20.8°C Vancouver

Mar 2, 2021 3:43 AM -

Health officials release first details about the mass vaccination strategy in B.C.

Share On
health-officials-release-first-details-about-the-mass-vaccination-strategy-in-b-c
Health officials have released the first details about the mass vaccination strategy that aims to provide COVID-19 immunizations to about four million BC residents by September. (B.C. Government)

Health officials have released the first details about the mass vaccination strategy that aims to provide COVID-19 immunizations to about four million BC residents by September.

Beginning immediately, residents and staff of independent living centres, seniors' supportive housing facilities and those giving or receiving homecare support will be contacted to arrange appointments.

Seniors aged 90 and up will be eligible for a shot as early as next Monday, followed a week later by those aged 85 and over, while people over 80 can book starting March 22nd.

By mid-April, people between 60 and 79 and the medically vulnerable aged 16 and up can get their shots but must register for an appointment online.

BC is taking advantage of the strong immune response offered by the first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, and says it will nearly triple the time between the first and second shots to four months, up from the suggested 42 days.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says first doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines already offer what she calls "miraculous" protection of 90 per cent against the novel coronavirus.

She says increasing the time between the first and second doses of the vaccine will dramatically extend vaccine supplies, ensuring more people get their first shot.

Dr. Henry and Premier John Horgan made the announcement this morning and Dr. Henry says the National Advisory Committee on Immunization is expected to issue a statement soon, aligning with BC's decision.

Latest news

poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees
33-year-old-woman-arrested-after-multi-vehicle-crash-on-highway-1-in-abbotsford
BCAug 21, 2026

33-Year-Old Woman Arrested After Multi-Vehicle Crash on Highway 1 in Abbotsford

Abbotsford police have arrested a 33-year-old woman in connection with a multi-vehicle crash on Highway 1 Thursday night. Police say her red car collided with three other vehicles, including a semi-truck. The crash happened at around 10:41 p.m. in the eastbound lanes of Highway 1 near the Brander Road rest area. When officers arrived at the scene, they found several vehicles heavily damaged. According to the preliminary investigation, the woman was driving a Chevrolet Spark. The impact was severe, with part of the car's roof torn off and a tire coming off another vehicle. Despite the severity
montreal-to-equip-police-with-body-cameras-give-officers-new-powers
BCAug 21, 2026

Montreal to Equip Police with Body Cameras, Give Officers New Powers

Montreal Mayor Soraya Martinez Ferrada says police officers in the city will soon be equipped with body cameras and receive new powers to help them carry out their duties. The city plans to introduce a bylaw banning insults directed at municipal employees, including police officers. If approved, the bylaw would allow officers to issue fines to people who verbally abuse or insult them or other city employees. Martinez Ferrada made the announcement alongside Montreal’s police chief and the head of the police brotherhood. She emphasized that the proposed measure is not intended to prevent criti

Related News