6.51°C Vancouver

Aug 2, 2024 3:39 PM - The Canadian Press

Canadians urged to leave Lebanon as flights cancelled amid growing tensions

Share On
canadians-urged-to-leave-lebanon-as-flights-cancelled-amid-growing-tensions
The fear that her young daughters might witness violence does cause some concern, she said, but so far she has not personally seen any sign of conflict.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Lara Salameh was supposed to be flying out of Beirut Thursday en route to Montreal with her husband and two daughters, but the night before, their flight was cancelled. She said Air France told her service out of the Lebanese capital was suspended because of the unstable security situation — one that Ottawa has been warning Canadians about as fears of war between Israel and Hezbollah grow.

Salameh is one of the 21,399 Canadians registered as being in Lebanon, a country the Canadian government is urging its citizens to leave. It says they can’t rely on government evacuation flights if war engulfs Lebanon.

Canada has been planning since October for a possible evacuation of its citizens and sent military personnel to Lebanon and Cyprus in preparation.

Salameh hopes that her rescheduled flight on Aug. 10 will take off as planned, but she has no regrets. Travelling to her native country is more than a vacation, she said in an interview Thursday from Beirut. It is a chance for her children to spend time with their elderly grandparents, some of whom are ill.

“We expected that we might get stuck here, but we came anyways for family,”the Laval-Que. resident said, adding that the turmoil in the Middle East did make her hesitate before booking the trip this year.

“You can't leave your parents. They're getting old and we need to see them.”

The fear that her young daughters might witness violence does cause some concern, she said, but so far she has not personally seen any sign of conflict. If the situation does sour, she said, she can take refuge with family who live in the northern part of the country.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly has urged Canadians in the country to fly back to Canada immediately.

“If you are in Lebanon, come back home. If tensions escalate, the situation on the ground may not allow us to help you, and you won’t be able to leave,” Joly posted on X on Wednesday. The Canadian government noted that some airlines have already suspended service to Beirut. "Additional travel disruptions are likely, including airspace closures and flight cancellations and diversions," it said on X.

Hezbollah’s leader warned Thursday that the conflict with Israel has entered a “new phase,” as he addressed mourners at the funeral of a commander from the group who was killed by an Israeli airstrike this week in Beirut. Israel alleges the commander was behind a weekend rocket attack that killed 12 young people in the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights, but Hezbollah has denied the charge.

Not all Canadians in Lebanon are scrambling to get back, however.

Stephani Moukhaiber was born in Lebanon and returned there from Montreal last year after being laid off from her job. She said Thursday she has no intention of fleeing Lebanon, even as tensions rise.

Moukhaiber is a Canadian citizen, and she has been receiving regular messages from the Canadian government warning her to leave while flights are still available. “I'm not going to lie. I did have a moment of insecurity where I was like, 'Yeah, maybe I should go back,'" she said in a phone interview.

But she said the atmosphere where she lives in the mountains outside Beirut is calm, in part because locals have lived through many conflicts in recent decades, including a 2006 war between Israel and Hezbollah.

And Moukhaiber, who traces some of her roots to the Palestinian territories, cannot forgive Canada for its stance in the Israel-Hamas war. She said she does not want to return to Canada because she feels the country is not doing enough to stop Gazans from being killed.

“I'd rather be here in a state of war than be in a country that doesn't believe in my existence or (my) right to exist,” she said.

Latest news

b-c-and-federal-government-announce-funding-to-support-victims-of-extortion-cases
BCNov 28, 2025

B.C. and Federal Government Announce Funding to Support Victims of Extortion Cases

B.C. Premier David Eby and the federal government have committed 500,000 dollars each to support people affected by a rising number of extortion cases in the province. The announcement followed a roundtable meeting in Surrey on Friday, where officials discussed ongoing threats that have targeted residents and business owners in several communities. The meeting brought together Premier Eby, Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke and federal Public Safety Minister Gary Anandasangaree, along with senior law enforcement representatives. Participants reviewed current investigations and explored ways to improve
IndiaNov 28, 2025

Punjab announces December 14 vote for Zila Parishad and Panchayat Samiti elections

Punjab has scheduled elections for Zila Parishad and Panchayat Samiti bodies for December 14, introducing several procedural changes aimed at improving participation and oversight. The State Election Commission confirmed that ballots will be cast using paper ballots instead of electronic voting machines, marking a shift from recent local elections. Half of all seats will be reserved for women, a measure officials say is intended to strengthen representation and broaden community involvement in local governance. Vote counting is set for December 17. For the first time, each district will have a
conservation-officers-capture-two-more-grizzlies-as-investigation-continues-into-bella-coola-attack
BCNov 28, 2025

Conservation officers capture two more grizzlies as investigation continues into Bella Coola attack

Provincial conservation officers have captured two additional grizzly bears on British Columbia’s central coast as the search continues for the animal responsible for last week’s attack on a group of schoolchildren and their teachers near Bella Coola. The B.C. Conservation Officer Service says the bears are being held for assessment while forensic evidence from the attack site undergoes analysis. The incident left three students and a teacher with serious injuries during a field trip involving about 20 participants. Authorities believe a grizzly sow and two cubs may have been involved, and
AlbertaNov 28, 2025

Alberta projects $6.4B deficit as lower oil prices strain provincial revenues

Alberta is now forecasting a $6.4-billion deficit for the current fiscal year as softer oil prices and ongoing trade uncertainty continue to weigh on the province’s finances. The updated number represents only a modest improvement from the $6.5-billion shortfall estimated in the summer fiscal outlook. The new projection marks a significant reversal from last year’s $8.3-billion surplus, underscoring how quickly Alberta’s resource-driven revenues can shift. According to the province, non-renewable resource income has fallen by roughly 30 per cent compared with last year, a decline driven
canada-posts-stronger-than-expected-economic-growth-in-third-quarter
CanadaNov 28, 2025

Canada posts stronger than expected economic growth in third quarter

Canada’s economy regained momentum over the summer months, with new federal data showing a 2.6 per cent annualized increase in real gross domestic product during the third quarter. Statistics Canada’s latest release indicates the rebound was considerably stronger than forecasts from the Bank of Canada and private sector economists, many of whom expected only modest growth. The agency reports that a sharp drop in imports combined with slightly higher exports helped strengthen the country’s trade position. Federal capital spending – including major procurement of new military equipment ?

Related News