16.77°C Vancouver

Apr 30, 2024 7:06 PM - The Canadian Press

Grandparents, grandchild among 4 dead in wrong-way 401 pursuit crash

Share On
grandparents-grandchild-among-4-dead-in-wrong-way-401-pursuit-crash
Police continued their pursuit as the van got on to Highway 401 near Stevenson Road and began travelling west in eastbound lanes, she said.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Two grandparents and their infant grandchild were killed on a busy stretch of Highway 401 on Monday night after a van being chased by police east of Toronto crashed while going the wrong way, causing a multi-vehicle collision.

The crash – which also left the person in the suspect van dead raised questions about the police pursuit that had been triggered by an alleged liquor store robbery, as Ontario's police watchdog began its investigation into what happened.

"It was a really big collision scene, and we're still trying to get to the bottom of how many vehicles, how were they involved, where people were from," Monica Hudon, a spokeswoman for the Special Investigations Unit said at a news conference Tuesday.

"As part of the investigation, we are going to look into the pursuit. When it started, where it started, what transpired."

The SIU said an off-duty police officer first reported an alleged robbery at an LCBO in Clarington, Ont., around 7:50 p.m. Monday to Durham Region police. Officers then found a cargo van of interest and began pursuing it, the watchdog said.

"Officers followed the cargo van through numerous streets in Durham region as the vehicle drove erratically," Hudon said.

Police continued their pursuit as the van got on to Highway 401 near Stevenson Road and began travelling west in eastbound lanes, she said.

About 20 minutes after the chase began, there was a crash involving six vehicles, Hudon said.

"Three individuals from a civilian vehicle were pronounced deceased at the scene, and in that vehicle were a 60-year-old, a 55-year-old, and an infant," Hudon said, adding that the infant was the grandchild of the adults killed.

She said another person was taken to the hospital with serious injuries

The SIU, which invokes its mandate any time a police officer has been involved in a serious injury, death or sexual assault, said it is investigating the circumstances of the crash and what led to it, including the police pursuit.

Hudon said she did not know if the police pursuit was called off or if officers were asked to pull back before the suspect van got onto the highway.

"It's still really early stages," she said, adding that police policies around pursuits would be part of what's examined. "We will be getting communications, recordings, doing interviews to figure out what happened, when and why."

Hudon did not have further information on the grandparents and infant killed.

The Durham Regional Police Service wrote in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, that they had been called to a robbery in Clarington, the suspect fled when officers arrived and a pursuit began.

"The suspect proceeded onto the 401 highway in the opposite direction, resulting in a multi-vehicle collision with fatalities," the force wrote, saying further information would follow.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford called the crash "heart wrenching."

"My heart goes out to the family and my condolences go out to them," he said.

"When you see everyone from a grandfather to a little baby, the loss of lives because someone decides to rob a liquor store and go on the other side of the highway, it's a tragedy."

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News