0.36°C Vancouver

Jul 1, 2020 3:36 PM -

Hong Kong police make first arrests under new security law

Share On
hong-kong-police-make-first-arrests-under-new-security-law
Protesters gesture with five fingers, signifying the Five demands - not one less in a shopping mall during a protest against China's national security legislation in Hong Kong, Monday, June 1, 2020. AP Photo/Vincent Yu

Hong Kong police have made the first arrests under a new national security law imposed by mainland China, as thousands of people defied tear gas and pepper pellets to protest against it.

Police say they arrested 10 people under the law, including at least one who was carrying a Hong Kong independence flag.

The law, which took effect Tuesday night, makes activities deemed subversive or secessionist punishable by up to life in prison.

It appears directly aimed at activities that occurred during anti-government demonstrations last year.

The 10 people arrested under the new law are among about 370 detained Wednesday on various charges on the 23rd anniversary of the former British colony's handover to Chinese rule.

Latest news

WorldFeb 18, 2026

Fireworks shop explosion in central China leaves 12 dead, investigation underway

A powerful explosion at a fireworks retail shop in central China has left 12 people dead, according to local authorities. The blast occurred Wednesday in the city of Xiangyang, located in Hubei province. Officials said the explosion triggered a large fire that destroyed an area of roughly 50 square metres around the store. Emergency response teams were dispatched to the scene shortly after the blast was reported. Firefighters brought the flames under control after several hours of rescue efforts. Authorities have not yet confirmed the cause of the explosion and an investigation is ongoing. Ind
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-one-week-before-provincial-budget
FeaturedFeb 18, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address one week before provincial budget

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says she will address Albertans in a televised speech on Thursday, one week before the province’s 2026 budget is tabled in the legislature. Smith made the announcement during an unrelated news conference in Calgary but did not provide details on what topics she intends to cover. A spokesperson for the Premier’s Office said further information about the address would be released at a later time. The speech comes ahead of Finance Minister Nate Horner’s scheduled budget presentation on Feb. 26. The government has already signalled that the fiscal plan will ref
alberta-to-invest-400-million-dollars-in-new-water-bombers-to-modernize-wildfire-fleet
AlbertaFeb 18, 2026

Alberta to invest 400 million dollars in new water bombers to modernize wildfire fleet

The Alberta government says it will spend 400 million dollars to strengthen its aging fleet of water bombers, part of a long term strategy to address increasingly severe wildfire seasons across the province. Premier Danielle Smith announced the agreement with De Havilland Aircraft of Canada, which is expected to deliver the first of five new aircraft in 2031. The remaining planes will be phased in over subsequent years. Smith said the investment is separate from the roughly 160 million dollars Alberta allocates annually for wildfire response operations. The province has faced longer and more d
prime-minister-mark-carney-to-visit-richmond-and-vancouver-for-community-events-and-party
CanadaFeb 18, 2026

Prime Minister Mark Carney to Visit Richmond and Vancouver for Community Events and Party

Prime Minister Mark Carney is scheduled to visit British Columbia today, with stops in Richmond and Vancouver focused on community engagement and Liberal Party activities. According to the Prime Minister’s Office, Carney will join members of the local community in Richmond to take part in Lunar New Year celebrations, an event that draws significant participation from the region’s large Chinese Canadian population. Richmond is home to one of the largest Asian communities in Canada, and Lunar New Year events are considered an important cultural and civic gathering across Metro Vancouver. Lat
john-rustad-will-not-enter-b-c-conservative-leadership-race
BCFeb 17, 2026

John Rustad will not enter B.C. Conservative leadership race

Former John Rustad has confirmed he will not seek the leadership of the BC Conservative Party, ending weeks of speculation about a possible return bid. In a statement released Saturday, Rustad said the decision followed considerable reflection. He began by thanking his wife for her support throughout his time in public life, describing her as his strongest source of encouragement during the pressures and challenges of political service. Rustad also expressed gratitude to supporters who had indicated they were prepared to back him in a leadership campaign. He said stepping aside was a decision

Related News