15.56°C Vancouver

Feb 7, 2020 2:55 AM -

Chinese doctor who broke news on "SARS-like" disease dies of Coronavirus

Share On
chinese-doctor-who-broke-news-on-sars-like-disease-dies-of-coronavirus
Li Wenliang died of the deadly disease in the early hour of Friday (local time) at the Wuhan Central Hospital. In the photo some doctors inspecting sympotoms in China. File photo-ANI.

The Chinese doctor who first broke out the information about a "SARS-like" disease in December last year died of the coronavirus.

Li Wenliang died of the deadly disease in the early hour of Friday (local time) at the Wuhan Central Hospital.

"Our hospital's ophthalmologist Li Wenliang was unfortunately infected with coronavirus during his work in the fight against the coronavirus epidemic," the hospital statement read on Friday, as quoted by CNN.

Soon after the news of Li's death broke out, Chinese people started pouring tribute to the doctor. In December last year, Li informed his medical school alumnus about the patients affected with a "SARS-like illness in his hospital in Wuhan. Following his message, Li was told to stop making false comments by the local police.

The deadly virus has so far killed 638 around the world with over 31,000 cases reported in mainland China alone.

The virus was diagnosed first in December in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province and has spread to most parts of the world.

While no reliable treatment currently exists for the virus, a very skewed number of health organisations has had some positive results with a mixture of HIV and other antiviral medicines.

As a precautionary measure several countries, including the US, Australia, and Singapore have temporarily shut their doors to non-citizens who have recently travelled to China.

Moreover, the World Health Organization declared a global health emergency in the wake of the outbreak.

Latest news

b-c-premier-eby-to-raise-carbon-pricing-concerns-in-meeting-with-prime-minister-carney
BCMay 20, 2026

B.C. Premier Eby to raise carbon pricing concerns in meeting with Prime Minister Carney

B.C. Premier David Eby is set to meet Prime Minister Mark Carney on Wednesday, where he is expected to raise concerns over a proposed federal carbon pricing exemption for Alberta. The meeting follows comments made by Eby on Tuesday criticizing what he described as preferential treatment toward Alberta amid ongoing national policy discussions. Eby said the federal government should not focus its attention on premiers raising concerns about national unity while overlooking broader provincial consultation. The dispute comes after Prime Minister Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced
pbo-says-canadian-governments-to-spend-1-billion-to-host-world-cup
CanadaMay 20, 2026

PBO says Canadian governments to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

The federal budget watchdog says Canada will spend just over $1 billion to host the World Cup this summer. That includes money from all levels of government, with the federal government contributing $473 million. The total averages to $82 million per game for the 13 games that will be played in Toronto and Vancouver. The parliamentary budget officer says that’s about in line with what previous host countries spent. In April, the federal government said it was allocating up to $145 million for security at the World Cup in addition to previously announced funding, with the money going toward r
IndiaMay 20, 2026

Heatwave to Persist Across Most Parts of Punjab and Haryana Until May 25, 2026

The intense heatwave conditions in Punjab continue to worsen with scorching temperatures and hot winds forcing people to remain indoors. Roads are appearing deserted during afternoon hours, with curfew-like conditions being witnessed in several areas. Amid the rising temperatures, the Meteorological Department in Chandigarh has issued a special weather bulletin warning of severe heatwave conditions across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh for the next seven days. According to the weather department, heatwave conditions are expected to prevail across most parts of Punjab and Haryana from May 19 t
carignan-nominated-for-a-senior-advisory-role-in-nato
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Carignan nominated for a senior advisory role in NATO

The Liberal government in Ottawa is nominating the head of Canada's military, Gen. Jennie Carignan, as a candidate for a top role in NATO. Defence Minister David McGuinty announced her candidacy for chair of the NATO Military Committee — the main military adviser for NATO's Secretary General, Mark Rutte. An election is set for September to find a successor for the outgoing chair, Italy's Admiral Giuseppe Cavo Dragone, whose term ends next summer. As for Rutte, his four-year term ends in 2028, but could be renewed for another term. Carignan has served as chief of the defence staff since summe
AlbertaMay 19, 2026

Edmonton councillor proposes “Forever Canadian Avenue” outside Alberta legislature

An Edmonton city councillor says he plans to seek a symbolic street renaming outside the Alberta legislature following the success of a pro-Canada petition campaign. Coun. Michael Janz said he will submit an application to rename the portion of 99 Avenue directly in front of the legislature grounds to “Forever Canadian Avenue.” The proposed name references the “Forever Canadian” petition, which gathered enough signatures in December to advance under Alberta’s citizen initiative process. According to the petition organizers, the proposed referendum question asks Albertans: “Do you a

Related News