21.32°C Vancouver

Jan 24, 2020 1:29 AM -

Court to announce the decision later, after first phase of an extradition hearing

Share On
court-to-announce-the-decision-later-after-first-phase-of-an-extradition-hearing
Meng Wanzhou chief financial officer of Huawei is surrounded by security as she leaves B.C. Supreme Court in Vancouver, Wednesday, January, 22, 2020. Wanzhou is in court for hearings over an American request to extradite the executive of the Chinese telecom giant Huawei on fraud charges. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward

A Canadian judge said Thursday she will announce her decision at a later date after she ended the first phase of an extradition hearing that will decide whether a top executive of Chinese tech giant Huawei is sent to the United States.

This week's hearings dealt with the question of whether the U.S. charges against Meng Wanzhou, the daughter of Huawei's founder, are crimes in Canada as well. Her lawyers argued the case is really about U.S. sanctions against Iran, not a fraud case.

They maintain since Canada does not have similar sanctions against Iran, no fraud occurred.

Canada arrested Huawei's chief financial officer in December 2018 at Vancouver's airport at the request of the U.S. as she was changing flights.

The U.S. Justice Department accuses Huawei of using a Hong Kong shell company to sell equipment to Iran in violation of U.S. sanctions. It says Meng, 47, committed fraud by misleading the HSBC bank about the company's business dealings in Iran.

On Thursday, Canadian Department of Justice lawyer Robert Frater told Associate Chief Justice Heather Holmes that fraud is at the heart of the case and by lying to the bank, Meng put the bank at risk.

Frater said sanctions were the reason for the meeting with the bank, but it is the alleged misrepresentation that matters to the United States.

In his closing summation, defence lawyer Richard Peck reiterated the defence argument that sanctions, not fraud, are the essence of the case. “Right needs to be done.

Right is rooted not only in the statutory law, but it lays at the core of the rule of law." Peck said.

Homes said she would reserve her decision.

If the judge rules she finds that what Meng is charged with is not a crime in Canada, Meng will be free to leave Canada.

Meng, who is free on bail and living in one of the two Vancouver mansions she owns, waved to the public on the way in the courtroom.

The second phase of her extradition hearing, scheduled for June, will consider defence allegations that Canada Border Services, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the FBI violated Meng's rights while collecting evidence before she was actually arrested.

Beijing views Meng's case as an attempt to contain China's rise. Huawei represents China's progress in becoming a technological power and has been a subject of U.S. security concerns for years.

Meng denies the U.S. allegations. The U.S. Department of Justice has stressed that Meng's case is separate from the wider China-U.S. trade dispute.

Huawei is the biggest global supplier of network gear for cellphone and internet companies.

Washington is pressuring other countries to limit use of its technology, warning they could be opening themselves up to surveillance and theft.

China and the U.S. reached a "Phase 1" trade agreement last week, but most analysts say any meaningful resolution of the main U.S. allegation — that Beijing uses predatory tactics in its drive to supplant America's technological supremacy — could require years of contentious talks.

In apparent retaliation for Meng's arrest, China detained former Canadian diplomat Michael Kovrig and Canadian entrepreneur Michael Spavor. The two men have been denied access to lawyers and family and are being held in prison cells where the lights are kept on 24 hours a day.

China has also placed restrictions on various Canadian exports to China, including canola oil seed and meat. Last January, China also handed a death sentence to a convicted Canadian drug smuggler in a sudden retrial.

Latest news

poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees
33-year-old-woman-arrested-after-multi-vehicle-crash-on-highway-1-in-abbotsford
BCAug 21, 2026

33-Year-Old Woman Arrested After Multi-Vehicle Crash on Highway 1 in Abbotsford

Abbotsford police have arrested a 33-year-old woman in connection with a multi-vehicle crash on Highway 1 Thursday night. Police say her red car collided with three other vehicles, including a semi-truck. The crash happened at around 10:41 p.m. in the eastbound lanes of Highway 1 near the Brander Road rest area. When officers arrived at the scene, they found several vehicles heavily damaged. According to the preliminary investigation, the woman was driving a Chevrolet Spark. The impact was severe, with part of the car's roof torn off and a tire coming off another vehicle. Despite the severity
montreal-to-equip-police-with-body-cameras-give-officers-new-powers
BCAug 21, 2026

Montreal to Equip Police with Body Cameras, Give Officers New Powers

Montreal Mayor Soraya Martinez Ferrada says police officers in the city will soon be equipped with body cameras and receive new powers to help them carry out their duties. The city plans to introduce a bylaw banning insults directed at municipal employees, including police officers. If approved, the bylaw would allow officers to issue fines to people who verbally abuse or insult them or other city employees. Martinez Ferrada made the announcement alongside Montreal’s police chief and the head of the police brotherhood. She emphasized that the proposed measure is not intended to prevent criti

Related News