18.96°C Vancouver

Jan 28, 2020 11:55 PM -

BC: Province confirms the acquisition of two more school sites

Share On
bc-province-confirms-the-acquisition-of-two-more-school-sites
Minister of Education, Rob Fleming, Mayor Doug McCallum and Surrey Board of Education Chair, Laurie Larsen/ Connect News

Surrey families and future residents will benefit as the Province confirms the acquisition of two more school sites.

Securing the sites will help with future planning, so schools can be built more quickly.

"Our government is acting now to make sure land is in place to build new schools for students, as Surrey's population continues to grow," said Rob Fleming, Minister of Education.

"These are forward-thinking investments that will be vital to getting more students out of portables and into the positive, engaging and inspiring classrooms that they deserve."

The Government of B.C. is providing $25.5 million for the Surrey School District to purchase a school site in the Redwood Heights neighbourhood.

The school district has also secured a school site for a new elementary school in the South Newton neighbourhood.

These land purchases are in addition to the land that was purchased for an elementary school in Sunnyside Heights last year.

New schools will be needed soon in Redwood Heights, South Newton and Sunnyside to accommodate new and existing developments that are adding thousands of new families to the communities.

"Today's announcement of new school sites for Surrey lines up with the Smart Development initiative my council colleagues and I have put in place for our city," said Doug McCallum, mayor of Surrey.

"It's no secret that for far too long, developments in Surrey were being approved without the essential infrastructure, such as schools, needed to support a new community.

With Smart Development, the City of Surrey has purchased property for parkland use that will complement the new school and any future development in the Redwood Heights neighbourhood."

"The Surrey School District is the largest and fastest-growing district in the province. Our student population has been steadily increasing every year," said Laurie Larsen, chair, Surrey Board of Education.

"We currently have almost 74,000 students, and we're projecting an additional 1,000 students for the next school year.

This type of growth requires strong partnerships with all levels of government.

Latest news

poilievre-says-conservatives-would-campaign-against-alberta-separation-referendum
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Poilievre says Conservatives would campaign against Alberta separation referendum

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he and all Conservative MPs would campaign to keep Alberta in Canada if a referendum on separation is held in the province. Poilievre said the party would take the same position in Quebec if a Parti Québécois government were elected and moved ahead with a sovereignty referendum there. The comments come as Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is expected to deliver a televised address later today. Her United Conservative government is considering whether to include a question related to Alberta’s future within Canada in a series of referendums planned for
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-amid-renewed-separation-referendum-debate
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address amid renewed separation referendum debate

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is scheduled to deliver a televised address Thursday evening amid renewed political debate over a possible referendum on Alberta’s future within Confederation. The address is set to air at 6:45 p.m. on CTV, Global and Rogers television networks and will also be livestreamed on the premier’s social media channels. The appearance follows controversy at a United Conservative Party caucus committee meeting Wednesday, where members debated a motion urging Smith to call an Oct. 19 referendum on Alberta’s place in Canada. The motion, introduced by UCP member Nate
alberta-premier-danielle-smith-announces-cabinet-shuffle-amid-referendum-process
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announces cabinet shuffle amid referendum process

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced a cabinet shuffle Thursday, with several senior ministers receiving new portfolios as the provincial government continues work related to a proposed referendum process in the province. Lieutenant Governor Salma Lakhani administered the oath of office to the newly appointed ministers during a ceremony in Edmonton. Jason Nixon was appointed Alberta’s new finance minister, while Adriana LaGrange returned to the hospitals and surgical health services portfolio. Tara Sawyer was named minister of agriculture and irrigation. Nathan Neudorf was appointed mini
carney-eby-discuss-fast-tracking-major-projects-during-vancouver-meeting
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Carney, Eby discuss fast-tracking major projects during Vancouver meeting

Prime Minister Mark Carney and British Columbia Premier David Eby held a closed-door meeting in Vancouver on Wednesday, where both leaders discussed a new co-operation agreement aimed at accelerating development projects across the province. Following the meeting, Carney said closer collaboration between federal and provincial governments would help strengthen Canada’s economy and move major projects forward more quickly. He said governments can achieve more when they work together and added that economic growth remains a priority. Earlier in the day, the prime minister addressed a business
unions-raise-concerns-over-possible-changes-to-federal-labour-laws-in-canada
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Unions raise concerns over possible changes to federal labour laws in Canada

Several Canadian unions are raising concerns over potential changes to federal labour laws being considered by Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government, warning the move could limit workers’ right to strike. According to reports, the federal government circulated a discussion paper on April 17 seeking feedback from selected stakeholders, including representatives from the airline, port, railway, telecommunications and banking sectors. Union groups say they are concerned the government could expand the number of workplaces classified as “essential services,” a designation that can restri

Related News