22.1°C Vancouver

Jun 28, 2024 4:04 PM - The Canadian Press

Biden's performance leaves supporters worried after first presidential debate

Share On
bidens-performance-leaves-supporters-worried-after-first-presidential-debate
At a watch party in South Philadelphia, Danina Moore was a bit uneasy after the debate but the Democrat says she’s hopeful people will see that it’s important to support Biden.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

The first debate between Joe Biden and Donald Trump may not have brought the surge of excitement among voters that both leaders were looking for ahead of the November election.

The matchup saw the current president and his political rival exchange personal barbs as well as criticism over their legacies in the Oval Office.

But some Democratic supporters showed concern over portions of 81-year-old Biden’s uneven performance, which included a raspy voice and rambling responses.

At a watch party in South Philadelphia, Danina Moore was a bit uneasy after the debate but the Democrat says she’s hopeful people will see that it’s important to support Biden.

At the same watch party, Republican George Williams says he thought Trump walked away the more competent and coherent debater.

While Philadelphia is generally a Democratic stronghold, Pennsylvania has turned into a battleground state that could be important to win the presidency.

Trump took it in 2016 before it swung back to Biden in 2020.

Both leaders’ legacies were front and centre throughout the debate. Trump criticized Biden’s withdrawal of U.S. forces in Afghanistan. Biden said when Trump left office, “things were in chaos.”

Experts have said that many Americans aren’t engaging with either the Democratic or Republican campaigns. A lot of would-be voters aren’t supportive of either candidate.

When asked about age during the debate, Biden pointed out that Trump is 78.

“This guy’s three years younger and a lot less competent,” Biden said.

Trump, in response to a question about his age, pointed to the two cognitive tests he took, saying he “aced them” and called for Biden to take one.

Trump appeared energetic but not always accurate with his responses while Biden's jarring speech and missteps seemed more pronounced.

There were gasps from Democratic supporters during the Thursday evening watch party when Biden lost his train of thought while trying to make a point about tax rates and the number of billionaires in America near the beginning of the debate.

Williams said nothing that was said would sway his opinion. He’s basing his decision on Trump’s first term as president.

Latest news

b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic

Related News