18.72°C Vancouver

Apr 8, 2021 1:01 PM -

Did not give call to go to Red Fort, no evidence of mobilising crowd: Deep Sidhu to Delhi court during bail plea

Share On
did-not-give-call-to-go-to-red-fort-no-evidence-of-mobilising-crowd-deep-sidhu-to-delhi-court-during-bail-plea
Did not give call to go to Red Fort, no evidence of mobilising crowd: Deep Sidhu to Delhi court during bail plea

Actor-turned-activist Deep Sidhu, accused in the case of Republic day violence in Delhi, did not call for the protest, and there is no evidence that he mobilised the crowd to Red Fort, said Sidhu's layer during his bail plea hearing in Delhi court on Thursday.

During the bail hearing, Advocate Abhishek Gupta, appearing on behalf of Sidhu, said the call for protest was by farmer leaders, and his client is not a member of any farmers' union.

"The call for protest was by farmer leaders, I'm not a member of farmer union, no call was given by me to go to Red Fort. There is no evidence that I have mobilised the crowd," Sidhu's lawyer told the court on his behalf.

"He has not indulged in a single act of violence. He left even before violence erupted. He was even helping the police, he hasn't been a part of violence. Only people who have indulged in violence can be prosecuted. Mere presence does not make him a part of unlawful assembly," argued Sidhu's lawyer.

Advocate Gupta submitted that Delhi Police has two videos showing Sidhu was actually helping to pacify the crowd.

"We are carrying that video if my Lords wanted to see. He was a practicing lawyer and is also a Punjabi actor. He is being made a scapegoat as he is a known face," Gupta told the court.

"This is a media trial going on. Deep Sandhu was at the wrong place at the wrong time. FIR says that people broke the gates and climbed the rampart at 12.30 pm. He reached there after 2 pm," the lawyer submitted.

The Public Prosecutor appearing for Delhi Police argued that fundamental rights don't mean that one can harm the police officials. "Do the policemen don't have any fundamental rights?" asked the Public Prosecutor.

Later, the court adjourned the matter for Monday and asked for transcripts of Sidhu's speeches.

Delhi Police had arrested actor-turned-activist Deep Sidhu on February 9 for his alleged involvement in January 26 violence in the national capital.

"The names of Punjabi actor Deep Sidhu and others were included in the FIR registered in connection with the violence at Red Fort in Delhi on Republic Day," Delhi Police said earlier while adding that Sidhu was involved in the incident.

"On January 26 some people hoisted the flag at Red Fort. Some of them have been identified out of which Deep Sidhu is the prime accused," Delhi Police had said.

On Republic Day, protestors allegedly did not follow the pre-arranged route and broke barricades to enter Delhi, clashed with police and vandalised property in several parts of the national capital during the farmers' tractor rally.

They also entered the Red Fort and unfurled their flags from its ramparts.

Farmers have been protesting at the different borders of the national capital since November 26 against the three newly enacted farm laws: Farmers' Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Act, 2020; the Farmers Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Act 2020 and the Essential Commodities (Amendment) Act, 2020.

Latest news

carney-says-new-oil-pipeline-would-require-emissions-plan-indigenous-consultation
BCMay 20, 2026

Carney says new oil pipeline would require emissions plan, Indigenous consultation

Prime Minister Mark Carney says any future oil pipeline connecting Alberta to the British Columbia coast would depend on conditions including a major emissions-reduction project, economic benefits for B.C., and constitutionally required consultation with First Nations. Speaking to the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Carney said the pipeline proposal discussed last week between the federal and Alberta governments would only move forward alongside the proposed Pathways Alliance carbon capture project. He said Indigenous consultation under Section 35 of the Constitution is “non-negotiable.”
AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Alberta ticket wins $12.5M share of Lotto Max jackpot

A Lotto Max ticket purchased in Alberta has won a $12.5-million share of the latest jackpot draw, according to the Western Canada Lottery Corporation. The corporation said the winning ticket was sold somewhere in Alberta outside the Edmonton and Calgary regions. Another winning ticket was sold in Quebec, splitting the $25-million jackpot between the two winners. Lottery officials said the Alberta ticket holder has one year from the draw date to claim the prize. The winning location and ticket holder have not yet been identified publicly. The jackpot split means multiple winners matched all sev
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Rising FIFA World Cup ticket and hotel prices in Vancouver raising concerns for fans

Football fans hoping to attend FIFA World Cup matches in Vancouver are facing growing costs as ticket prices and hotel rates continue to climb ahead of the tournament. Reports indicate some match tickets are being listed for as much as $2,000. Accommodation costs in Vancouver have also become a concern for visitors planning trips to the city during the event. Experts say provincial restrictions on short-term rentals, along with annual licensing fee requirements, have reduced available accommodation options and contributed to higher hotel prices. Jarrett Vaughan, a professor at the University o
shooting-at-surrey-home-under-investigation-police-say-extortion-link-suspected
BCMay 20, 2026

Shooting at Surrey home under investigation, police say extortion link suspected

Surrey Police Service is investigating an early morning shooting at a residence in Surrey’s Newton neighbourhood that investigators believe may be connected to an extortion-related file. Police said frontline officers responded at about 4:40 a.m. Wednesday to reports of shots fired near 57 Avenue and 148 Street. According to SPS, officers found damage to a home and evidence of gunfire when they arrived. The residence was occupied at the time of the shooting, but no injuries were reported, police said. SPS said its Extortion Response Team has taken over the investigation. Integrated Forensic
AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Nenshi questions UCP committee meeting on Alberta petition process amid separatism debate

Alberta NDP Leader Naheed Nenshi says he is concerned Premier Danielle Smith’s government could alter or reinterpret a citizen petition process tied to Alberta’s place in Canada. Nenshi made the comments after the United Conservative government scheduled a committee meeting for Thursday to discuss a petition calling for Alberta to remain in Canada. The bipartisan committee is reviewing the petition under provincial rules governing citizen initiatives. According to Nenshi, the timing of the meeting has raised questions after a separate petition backed by Alberta separatists was reportedly l

Related News