22.36°C Vancouver

Jan 31, 2024 4:13 PM - The Canadian Press

Economic bounce back at the end of 2023 could push back rate cuts, economists say

Share On
canadas-economy-started-to-get-back-on-track
Statistics Canada reported Wednesday the economy grew 0.2 per cent in November, marking the first expansion in six months.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Canada's economy appears to have ended 2023 on a stronger note than expected, which economists say could push back the timeline for interest rate cuts this year.

Statistics Canada reported Wednesday the economy grew 0.2 per cent in November, marking the first expansion in six months.

A preliminary estimate suggests real gross domestic product increased 1.2 per cent on an annualized basis in the fourth quarter, following a decline of a similar magnitude in the third quarter.

That would bring economic growth in 2023 to 1.5 per cent, StatCan said.

Those figures exceed the Bank of Canada's forecasts. The central bank projected 0.7 per cent growth in the fourth quarter and one per cent growth for 2023.

The Canadian economy has slowed over the past year as higher borrowing costs weigh on consumer spending and business investment. But it has so far avoided a recession.

Bank of Montreal chief economist Douglas Porter says the stronger-than-expected report on Wednesday suggests 2024 economic forecasts may need to be revised higher.

That also means the Bank of Canada can take its time before cutting interest rates.

"This solid result, after a long dry spell for growth, affords policymakers the ability to gently push back on easing chatter, as they wait for underlying inflation to come down further," Porter wrote in a client note.

While Statistics Canada offers a glimpse of what it expects in its preliminary estimates, final results can often greatly differ.

The federal agency said growth in November was driven by gains in goods-producing industries, including manufacturing and wholesale trade.

Meanwhile, education services sector shrank in the month as strikes in Quebec began.

The Bank of Canada as well as private sector economists expect economic growth to remain muted in the first half of 2024 before rebounding in the second half of the year.

The central bank is widely expected to start cutting interest rates as early as this spring.

At the last interest rate decision, governor Tiff Macklem indicated that conversations at the governing council have shifted toward the timing of rate cuts.

The central bank’s key interest rate currently sits at five per cent, the highest it’s been since 2001.

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News