 14, the last date of nomination of candidates is January 21, scrutiny of nominations will take place on January 22 and the last date of withdrawal of candidature is January 24.

Answering a query, Arora said the poll panel takes impartial decisions.

"Most of them (political parties) come to see us and we all meet very pleasantly. What they say outside Election Commission gates... It is not for us to be kind of judging on comments given by political entities because we believe after voters and political entities are the most important stakeholders in the country. They are welcome to have their views," he said.

"During Lok Sabha elections, one of the very senior chief ministers had been directed not to participate anywhere in the country for 72 hours. Actions were taken by Election Commission and same will be done if required," he added.

Arora said 1.46 crore voters will be eligible to exercise their franchise in the elections and voting will take place 13,750 polling stations and 90,000 officials will be deployed in the election process.

Asked about the situation in Delhi where protests have been held over CAA, Arora said they have had interactions at various levels and expressed confidence that the situation will remain conducive for polls.

"In case of the extraordinary situation during polling, the possibility of deferring the polls is there. Constitution empowers the ECI to take a call if required," he said.

The Election Commissioner said that pick and drop facility will be provided to Divyang voters and senior citizens during Delhi assembly election.

Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), BJP and Congress expressed confidence of winning the elections.

BJP president and Union Home Minister Amit Shah accused the ruling AAP of not fulfilling its promises. Shah said in a tweet that Delhi will choose a government under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said that AAP will lead a "positive campaign" and fight the next month's assembly elections on development issues like education, hospital, and infrastructure.

Congress leader Randeep Singh Surjewala said that the vote share of the party has increased in Delhi in last five years. He also said that the development of Delhi has been blocked due to "blame-game" politics between AAP and BJP.

In 2015 assembly polls, AAP won 67 of 70 seats while the BJP could win only three. Congress, which was in power for 15 years in Delhi between 1998 to 2013, failed to get any seat.

Latest news

pbo-says-canadian-governments-to-spend-1-billion-to-host-world-cup
CanadaMay 20, 2026

PBO says Canadian governments to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

The federal budget watchdog says Canada will spend just over $1 billion to host the World Cup this summer. That includes money from all levels of government, with the federal government contributing $473 million. The total averages to $82 million per game for the 13 games that will be played in Toronto and Vancouver. The parliamentary budget officer says that’s about in line with what previous host countries spent. In April, the federal government said it was allocating up to $145 million for security at the World Cup in addition to previously announced funding, with the money going toward r
IndiaMay 20, 2026

Heatwave to Persist Across Most Parts of Punjab and Haryana Until May 25, 2026

The intense heatwave conditions in Punjab continue to worsen with scorching temperatures and hot winds forcing people to remain indoors. Roads are appearing deserted during afternoon hours, with curfew-like conditions being witnessed in several areas. Amid the rising temperatures, the Meteorological Department in Chandigarh has issued a special weather bulletin warning of severe heatwave conditions across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh for the next seven days. According to the weather department, heatwave conditions are expected to prevail across most parts of Punjab and Haryana from May 19 t
carignan-nominated-for-a-senior-advisory-role-in-nato
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Carignan nominated for a senior advisory role in NATO

The Liberal government in Ottawa is nominating the head of Canada's military, Gen. Jennie Carignan, as a candidate for a top role in NATO. Defence Minister David McGuinty announced her candidacy for chair of the NATO Military Committee — the main military adviser for NATO's Secretary General, Mark Rutte. An election is set for September to find a successor for the outgoing chair, Italy's Admiral Giuseppe Cavo Dragone, whose term ends next summer. As for Rutte, his four-year term ends in 2028, but could be renewed for another term. Carignan has served as chief of the defence staff since summe
AlbertaMay 19, 2026

Edmonton councillor proposes “Forever Canadian Avenue” outside Alberta legislature

An Edmonton city councillor says he plans to seek a symbolic street renaming outside the Alberta legislature following the success of a pro-Canada petition campaign. Coun. Michael Janz said he will submit an application to rename the portion of 99 Avenue directly in front of the legislature grounds to “Forever Canadian Avenue.” The proposed name references the “Forever Canadian” petition, which gathered enough signatures in December to advance under Alberta’s citizen initiative process. According to the petition organizers, the proposed referendum question asks Albertans: “Do you a
canada-advises-against-travel-to-eastern-congo-amid-ebola-outbreak
CanadaMay 19, 2026

Canada advises against travel to eastern Congo amid Ebola outbreak

The federal government is advising Canadians to avoid travel to eastern regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo following an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo virus, a rare strain with no approved vaccines or treatments. According to the World Health Organization, more than 500 suspected cases have been reported, including at least 130 deaths. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday he is concerned about the “scale and spread of the epidemic.” Global Affairs Canada updated its travel advisory to warn against all travel to Ituri province, where the outbreak wa

Related News