16.52°C Vancouver

Feb 3, 2022 1:20 AM - Connect News

Drug investigation results in trafficking and firearm charges

Share On
drug-investigation-results-in-trafficking-and-firearm-charges
Illegal drugs totalling tens of thousands of doses were seized as part of an inter-agency investigation that culminated in charges against five local people. (Photo - BC RCMP)

Illegal drugs totalling tens of thousands of doses were seized as part of an inter-agency investigation that culminated in charges against five local people.

The charges, which include possession for the purpose of trafficking and firearms offences, came following the conclusion of a Kamloops RCMP Targeted Enforcement Unit (TEU) investigation which began in April 2020.

By investigating suspects engaged in street level drug dealing of smaller amounts, TEU was able to follow their trail and identify those responsible for transporting large quantities of controlled substances into the community, said TEU Sergeant Todd Woon.

In July 2020, as a result of investigative efforts, TEU executed a search warrant at an address on the 600-block of Comox Avenue, during which cocaine, fentanyl, and a loaded prohibited firearm, were among items seized.

But the investigation didn’t end there. Through its ongoing efforts, TEU identified a suspected drug supplier in New Westminster believed to be responsible for supplying controlled substances to the Kamloops area.

Kamloops RCMP TEU and the New Westminster Police Department (NWPD) entered into a cooperative investigation focusing on suspected drug traffickers in both jurisdictions. In August 2020, a Cherry Creek man was arrested near Kamloops with more than one kilogram of cocaine, as a result of the joint effort.

In September, the partnership between Kamloops TEU and NWPD led to the arrest of a Kamloops man as he returned from New Westminster. Two kilograms of cocaine were seized from his vehicle, and a further two kilos of methamphetamine and one kilo of cocaine were located during a subsequent search of his property on the 1300-block of Kinross Place in Kamloops. A second property associated to the investigation, located on the 100-block of Holloway Drive in Tobiano, was also searched and yielded smaller quantities of controlled substances.

The impact of stopping those drugs from ever hitting the streets of Kamloops is immeasurable, said Sgt. Woon. Interrupting the supply chains into Kamloops helps prevent organized crime from developing a strong presence and increasing violence in the community.

Later in September 2020, the NWPD continued with its investigation into the suspected supplier that was previously identified by TEU. A search warrant was executed at a residence in New Westminster, resulting in the seizure of approximately 13 kg of cocaine, 10 kg of methamphetamine, two handguns, and approximately $300,000.

Lawrence Lloyd Pooli, 31, of Kamloops, is charged with one count of possession of fentanyl for the purpose of trafficking and one count of possession of ammunition while prohibited.

David Jeffrey Tremblay, 36, of Kamloops, is charged with one count each of possession of fentanyl for the purpose of trafficking; possession of a loaded prohibited firearm, to wit a .22 LR calibre Savage model A22 semi-automatic rifle, without being the holder of an authorization or license under which to possess the firearm and a registration certification for the firearm; storing said prohibited firearm in a careless manner; and breach of firearms prohibition.

Rylee Laureen Bains, 24, of Kamloops, is charged with one count each of possession of fentanyl for the purpose of trafficking; possession of a loaded prohibited firearm, to wit a .22 LR calibre Savage model A22 semi-automatic rifle, without being the holder of an authorization or license under which to possess the firearm and a registration certification for the firearm; and storing said prohibited firearm in a careless manner.

Jason Ray Sauka, 50, of Cherry Creek, is charged with one count of possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking.

Roberto Silio Lupi, 36, of Kamloops, is charged with two counts of possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking, and one count of possession of meth for the purpose of trafficking.

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News