21.64°C Vancouver

Nov 1, 2023 6:30 PM - The Canadian Press

CM Bhagwant Mann attends open debate alone, verbally attacks empty chairs

Share On
cm-bhagwant-mann-attends-open-debate-alone-verbally-attacks-empty-chairs
BJP President Sunil Jakhar raised questions on Chief Minister Bhagwant's open debate, saying that the police did not allow the common people to enter the debate. (Photo: X/Bhagwant Mann)

The open debate on Punjab issues has been boycotted by the opposition parties.

The open debate hosted by Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann was held at the Dr. Manmohan Singh Auditorium of the Punjab Agricultural University, in which no leader of the opposition attended.

CM Mann directed his hand towards the empty seats and launched sharp verbal attacks on the political opponents.

He said that these leaders did not have any answers to their questions, that is why they ran away today.

Speaking during the 'I speak Punjab' debate, the Chief Minister said that these leaders could not find a single flaw against me and my government for the past 25 days, due to which they could not come before me on issues related to Punjab.

On the other hand, the leader of the opposition, Pratap Singh Bajwa, said that it is a matter of regret that the great debate has become a drama instead of a debate.

Along with this, BJP President Sunil Jakhar raised questions on Chief Minister Bhagwant's open debate, saying that the police did not allow the common people to enter the debate.

He satirized the deployment of police and said that this program was to be conducted in Police Academy Phillaur.

With this, there was no need to seal Ludhiana city and Punjabis would not have to suffer.

Shiromani Akali Dal president Sukhbir Badal has also said that curfew was imposed, public entry was banned, anti-riot teams were deployed, representatives of organizations were detained and neutral media was stopped.

He wondered that what kind of "open" debate was this.

Latest news

BCAug 17, 2026

B.C. Conservatives Slam Eby Cabinet Shuffle

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad and Surrey-Cloverdale MLA Eleanor Sturko have sharply criticized Premier David Eby’s latest cabinet shuffle. Rustad described the new appointments - including Josie Osborne as finance minister and Ravi Kahlon as health minister - as little more than a “musical chairs” exercise. He argued that replacing ministers will not address the province’s growing tax burden and large deficits, saying the Eby government has no concrete plan to bring spending and finances under control. Sturko, meanwhile, accused the NDP government of failing to address hom
shots-fired-at-abbotsford-home-while-family-was-sleeping
BCAug 17, 2026

Shots Fired at Abbotsford Home While Family Was Sleeping

A shooting at a home in Abbotsford is under investigation after several bullets were fired at the residence early Sunday morning. Police say they were called around 1 a.m. on August 16 to a home in the 2100 block of Enderby Street, near McMillan Road, after receiving reports of gunfire. When officers arrived, they found that the home had been struck by multiple bullets. Family members were inside the residence and asleep at the time of the shooting. Fortunately, no one was injured. The Abbotsford Police Major Crime Unit has taken over the investigation. Based on the initial findings, police do
IndiaAug 17, 2026

BJP Announces Major Organisational Reshuffle Ahead of 2027 Punjab Assembly Polls

Ahead of the 2027 Punjab Assembly elections, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has carried out a major organisational reshuffle, handing key responsibilities to two prominent leaders associated with Punjab. Under the new appointments announced by BJP national president Nitin Nabin, former Punjab Finance Minister Manpreet Singh Badal has been appointed as the party’s National Vice-President. Meanwhile, BJP National General Secretary Tarun Chugh has been given the additional responsibility of being in charge of the party’s national headquarters. The appointments give Punjab representation at
historic-energy-deal-reached-between-quebec-and-newfoundland-and-labrador
CanadaAug 17, 2026

Historic Energy Deal Reached Between Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador

Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced a historic energy agreement between Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador, raising hopes that the decades-old dispute between the two provinces over the Churchill River hydroelectric projects will finally come to an end. The energy projects, worth approximately $70 billion, will also receive significant support from the federal government. Ottawa has announced $10 billion in financial assistance for the expansion of the Churchill Falls power projects, the Gull Island hydroelectric project and a 2,000-megawatt onshore wind energy project in Labrador. Prim
AlbertaAug 17, 2026

Edmonton Teen Girl Dies After Weekend Shooting

Police in Edmonton are investigating a weekend shooting that claimed the life of a 16-year-old girl. Officers were called to an area in northeast Edmonton on Sunday morning, where they found the teenager suffering from serious injuries. Paramedics pronounced her dead at the scene. The Edmonton Police Service said homicide investigators have taken over the investigation.

Related News